Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Luther Reed|
|Written by||Anne Caldwell (story)
Luther Reed (script)
Wheeler & Woolsey
Bill "Bojangles" Robinson
|Music by||Max Steiner|
|Cinematography||J. Roy Hunt|
|Studio||RKO Radio Pictures|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
|Release dates||August 1, 1930|
|Running time||100 minutes|
Dixiana (1930) is a lavish American musical film directed by Luther Reed and produced and distributed by RKO Radio Pictures. The final third of the picture was photographed in Technicolor. The film stars Bebe Daniels, Everett Marshall, Bert Wheeler, Robert Woolsey, Joseph Cawthorn, Jobyna Howland, Ralf Harolde and Bill "Bojangles" Robinson (in his film debut). The script was adapted by Luther Reed from a story by Anne Caldwell. The Technicolor sequences were considered lost for years, but were re-discovered in 1988 and subsequently included in the restored DVD. In 1958, the film entered the public domain (in the USA) due to the claimants failure to renew its copyright registration in the 28th year after publication. This film is also the first on which famous movie composer Max Steiner got his first screen credit.
The film tells the story of a circus performer who falls in love with the son of a plantation owner in antebellum New Orleans. When the young man's stepmother objects to the wedding, the young couple has to decide if they can make their relationship work.
- Bebe Daniels as Dixiana Caldwell
- Everett Marshall as Carl Van Horn
- Bert Wheeler as Peewee
- Robert Woolsey as Ginger Dandy
- Joseph Cawthorn as Cornelius Van Horn
- Jobyna Howland as Birdie Van Horn
- Dorothy Lee as Nanny
- Ralf Harolde as Royal Montague
- Bill Robinson as Specialty Dancer
The film lost an estimated $300,000.
- Richard Jewel, 'RKO Film Grosses: 1931-1951', Historical Journal of Film Radio and Television, Vol 14 No 1, 1994 p57
- Pierce, David (June 2007). "Forgotten Faces: Why Some of Our Cinema Heritage Is Part of the Public Domain". Film History: An International Journal 19 (2): 125–43. doi:10.2979/FIL.2007.19.2.125. ISSN 0892-2160. JSTOR 25165419. OCLC 15122313.
- Dixiana at the Internet Movie Database
- Dixiana is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more]
|This article about a musical film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|