Dixie Brewing Company
|Location||New Orleans, Louisiana, USA|
|Barrels per year||1,000,000 cases (pre-Katrina)|
|Owner(s)||Joe and Kendra Bruno|
The Dixie Brewing Company is a regional brewery founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1907. Its beer, currently contract-brewed, was brewed at what had been the only remaining large volume brewery within the city of New Orleans, prior to the that city's 2005 levee failures.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2013)|
In 1989, its owners filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, emerging reorganized in 1992 with a new line of specialty beers, including: Jazz Amber Light (introduced in 1993), Blackened Voodoo (a dark ale), and Crimson Voodoo (a red ale).
In 2005, the Dixie Brewery was severely damaged when Mid-City New Orleans flooded from the levee failure disaster during Hurricane Katrina. After the area was de-watered the brewery complex was looted with much of the equipment stolen. Despite early claims that the brewery would be restored, it remains off line as of December 2010 and the future of the facilities is uncertain. The brand remains in business, brewed under contract by breweries elsewhere. The building sits in the footprint of the new Department of Veterans Affairs hospital under construction in New Orleans' Mid-City neighborhood.
The brewery and/or its beer have been featured notably in films including RED, Southern Comfort, Tigerland, and Tightrope. It is briefly mentioned in novels such American Psycho and A Confederacy of Dunces.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dixie Brewery.|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
- Specific citations
- Ian McNulty (February 20, 2007), Confederacy of Suds, Gambit Weekly, archived from the original on 2007-03-18, retrieved 2013-05-03
- "Dixie". NOLABrewHistory.com. 2011. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Dixie". Distinguished Brands. Archived from the original on 2004-06-29. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Dixie out of Chapter 11 proceedings". Modern Brewery Age. TheFreeLibrary.com. March 2, 1992. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Dixie debuts new Jazz Amber Light". Modern Brewery Age. TheFreeLibrary.com. May 24, 1993. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- Couple Vows to Get Beer Flowing Again in 'Dixie', a June 2006 NPR article. Retrieved on 2013-05-03.
- Bring Dixie Home website. Retrieved on 2013-05-03.
- Clint Eastwood movie "Tightrope", 1984. from IMDb. Retrieved on 2013-05-03.
- General references