Djibril – The Devil Angel
|Djibril (Jiburiru)- The Devil Angel|
From left to right: Djibril Aries, Djibril, Luvriel, Djibril Zero, and Misty Mei
(Makai Tenshi Djibril)
|Genre||Hentai, Comedy, Magical girl|
|Makai Tenshi Djibril|
|Released||April 23, 2004 (Original Release), May 23, 2008 (Vista compatible)|
|Original video animation|
|Makai Tenshi Djibril 01|
|Released||2004 – 2006|
|Makai Tenshi Djibril 2|
|Released||April 22, 2005 (Original release), May 23, 2008 (Vista compatible)|
|Original video animation|
|Makai Tenshi Djibril 02|
|Directed by||Corrida (ep 1-2)
Jiro Nakano (ep 3-4)
|Released||2007 – 2009|
|Makai Tenshi Djibril 3|
|Released||June 27, 2008|
|Original video animation|
|Makai Tenshi Djibril 03|
|Directed by||Jiro Nakano|
|Released||2009 – 2010|
|Makai Tenshi Djibril 4|
|Released||April 23, 2010|
|Sengoku Tenshi Djibril|
|Released||July 29, 2011|
Djibril The Devil Angel (魔界天使ジブリール Makai Tenshi Jiburīru (Makai Tenshi Djibril)?) is a hentai anime OVA series, composed of 3 OVA series. This series is created by Kuuchuu Yousai and produced by Noboru Yamaguchi. It is based on the erotic video games Makai Tenshi Djibril, Makai Tenshi Djibril 2 and Makai Tenshi Djibril 3, which were created by Front Wing.
The game series also won a Bishojyo Game Award on September 5, 2008 as part of the best game series ever. The first two games were rereleased in 2008 due to a problem with DirectX 10 and the video playback software, causing Frontwing to standardize all three games released that year with the same engine, which removed compatibility with Windows 98 and Me. Makai Tenshi Djibril 4, the beginning of a new saga based at a school seemingly founded by Luvriel for Devil Angels, was released on April 23, 2010, and used, for the first time, graphics displayed in native 576i HD. For the 2011 game, instead of Djibril The Devil Angel 5, the game is called Djibril The Angel Of The Warring States (戦国天使ジブリール Sengoku Tenshi Jiburīru (Sengoku Tenshi Djibril)?), and features all six of the main characters from Djibril Episode 1 to 4 as if they are from the Sengoku period of Japan.
At the beginning of summer break, Naoto Jinno asked Rika Manabe to go out with him and was trying to propose his love to her at a park and eventually make love. They were then interrupted by a strange little boy dressed in medievil costume. He declared himself that he was a private in the army of Hell and was known as "the great Asmodeus”. Asmodeus dispatched tentacle creatures to knock Naoto down and grab Rika in an attempt to kidnap her, saying that he will corrupt her soul. At that very moment, a girl named Luvriel came to saved them after battling Asumo. Luvriel was knocked unconscious in the battle and was taken to Naoto’s home by them.
After regaining consciousness, Luvriel told them that the angels knew that the demons were suspicious and she was sent to the human world to investigate. She said that she was following the scent of the devil which lead her to the scene. Luvriel and Asmodeus lost most of their powers from that fight. So she needed someone else to become an angel to fight in her place and only Rika can do it because only a girl can become an angel. So Rika cheerfully volunteered to be an angel. However, they both were discomfited to learn that in order for her to become an angel, there are two conditions for that. She has to wear Luvriel's halo and store Amore power by making love with someone she cared for. Naoto was the only one to do that job, so they both reluctantly agreed to make love together.
After the fight, Asmodeus found Meimi Otonashi. He happened to see her stagger away crying after spying on Naoto as he asked Rika to go out with him. Taking advantage of her jealousy for his prey, Asmodeus turned Meimi into a demon and named her Misty Mei to help him attack and capture Rika. (But, much to Asmo's dismay, she turned out to be an uncontrollably temperamental subordinate [she really put the mental in temperamental] and thought of him as her slave.) Meanwhile, Luvriel had Naoto and Rika have sex together so that Rika could turn into "St. Djibril" (Jiburiru) to help her fight against Asmodeus.
After Luvriel tells them of some of the different sex techniques that they would have to engage in for Rika to gain different battle powers Rika becomes frightened of doing it all and runs out of the house and finds Asumo and Misty Mei attacking people in the park. (All of their attacks are by sexual assault with tentacle creatures.) Naoto and Luvriel catch up with her and Naoto throws Luvriel's halo to Rika’s head and she turned into Djibril. While her first defensive attack doesn't go well for her, Misty Mei literally blows (up) the attack anyway with her jealousy.
In the next three volumes it's try, try and try again for Asumo and Misty Mei as Naoto keeps not-so-selflessly "helping" Rika store-up Amore power with their "special training" and in the third volume Asumo's superior, General Reirouge tries to help him before his next attack by weakening Naoto by seducing him, while disguised as another character, in his home. But Asmo and Misty Mei wind up attacking Rika in another room while Reirouge is trying to wear Naoto out and she is no match for his sexual prowess and is unable to hold onto him when he takes off to help Rika after hearing her screams for help. In the last volume Reirouge takes matters into her own hands leading the next attack and takes Djibril to a special chamber she created for a demonic ceremony to turn Rika into a demon- angel (but she spares Rika from despair by not telling her why). Does Reirouge succeed with her plan?
After the first series ends, the story continues with "Djibril, the Second Coming" ("Book"s 1-4). New characters including Hikari Jinno (Jinno Hikari), Naoto's little sister (later on he calls her his sister-in-law and still later she becomes his step sister), who returned from studying overseas for a reason she keeps a secret and the new demon Miss Rococo, Asmo's sister (that is not mentioned in the anime movie), who seems to be a lesbian, appear in the new series, but Asmodeus and General Reirouge do not. Within the series, Rococo captures Meimi Otonashi with her tentacle creature the "Eternal (and frequently internal) Worm” and separates Misty Mei from her with the worm’s “special fluids” and Misty Mei attacks and captures Rika with Rococo's Eternal Worm.
After the kidnapping, Naoto becomes upset that Rika was taken away. Similar to Rika's fate in the first series, Luvriel gets Hikari to become a Djibril. However, for this to occur, Naoto must have sex with his step sister. Initially, Naoto is shocked and angered at Luvriel for insisting on such an incestuous-like act and refuses, but soon changes his mind when Hikari offers herself to him in order to save Rika. (Hikari has returned from overseas to confess her love for Naoto anyway.) After they have sex, Luvriel transforms sister Hikari into Djibril Aries and fights the forces of evil... including Dark Djibril, who Rococo transformed Djibril into by forced sex with her Eternal Worm monster and herself- (including by transforming her clitoris into a penis. [In a later "book" episode she does the same to Djibril].) Does Djibril Aries defeat Misty Mei, Rococo and does Dark Djibril turn back into Rika?
In the next movie volumes (which are only available in Japanese and with Japanese mosaic style censorship), this peace is short-lived, with a strange new photography student taking pornographic pictures of some of the students, something connected to the return of Misty Mei. When a more powerful monster than they've ever faced before attacks them, Hikari Jinno is abducted, and a new angel in the form of a blue-haired virtual girl- in fact a computer program named Nagi (or N.A.G.I. - New Angelic Gaia Interface, who is renamed Nagi Jinno) is activated and sent (by falling into Naoto's bath- while he's in it)- to help . She apparently is only activated when the risk is too high for a normal angel or human battle-angel to be sent into the field. Once the major danger has passed, she is recruited to help with the main mission, after some kind of strange spell is being cast on Rika and Hikari. Can Nagi rescue Hikari... or is it too late already?
- Naoto Jinno (神野直人 Jinno Naoto?)
- A main protagonist of the series. Ever since he met Rika when they were children, he became great friends with her. Until that incident that Rika had, Naoto wants to spend some more time with Rika and wanted to have a nice relationship with her, until Asmo came along and started trying to kidnap her. When Luvriel was knocked out in a stalemate in the battle with him, Naoto and Rika take her to his home help her. As they realize that Luvriel was really an Angel, she told them the facts behind the incident and that she was too injured to continue fighting the demon boy. Rika wanted to be an Angel just like Luvriel, but it turns out that she has to have sex (and thus lose her virginity) to store up Amore power to become an angel, so she decided to lose her virginity to Naoto. Later in the second series, he becomes more caring than perverted than before. Ever since Rika was kidnapped, he felt emotional feelings in himself and has been saddened when Rika was kidnapped and missed her. In this series we are introduced to his little step-sister, Hikari. She usually gets jealous but is sweet to her brother since they had genetic sexual attraction to each other, which causes Hikari to worry. However, Naoto lets her sister help save Rika for him by becoming a Devil Angel by having sex with him and fights for his love.
- Rika Manabe (真辺リカ Manabe Rika??)
- A quiet and sweet student who has been a friend of Naoto since childhood. During her childhood, Naoto doesn't seem to be getting along with Rika pretty well back then, but when he got close to her, they were really close friends. As she accepts to be his girlfriend, she cried of joy. After hearing from Luvriel about the battles between the angels and the demons but that Luvriel was too injured to fight, Naoto wants to join in the fight. Unfortunately, for Naoto, angels are supposed to be girls, so Rika accepts to be a part of the army. But when Luvriel told Rika that she has to have sex to acquire Amore power, she felt shocked and worried. She was later kidnapped at the beginning of the second anime (Djibril The Second Coming Book 1) an is transformed into a darker form of herself by the new demon character Miss Rococo.
- Hikari Jinno (神野 ひかり Jinno Hikari?)
- Introduced in the second game, Hikari is visiting her brother, and witnesses the defeat of the original Jibril. Partially due to being exposed to the secret of Djibril, and partially because she was the only person available to replace Rika, she ends up recruited as the second Djibril, with the suffix of Aries, in order to rescue Rika from the clutches of Misty Mei and Rococo. Later in the third game, Similar to kidnapping of Rika, she was captured by demons and becomes her darker self, and becomes a major role of the game.
- Nagi Jinno (神野 ナギ Jinno Nagi?)
- The newest of the Devil Angels known as Djibril, Nagi is in fact a computer program called N.A.G.I., or the New Angelic Gaia Interface. Part of a new effort in Heaven to use less humans and angels in their battles, due to, effectively, demand outstripping supply, she is recruited to help with the main mission after some kind of strange spell has been cast on Rika, and Hikari was captured...
- Luvriel/Loveriel (ラヴリエル Ravurieru?)
- The only character not retired after Makai Tenshi Djibril 3, Luvriel is a low rank angel who appears as Asmo is attacking Rika, attempting to stop him, but failing, and deciding instead to move in with Naoto and help him support Rika, and later Hikari and Nagi, although she seems to spend more time spying on them while they're having sex. Also, despite Luvriel's childish appearance, and occasionally behavior, she is in fact 10,009 years old
- Whereas the opening of Makai Tenshi Djibril 2 uses the romanization Luvriel, in the openings of Makai Tenshi Djibril 4 and Sengoku Tenshi Djibril the spelling Loveriel is used.
A major plot point of each of the three games is the transformation of the female lead into one of the Devil Angels, under the title of Djibril, with later games, and the associated anime including the sub-plot of cleansing a former lead character. This is done using a halo, normally supplied by Luvriel, but alternative transformation methods do appear in the various games.
The form of a Devil Angel differs with the person, with each having both an angelic aspect and a demonic aspect, depending on how they gain the power to transform. These usually are signified by a change in hair color, with angelic Djibrils, all having hair that is some shade of light blue, and transformation into a leotard-style outfit. The only exclusion to this is the New Angelic Gaia Interface, which only has the change being that Nagi is changed into a leotard. In Makai Tenshi Djibril 4, however, this is changed completely to a form of jumpsuit, with hair colors not changing. In the games, the dark aspect is indicated by the colors of their uniforms changing to red and black, as well as changing their eye color, as well as other additions dependent on the level of corruption. Later games used the specific title Djibril for them so they wouldn't be confused with the historical angel Gabriel.
Known Devil Angels include -
- Rika Manabe (Djibril)
- The first of the three Devil Angels, as well as the only one not related, by blood or choice, to Naoto. She is Luvriel's replacement in the first game, due to a mutually assured destruction strategy going wrong. She was captured in the second game by a giant worm creature, and over the course of the game, put through a perverse version of her training in the first game, and in the third game, she was weakened by the use of a spell cast through the corrupted hand of Dark Aries.
- Hikari Jinno (Djibril Aries/Dark Aries)
- The second of the three Devil Angels, Aries was recruited to replace Rika when she is defeated in battle and taken as spoils. She also spends most of the third game in a second, corrupted, persona of Dark Aries, which has a unique power to control minds. She is stronger willed than Rika, managing to break the controlling influence of Misty Mei in the third game multiple times, and, at least in the anime, summoning her own 'Super Nova' style attack despite being almost completely controlled.
- New Angelic Gaia Interface (Djibril Zero)
- Djibril Zero is a last-resort Djibril, in that a N.A.G.I. has the capability to regenerate damage, and even incapacitation, within reason, can be recovered from as long as the interface can be restarted properly. She has only been used once in this capacity, during the third game, when Jibril Aries is abducted, and used to further incapacitate the original Djibril.
- Meimi Otonashi (Misty Mei)
- While not a Devil Angel in the sense that she was recruited by Asmo originally, Misty Mei does gain power in the same ways as all three Djibrils. Numerous attempts have been made to befriend Misty Mei, but she is never able to achieve her actual Djibril appearance or identity, appearing, in all three original games, as a gothic lolita with black bat wings. Notably, She was pivotal in some cases to the capture and controlling of the first two Devil Angels.
- Super X-32
- A false angel created in the third game and anime, intended to be a counter for the Djibril series. Rather than having a human component, Super X-32 is a gynoid with several weapons and features intended to render the need for agents like Dark Aries and Misty Mei largely redundant. In the anime, she is considered to be Nagi's mirror duplicate, while in the games, she is only encountered once during NAGI's ending path.
"Amore" (Magical Energy): Transforms Rika, Hikari or Nagi into Djbril from having sex with a person of the opposite sex for whom they care for. Negative Amore, created by tentacle and/or demonic sex causes a Devil Angel to turn dark. Notably, Super X-32 can absorb and use positively-charged Amore according to the anime, making it clear the Amore is virtually identical, but processed differently by a Devil Angel, however it is made.
"Tenshi no Shiki" (Angelic Ceremony): By performing particular sex acts under the same conditions as when they accumulate Amore certain powers are stored up. Each power has two different forms: A Heaven Form and a Hell Form, which are achieved by a different act, but give the same effect. Despite the names of the forms, they do not visibly cause a Devil Angel to have a greater or lesser chance of turning Dark over time. These were phased out with later revisions of the Djibril transformation process.
"Cellular Regeneration": A unique power of Djibril Zero, She is able to regenerate battle damage like the loss of limbs without too much effort, but she is not able to avoid some forms of damage, due to limits in her programming. This also allows her to shape-shift parts of her body to create extra weapons to offset the loss of some human-type Djibrils.
"Angel Super Nova": A Super Form, used once when their main powers fail them, this powers them up, allowing them to break free of whatever danger they are in. It is empowered by the wishes of someone who they especially care about.
- In Series 1, Djibril used this to break up the perverted Angelic Ceremony and allowed herself to destroy Rirouge.
- In Series 2, Djibril Aries used a variant of the technique to both defeat Dark Djibril and to break free of the dark trance.
As far as can be told, Djibril Zero, Super X-32 and Misty Mei cannot use any version of this ability, the former due to being artificially created, the latter due to never appearing in any of the three games as an angel.
"Zero Cannon": An ability shown for Djibril Zero in the anime, it allows her to attack demons at more extreme ranges, by firing a beam of positively-charged Amore, with the side-effect that it cannot be used to defeat Devil Angels, including artificial ones like Super X-32.
In the series, the opening theme songs differ from one another. Game theme songs were later inserted in the anime series at the end of credits, when the episode ends, in lieu of title credits. These were supplemented in the latest two games by ending themes, with both games having their opening sequences released online well in advance of the game's release. In the original three games, The themes, where appropriate, are used in instrumental form as a leitmotif for each of the main female leads, and a remixed instrumental form is used as the menu theme for all four games. The Lyrics, Composer, and Vocals of the theme songs were written by the Japanese pop rock band, Funta (Under the name of U), with the help of the Anime J-Pop company, GWAVE.
Themes in Episode 1
- Opening: Let's Go Lovely Henshin Time! (レッゴー ラヴリィ 変身タイム! Retsugō Ravurii Henshin Taimu!?)
Themes in Episode 2
- Opening: Little my star
Themes in Episode 3
- Opening: Kuru Kuru Lovely Day (クルクルlovely day)
- Ending: To the End of Space in the Galaxy (銀河系の宇宙の果てまで Gingakei no Uchū no Hate made?)
Themes in Episode 4
- Opening: the first the last
- Ending: 新生時〜この恋ときみとあたし〜
Kuru Kuru Lovely Day was released as an audio CD as part of the promotional materials for Episode 3. Other themes include "Control Is Impossible", A fast tune used in the three games and two anime to indicate a comical or crazy moment, which seems, in a lot of cases, to involve directly Luvriel, becoming almost a leitmotif in itself.
- See: Djibril - The Devil Angel Episode 2
- Makai Tenshi Djibril - PC game at Front Wing (Japanese)
- Makai Tenshi Djibril -Episode 2- - PC game at Front Wing (Japanese)
- Makai Tenshi Djibril 3 - PC game at Front Wing (Japanese)
- Makai Tenshi Djibril 4 - PC game at Front Wing (Japanese)
- Sengoku Tenshi Djibril - PC game at Front Wing (Japanese)
- Jiburiru -The Devil Angel- (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Makai Tenshi Jibril 2 (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Makai Tenshi Jibril 3 (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Djibril – The Devil Angel at The Visual Novel Database