Dnipropetrovsk National University
|Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University|
|Дніпропетровський національний університет імені Олеся Гончара|
Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University (Ukrainian: Дніпропетровський національний університет імені Олеся Гончара) is one of the leading establishments of higher education in Ukraine. It was founded in 1918. The first four faculties were history and linguistics, law, medicine and physics and mathematics.
Nowadays the university has level IV accreditation, with 20 faculties and nearly 1,300 professors, 850 of them PhDs. The university has about 22,000 Ukrainian students and offers 87 majors. It has about 3,000 international students from 20 countries.
It has strong ties with one of the largest world's rocket space centres, Yuzhnoye Design Bureau, and other major industrial and scientific organizations in the Donetsk-Pridneprovsk area with population of more than 15 million people. Being a big educational and research center, DNU provides training of all qualifications levels: Master’s degree, Specialist’s degree, Bachelor’s degree. It prepares researchers and university teachers at the post-graduate and doctor of science courses. One can obtain the second higher education.
Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University boasts its enormous army of alumni. For the whole period of the university functioning about a hundred thousand specialists without whom one could hardly fancy any sphere of our life have been prepared. Among them there are statesmen, public figures, heads of enterprises and institutions of science and culture, schools, commercial enterprises; famous scientists, teachers, journalists.
According to the decision of the Intersectorial Accreditation Collegiums and to the order of the Ministry of Sciences and Education of Ukraine Dnipropetrovsk National University has been accredited as a higher institution of the 4-th level accreditation.
According to the UNESCO poll DNU takes the 6-th place of all Ukrainian higher education institutes due to its academic and research indexes.
At present DNU has 63 agreements with higher education institutes and research centers from many countries of Europe, Asia, the USA, Canada. Almost since the beginning of TEMPUS Program’s activity in Ukraine the DNU has joined its work. The first project on reforming of economic was won in 1993. Since there the DNU has won 14 projects (including three more Tempus projects in 2009) for the terms from 1 till 3 years in different sectors of science and education such as economics, management, university managements, social informatics and international economics. Due to this indicator the DNU is a regional leader. The DNU’s University Library has 2 600 000 volumes and computer library rooms. DNU has enough computer rooms with high-speed fiberglass access to the Internet, so all visitors can be provided by computer working place. DNU library with several millions books is one of biggest in the region and can supply all educational needs of guests. Since 2007 DNU has been taking part in Erasmus Mundus Project “External Cooperation Window” which is closely corresponded to DNU's development plan. First, in the plan there is a special paragraph about development of close relations with EU universities, strengthening of exchange programmes. Second, the participation should contribute in realisation of the item of raising the level of professional skills of DNU teachers and imroving the style of teaching. And, third, the project can give us a possibility of progeress in implementation of Bologna standarts, including ECTS, quality issurance, etc.
Ekaterynoslavsky University (now - Dnepropetrovsk National University of Oles Gonchar) was founded during the Ukrainian Hetman Pavlo Skoropadsky state in 1918, this university vybudovuvavsya as a classic of historical and philological, legal, medical and physical-mathematical faculties.
At the initial stage of operation of the university, which came on in 1918-1920, laid the first tradition of research and teaching activities of the faculty, initiated major areas of fundamental and applied research in the humanities, natural sciences and engineering. During the establishment of Soviet power school experienced difficult times. In 1920 Ekaterynoslavsky University was transformed into Ekaterynoslavsky (later in Dnipropetrovsk) Institute of Education, which operated until 1933
A new page in the history DNU began in 1933, when the Dnepropetrovsk State University has been restored - challenges the first Soviet five-year plans necessitated fundamentalization educational affairs and research. However, the revival of the university actually coincided with the intensification of Stalin's totalitarian regime, which led to mass arrests in a university setting, irreparable losses of personnel. Tremendous human and material losses suffered University during World War II. Some faculty and students went to defend their homeland from the Nazi invaders; others approached Victory Day, working in the evacuation. In the postwar period is the second revival DSU, healed the wounds of war.
Particularly dynamic university developed in the period from mid-1960 to mid-1980 DSU is gradually becoming one of the basic classical universities of the country. At this time the growth of human resources, the development of fundamental theoretical and applied research, new schools and areas, is searched in the areas of teaching and educational work, unseen building campus, a marked strengthening of material and technical base.
New horizons opened before Dnipropetrovsk University during the formation of independent Ukraine on the verge of 20th-21st century. MUT is not only stood the test of the modern era, and was able to update and modernize many areas of work. It is quite natural that in September 2000 by the President of Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk State University acquired the status of national institutions, and in June 2008 - a name famous graduate - Oles Gonchar.
Today the University, which in 1998 headed by Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Professor, Academician of the Higher School of Ukraine, Honored Scientist of Ukraine, winner of Prize. Yangel National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Rector MV Polyakov, preserves and multiplies the leadership of one of the leading universities in Ukraine.
Thanks to the efforts of scientists and faculty housing at DNU created and successfully developing widely known scientific schools in mathematics, mechanics, Radiophysics and Electronics, rocketry, neurocybernetic, biotechnology, organic chemistry, history of Ukraine, Historiography and Source of History of Ukraine, archeology , German, literature and linguistics, etc.. There is a further integration of the University to the European and global scientific and educational spaces, which is strategic priority for university life.
DNU has modern logistics, which allows the educational process, to conduct research. This 17 teaching and laboratory buildings ("Main Building» № 1, which is located at Dnepropetrovsk, Gagarin, 72), developed social infrastructure, which includes 7 dormitories for students at 3,500 seats, sports facilities and recreation (Sports Palace with a swimming pool, water station, shooting, hockey playground, outdoor stadium, dispensary, sports camp), the Palace of students (with an assembly hall with 500 seats and a small hall for 120 seats), library with about 2, 2 million copies.
The university comprises 4 higher education institutions of the first and second level of accreditation, 16 faculties, 46 research laboratories, 3 research institutes (Biology, Geography, Power Engineering) the Faculty of Distance and Part-time Education, the Faculty of Continuous Education, the Faculty of Postgraduate Education, the Faculty of Pre-university Preparation, Regional Center of Continuous Education “Prydniprovye” including 8 schools, 1 lyceum and the 1 gymnasia. Some of the 19 faculties of the university include:
- International Business
- Physics, Electronics and Computer Sciences
- Biology, ecology and medicine
- Geology and Geography
- Applied Mathematics
- Mechanical Mathematics
- Physics and Technology
List of specialties in Dnipropetrovsk National University in 2011/2012 academic year.
2. Accounting and Auditing
3. International Economic Relations
4. Management of Foreign-economic Activity
5. International Relations
8. Enterprise Economy
9. Personnel management and labor economics
10. International economics
12. Russian Language and Literature
13. Translation (English Language and Literature)
14. Laboratory Diagnostics
15. Language and Literature(English)
16. Language and Literature(German)
17. Language and Literature(French)
18. Language and Literature(Chinese)
19. Language and Literature(Japanese)
20. Translation (German Language and Literature)
21. Translation (French Language and Literature)
24. Ukrainian Language and Literature
25. Economic Cybernetics
26. Social Work
33. Microbiology and virology
34. Ecology and environmental protection
38. Political Science
39. Publishing and Editing
40. Economic Statistics
41. Automated System Programming
42. Intellectual Systems for Making Decisions
43. Computer Systems and Networks
44. Information Control Systems and Technologies
45. Food Technologies
47. Fine and Crafts Arts
49. Radioelectronic Devices, Systems and Technologies
52. Automatics and Management in Technical Systems
53. Apparatus of Radio Connection, Radio Broadcasting and Television
54. Archives Studies
55. Applied Physics
56. Microelectronics and Semi-conductive Devices
57. Biotechnical and Medical Apparatus and Systems
58. Physics of Solids
59. Radiophysics and Electronics
60. Technologies and Means of Telecommunications
62. Chemical Technology of High Molecular Compounds
63. Applied Mathematics
- Terentiyovych Oles Honchar, a prominent Ukrainian writer, Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lenin Prize and the State Prize of Ukraine. Hero of Socialist Labor
- Yuri P. Semenov, General Designer of NPO "Energia" (Russia), RAS, Lenin Prize. Hero of Socialist Labor
- Sergey Nikolsky, RAS, State Prize Laureate
- Peter Trofymovych Tron'ko, head. Institute of History of Ukraine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine
- Yulia Tymoshenko, Former Prime Minister of Ukraine (2005, 2007-2010)
- Leonid Kuchma- President of Ukraine (1994-2005), Lenin Prize and the State Prize of Ukraine
- Klaus Troich, Rector of University of Landau (Germany)
- Nikolai Pavlovich Korneichuk, NAS of Ukraine, laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine
- Ernst Sigmund, President of the Brandenburg Technical University (Germany).
- George V. Dzyak, rector of Dnipropetrovsk State Medical Academy. Academic Sciences of Ukraine
- Vladimir Litvin. Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2002-2006), Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine
- Jerzy Leschinskyy Professor Dzheksonskoho State University (USA). Corresponding Member of the European Academy of Sciences
- Marian Harasymyuk, rector of Lublin University. Marie Curie Skladovskaya
- Ivan Sergienko, director of the Institute of Cybernetics of VM Glushkov Ukraine, Academician of the NAS of Ukraine
- Andrushchenko Viktor Petrovich, rector of the National Pedagogical University. Dragomanov
- Bakirov Savbanovych, rector of Kharkiv National University. VNKarazin
- Michael Zgurovsky, Rector of the National Technical University of Ukraine ("KPI")
- Konyukhov Stanislav, General Director - General Designer DKB "South", academician, Hero of Ukraine, Dnepropetrovsk graduate
- Kremen Vasily, president of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine, academician
- Krivtsov Vladimir S., Rector of National Aerospace University M.Ye.Zhukovskoho
- Loskutov Alexander E., head. Traumatology and Orthopedics Dnipropetrovsk State Medical Academy
- Yuri Melnikov Afanasevich. Professor, University of Tennessee (USA), a graduate of wildebeest
- Pilipenko Victor V., academician, a graduate DNU
- Victor A. Sadovnichy, rector of Moscow State University. MV University
- Jose Manuel resi Espeho, professor at the University of Cordoba (Spain)
- Shevchenko Vladimir, rector of Donetsk National University, academician, Hero of Ukraine, Dnepropetrovsk graduate
- Skopenko Victor V., National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Professor of Kiev National University. Taras Shevchenko
- Halatnikov Isaak Markovich, a prominent physicist, academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, a graduate of DSU
- Alexander S. Kapto known diplomat, statesman and public figure, Ph.D., professor, graduate of DSU
- Paton Paton, president of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Hero of Socialist Labor Hero of Ukraine
- Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill
- Lothar Otto, Rector of the University of Mittweida (Germany)
- Gorbulin Vladimir, honorary member of the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, Graduate DSU
- Novelist Pavlo Zahrebelnyi
- Poet Lyubov Sirota
Awards and reputation
Dnepropetrovsk National University of Oles Gonchar took eighth place in the integrated ranking universities in Ukraine. According to "Komsomolskaya Pravda", the most authoritative rankings that are referenced by experts and journalists, are national rankings UNESCO "Top-200 Ukraine", "Compass" and the international rating "Vebometryks." Due to the fact that each of them focuses on their priorities (employers, level of research, etc.), it was necessary to make the overall rating, which would reflect the average result.
In the consolidated list every school received the sum score of the three ratings, which consisted in 2011. These include 276 universities III-IV accreditation levels, were drawn as four pidreytynhy, namely "Best Classical Universities of Ukraine", "The best private universities in Ukraine", "best Kyiv universities" and "Best Universities regions of Ukraine." Medical schools not on the list because they were missing the "compass", and thus would get low scores. The top ten best - Kyiv Polytechnic, KNU. Shevchenko, OH "Kyiv-Mohyla Academy", "Lviv Polytechnic", Kharkov Polytechnic Institute, Kyiv National Economic University. V. Getman, Donetsk National Technical University, wildebeest them. Honchar, Donetsk National University, Lviv National University Franko.
Informative educational resource "Osvita.ua" compiled consolidated ranking of higher education institutions of Ukraine in 2011. The initial data used most respected among experts and media national and international rankings of universities in Ukraine: UNESCO "Top-200 Ukraine", "Compass" and "Vebometryks."
Dnepropetrovsk National University of Oles Gonchar took eighth place in the integrated rating, which includes 232 higher educational institutions of Ukraine. Other universities located in Dnipropetrovsk it thus: National Mining University - 24 positions, the National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine - 28, Dnepropetrovsk National University of Railway Transport named. V.Lazaryana - 50 and Dnieper State Academy of Civil Engineering and Architecture - at 56.
By the consolidated rating also includes pidreytynhy "Best Classical Universities of Ukraine", "The best private universities", "best Kyiv universities" and "best colleges regions of Ukraine." Thus, among the top eight traditional universities DNU - third, ahead of Kyiv National University. Shevchenko and OU "Kyiv-Mohyla Academy". And among universities eastern region Dnepropetrovsk National University has received leadership.
- http://www.dnu.dp.ua/ - official website (Ukrainian, Russian, English)