Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University
|Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University|
|Дніпропетровський національний університет імені Олеся Гончара|
Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University (Ukrainian: Дніпропетровський національний університет імені Олеся Гончара) is one of the leading establishments of higher education in Ukraine. It was founded in 1918. The first four faculties were history and linguistics, law, medicine and physics and mathematics.
Nowadays the university has level IV accreditation, with 20 faculties and nearly 1,300 professors, 850 of them PhDs. The university has about 22,000 Ukrainian students and offers 87 majors. It has about 3,000 international students from 20 countries.
It has strong ties with one of the largest world's rocket space centres, Yuzhnoye Design Bureau, and other major industrial and scientific organizations in the Donetsk-Pridneprovsk area with population of more than 15 million people. Being a big educational and research center, DNU provides training of all qualifications levels: Master’s degree, Specialist’s degree, Bachelor’s degree. It prepares researchers and university teachers at the post-graduate and doctor of science courses. One can obtain the second higher education.
Oles Honchar Dnipropetrovsk National University boasts its enormous army of alumni. For the whole period of the university functioning about a hundred thousand specialists without whom one could hardly fancy any sphere of our life have been prepared. Among them there are statesmen, public figures, heads of enterprises and institutions of science and culture, schools, commercial enterprises; famous scientists, teachers, journalists.
According to the decision of the Intersectorial Accreditation Collegiums and to the order of the Ministry of Sciences and Education of Ukraine Dnipropetrovsk National University has been accredited as a higher institution of the 4-th level accreditation.
According to the UNESCO poll DNU takes the 6th place of all Ukrainian higher education institutes due to its academic and research indexes.
At present DNU has 63 agreements with higher education institutes and research centers from many countries of Europe, Asia, the USA, Canada. Almost since the beginning of TEMPUS Program’s activity in Ukraine the DNU has joined its work. The first project on reforming of economic was won in 1993. Since there the DNU has won 14 projects (including three more Tempus projects in 2009) for the terms from 1 till 3 years in different sectors of science and education such as economics, management, university managements, social informatics and international economics. Due to this indicator the DNU is a regional leader. The DNU’s University Library has 2,600,000 volumes and computer library rooms. DNU has enough computer rooms with high-speed fiberglass access to the Internet, so all visitors can be provided by computer working place. DNU library with several millions books is one of biggest in the region and can supply all educational needs of guests. Since 2007 DNU has been taking part in Erasmus Mundus Project “External Cooperation Window” which is closely corresponded to DNU's development plan. First, in the plan there is a special paragraph about development of close relations with EU universities, strengthening of exchange programmes. Second, the participation should contribute in realisation of the item of raising the level of professional skills of DNU teachers and improving the style of teaching. And, third, the project can give us a possibility of progress in implementation of Bologna standards, including ECTS, quality issurance, etc.
Ekaterynoslavsky University (now - Dnepropetrovsk National University of Oles Gonchar) was founded during the Ukrainian Hetman Pavlo Skoropadsky state in 1918, this university vybudovuvavsya as a classic of historical and philological, legal, medical and physical-mathematical faculties.
At the initial stage of operation of the university, which came on in 1918–1920, laid the first tradition of research and teaching activities of the faculty, initiated major areas of fundamental and applied research in the humanities, natural sciences and engineering. During the establishment of Soviet power school experienced difficult times. In 1920 Ekaterynoslavsky University was transformed into Ekaterynoslavsky (later in Dnipropetrovsk) Institute of Education, which operated until 1933
A new page in the history DNU began in 1933, when the Dnepropetrovsk State University has been restored – challenges the first Soviet five-year plans necessitated fundamentalization educational affairs and research. However, the revival of the university actually coincided with the intensification of Stalin's totalitarian regime, which led to mass arrests in a university setting, irreparable losses of personnel. Tremendous human and material losses suffered University during World War II. Some faculty and students went to defend their homeland from the Nazi invaders; others approached Victory Day, working in the evacuation. In the postwar period is the second revival DSU, healed the wounds of war.
Particularly dynamic university developed in the period from mid-1960 to mid-1980 DSU is gradually becoming one of the basic classical universities of the country. At this time the growth of human resources, the development of fundamental theoretical and applied research, new schools and areas, is searched in the areas of teaching and educational work, unseen building campus, a marked strengthening of material and technical base.
New horizons opened before Dnipropetrovsk University during the formation of independent Ukraine on the verge of 20th–21st century. MUT is not only stood the test of the modern era, and was able to update and modernize many areas of work. It is quite natural that in September 2000 by the President of Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk State University acquired the status of national institutions, and in June 2008 – a name famous graduate – Oles Gonchar.
Today the University, which in 1998 headed by Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Professor, Academician of the Higher School of Ukraine, Honored Scientist of Ukraine, winner of Prize. Yangel National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Rector MV Polyakov, preserves and multiplies the leadership of one of the leading universities in Ukraine.
Thanks to the efforts of scientists and faculty housing at DNU created and successfully developing widely known scientific schools in mathematics, mechanics, Radiophysics and Electronics, rocketry, neurocybernetic, biotechnology, organic chemistry, history of Ukraine, Historiography and Source of History of Ukraine, archeology, German, literature and linguistics, etc.. There is a further integration of the University to the European and global scientific and educational spaces, which is strategic priority for university life.
DNU has modern logistics, which allows the educational process, to conduct research. This 17 teaching and laboratory buildings ("Main Building» № 1, which is located at Dnepropetrovsk, Gagarin, 72), developed social infrastructure, which includes 7 dormitories for students at 3,500 seats, sports facilities and recreation (Sports Palace with a swimming pool, water station, shooting, hockey playground, outdoor stadium, dispensary, sports camp), the Palace of students (with an assembly hall with 500 seats and a small hall for 120 seats), library with about 2, 2 million copies.
Faculty and Staff
DNU rector Polyakov Mykola Viktorovych, doctor of physical-mathematical sciences, professor, actual member of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian higher institute of learning, honored man of science and technics of Ukraine, born in 1946, graduated from mechanical-mathematical faculty of Dnipropetrovsk state university in 1971. He worked as dean of mechanical-mathematical faculty from 1989, as pro-rector of educational work from 1996. He is rector from November 1998. He is rewarded with orders “For merits” of all three degrees. 
The university comprises 4 higher education institutions of the first and second level of accreditation, 16 faculties, 46 research laboratories, 3 research institutes (Biology, Geography, Power Engineering) the Faculty of Distance and Part-time Education, the Faculty of Continuous Education, the Faculty of Postgraduate Education, the Faculty of Pre-university Preparation, Regional Center of Continuous Education “Prydniprovye” including eight schools, one lyceum and the one gymnasium. Some of the 19 faculties of the university include:
- International Business
- Physics, Electronics and Computer Sciences
- Biology, ecology and medicine
- Geology and Geography
- Applied Mathematics
- Mechanical Mathematics
- Physics and Technology
List of specialties in Dnipropetrovsk National University in 2011/12 academic year.
2. Accounting and Auditing
3. International Economic Relations
4. Management of Foreign-economic Activity
5. International Relations
8. Enterprise Economy
9. Personnel management and labor economics
10. International economics
12. Russian Language and Literature
13. Translation (English Language and Literature)
14. Laboratory Diagnostics
15. Language and Literature(English)
16. Language and Literature(German)
17. Language and Literature(French)
18. Language and Literature(Chinese)
19. Language and Literature(Japanese)
20. Translation (German Language and Literature)
21. Translation (French Language and Literature)
24. Ukrainian Language and Literature
25. Economic Cybernetics
26. Social Work
33. Microbiology and virology
34. Ecology and environmental protection
38. Political Science
39. Publishing and Editing
40. Economic Statistics
41. Automated System Programming
42. Intellectual Systems for Making Decisions
43. Computer Systems and Networks
44. Information Control Systems and Technologies
45. Food Technologies
47. Fine and Crafts Arts
49. Radioelectronic Devices, Systems and Technologies
52. Automatics and Management in Technical Systems
53. Apparatus of Radio Connection, Radio Broadcasting and Television
54. Archives Studies
55. Applied Physics
56. Microelectronics and Semi-conductive Devices
57. Biotechnical and Medical Apparatus and Systems
58. Physics of Solids
59. Radiophysics and Electronics
60. Technologies and Means of Telecommunications
62. Chemical Technology of High Molecular Compounds
63. Applied Mathematics
Students’ self-government functions at the faculty not first year. A paramount task of the Council of the faculty students is to protect the rights and responsibilities of students, to improve and to make different the students’ life, to open a creative potential of the young people.
The teachers and scientists of the faculty created a Regional center of the Ukrainian language history and development, where students’ scientific association “Philologist” functions. The deepening of the knowledge, working out the skills of scientific researches is an urgent direction of students’ association activity. An annual collection of students’ scientific publications “The young people are eager to comprehend the word” was founded.
A French speaking students’ theatre and speaking club was founded at the Roman philology chair in 1995.
The students of the Ukrainian and foreign philology and art-criticism faculty were always the creative personalities. Evidences of it is the conduction of the days of the first-year student, author’s song contests, New Year carnivals “Masks disappear in midnight”, CFI – the contests among faculties, “Miss faculty” contests and others. But not only contests and entertainments define the students’ life of the faculty. The Council of the students organizes visits to children’s homes with festival concerts and gifts during some years.
The meeting with creators became traditional at the faculty: Irena Rozdobud’ko, Larisa Denysenko, Lesia Stepovychka, brothers Kapranov, Liubko Deresh, Yurii Andrushevych, Serhii Zhadan and others.
The students of the faculty conducted an action “Do not be indifferent, find out more about AIDS”.
Students take an active part in cultural life of the university: national circus studio “Raiduha”, national dance ensembles “Veselka”, theter studio “Hravtsi”. An ensemble of guitar players is organized at the faculty. It is a known activity of a theatre group “Vidlunnia”, besides its plays “Roksolana”, “Marusia Churai”, “Evening at the farmstead FUPandAC” and other. A young people’s chamber choir “Yunist’” is famous which is now 35 years old, the most active participants of it were the students of the faculty during this time. Second-year students of the English philology chair organized a studio of a modern dance “Sweets”, and first-year students organized a show-ballet “Dance sensation”.
A club of talented young people “Crocus” functions at the faculty. By the initiative of students, any person can become its member if he/she writes poetry or prose, is interested in recent publications.
Students take an active part in sport life of the university. Thus, Olexander Savchenko became a prize-winner of Dnipropetrovs’k region in track and field athletics, Iryna Lopatina became a champion of Ukraine in water polo. Students of the faculty became the members of the combined team in badminton, swimming, track and field athletics, and weight-lifting sport.
- Oles Honchar, a prominent Ukrainian writer, Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lenin Prize and the State Prize of Ukraine. Hero of Socialist Labor
- Yuri P. Semenov, General Designer of NPO "Energia" (Russia), RAS, Lenin Prize. Hero of Socialist Labor
- Sergey Nikolsky, RAS, State Prize Laureate
- Peter Trofymovych Tron'ko, head. Institute of History of Ukraine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine
- Yulia Tymoshenko, Former Prime Minister of Ukraine (2005, 2007-2010)
- Leonid Kuchma- President of Ukraine (1994-2005), Lenin Prize and the State Prize of Ukraine
- Klaus Troich, Rector of University of Landau (Germany)
- Nikolai Pavlovich Korneichuk, NAS of Ukraine, laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine
- Ernst Sigmund, President of the Brandenburg Technical University (Germany).
- George V. Dzyak, rector of Dnipropetrovsk State Medical Academy. Academic Sciences of Ukraine
- Vladimir Litvin. Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2002-2006), Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine
- Jerzy Leschinskyy Professor Dzheksonskoho State University (USA). Corresponding Member of the European Academy of Sciences
- Marian Harasymyuk, rector of Lublin University. Marie Curie Skladovskaya
- Ivan Sergienko, director of the Institute of Cybernetics of VM Glushkov Ukraine, Academician of the NAS of Ukraine
- Andrushchenko Viktor Petrovich, rector of the National Pedagogical University. Dragomanov
- Bakirov Savbanovych, rector of Kharkiv National University. VNKarazin
- Michael Zgurovsky, Rector of the National Technical University of Ukraine ("KPI")
- Konyukhov Stanislav, General Director - General Designer DKB "South", academician, Hero of Ukraine, Dnepropetrovsk graduate
- Kremen Vasily, president of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine, academician
- Krivtsov Vladimir S., Rector of National Aerospace University M.Ye.Zhukovskoho
- Loskutov Alexander E., head. Traumatology and Orthopedics Dnipropetrovsk State Medical Academy
- Yuri Melnikov. Professor, University of Tennessee (USA), a graduate of wildebeest
- Pilipenko Victor V., academician, a graduate DNU
- Victor A. Sadovnichy, rector of Moscow State University. MV University
- Jose Manuel resi Espeho, professor at the University of Cordoba (Spain)
- Shevchenko Vladimir, rector of Donetsk National University, academician, Hero of Ukraine, Dnepropetrovsk graduate
- Skopenko Victor V., National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Professor of Kiev National University. Taras Shevchenko
- Halatnikov Isaak Markovich, a prominent physicist, academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, a graduate of DSU
- Alexander S. Kapto known diplomat, statesman and public figure, Ph.D., professor, graduate of DSU
- Lothar Otto, Rector of the University of Mittweida (Germany)
- Vladimir Gorbulin, honorary member of the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, Graduate DSU
- Novelist Pavlo Zahrebelnyi
- Poet Lyubov Sirota
Awards and reputation
Dnipropetrovsk National University took eighth place in the integrated ranking universities of Ukraine. According to Komsomolskaya Pravda, the most authoritative rankings that are referenced by experts and journalists, are national rankings UNESCO "Top-200 Ukraine", "Compass" and the international rating "Vebometryks." Due to the fact that each of them focuses on their priorities (employers, level of research, etc.), it was necessary to make the overall rating, which would reflect the average result.
The faculty cooperates with Ukrainian and foreign higher educational establishments: Kyiv national university named after T.H. Shevchenko, Kharkiv state design academy, Lublin university named after M. Kiuri-Sklodovs’ka (Lublin city, Poland), students have periods of probation in higher educational establishments of France ( lyceum of Moris Ravel’, Nant city), China, Japan, Swede (Fol’kuniversity), USA (Minnesota University, Minneapolis city), European university (Budapest city, Hungary), Richmond University (Virginia state, USA).
The most active connections with scientists of the University named after M. Kiuri-Sklodovs’ka has fine arts and design chair. During 2006-2007 three groups of students and teachers of this chair took part in the plenary sessions in Poland. The teacher V. Korsuns’kyi got the proposal to do 6-8-month work to write a candidate dissertation in 2006. A delegation of the University named after M. Kiuri-Sklodovs’ka presented in DNU an exhibition of Poland poster in January 2007 which was made by the students of this educational establishment.
A general and Russian linguistics chair takes part in international program realization (“The program of new generation of textbooks creation dealing with the Russian language and literature for CIS countries”), provided by philological faculty of Saint-Petersburg state university; in the limits of an agreement about scientific cooperation the chair cooperates with general linguistics chair of Sievierodvins’kyi branch of HOU VPO “Pomors’kyi state university named after M.V. Lomonosov” (Russia).
A docent of the chair O.O. Polovynko taught the Russian language as a foreign one according to the agreement about cooperation between DNU and Shandun University in Veifan city (CNR) in 2007/08 educational years. A teacher of the Polish language M. Rutkovs’ka works at the chair in the limits of intergovernmental agreement between Ukraine and Poland.
The chair is the center of the Russian language and literature teachers of Ukrainian association (Ukraine) (RLLTUA), which is the part of International association of the Russian language and literature teachers.
The chair trains foreign students and post-graduate students the Russian language as a special one and the Russian language as the second foreign language, trains ethnic students from different higher educational establishments at the specialty “Language and literature (Russian)”. A student Clair Ansel from Canada studied at the specialty “Language and literature (Russian)” at the individual schedule in 2007/08.
The translation and linguistic training of the foreigners chair cooperates with Gdansk University (Poland) and Sukhum University (Abkhazia), trains specialists with the Russian and Ukrainian language knowledge for different countries.
Russian philology chair has scientific connections with higher educational establishments of France and Russia: with the University of Nant city, Moscow state university named after M.V. Lomonosov, Belgorod state university.
The second important direction of the international activities of the university is an annual direction of students to study at the foreign countries universities. A high scientific and pedagogical potential of the comparative philology of Eastern and English speaking countries chair teachers allows to provide comprehensive training of the students in the sphere of the Eastern languages and literatures. As a result the teachers and students study in CNR, Japan, Turkey in the limits of state agreement about cooperation among countries which provides a high level of the specialists training of Ukrainian students in state educational establishments of these countries. Moreover, the government of Chinese national republic sends the best professors of leading higher educational establishments of CNR every year according to the state agreement to teach the Chinese language and special philological disciples at the Chinese philology department.
- http://www.dnu.dp.ua/ - official website (Ukrainian, Russian, English)