|Nickname(s): DB Pura|
|Elevation||880 m (2,890 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Doddaballapura, is a town and municipal council in Bangalore Rural district in the state of Karnataka, India. Dodda means big in the native Kannada; contrasted with Chikkaballapura or the 'little Ballapura'. The city is near the historic regions of Muddenahalli-Kanivenarayanapura-Nandi.
As of 2001[update] India census, Doddaballapura had a population of 71,509. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Doddaballapura has a high literacy rate of 68%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 73%, and female literacy is 62%. In Doddaballapura, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Development and Economy
Doddaballapura is about 40 km from Bangalore towards North on Bangalore-Hindupur state highway (SH-9). This town was once known for weaving silk. Many families in Doddaballapura depend on power looms. There is a very big industrial area in Bashettihalli, which is around 6 km from Doddaballapura. This industrial area houses a large number of industries.
Doddaballapura receives scanty rainfall compared to other cachement areas in Karnataka. This is one of the reasons for water scarcity in the town as well as in villages surrounding Doddaballapura. Most of the underground water is often depleted due to low rainfall.
There are several historical temples in Terina Beedhi, Doddaballapura like Sri Venkateshwara Swamy temple, Chowdeshwari temple, Neladaanjaneya temple, Shankara matha, Someshwara temple, Kashi Vishweshwara temple, Panduranga Swami temple, Prasanna Anjenaya Swami temple (near railway station), Venugopalaswami temple, Muthyalamma temple, Sadhanandara matha, Saptha mathruke Sri mariyamma temple(karaga temple),Dharmaraya Swamy temple etc. Every year Brahmarathotsava is held in Sri Venkateshwara Swamy temple in the month of Magha Masa where lot of people from far away places gather to offer prayers and also world famous Karaga festival happens every year in the month of May/June(on the day of buddha Poornima).
Some of the other landmarks in Doddaballapura include Raamannana Bhaavi, Naagara kere, YMCA, Government Teaching School, Railway station, Navodhaya School, etc.
Places of interest around Doddaballapura
- Shani Mahathma Temple in Madhure (Kanasawadi)
- Ghati Subramanya Temple: Subrahmanya is one of Hinduism's important Gods. Subrahmanya is also called as Karthikeya, Shanmuga, Saravana and Muruga. Subrahmanya is the youngest son of Lord Shiva. The specialty of this temple is that it has two gods - on the front side there is Surbrahmanya and the rear side is Narashima. One can see both the gods at the same time. For viewing the god on the rear side, there is a mirror. The temple is about 60 kilometers from Bangalore. Buses are available from .
- Hullu kudi hills.
- Rayara matha: In Lakkasandra.
- Benakana wada.
- Keten halli falls: In chikkaballapur.
Villages of Doddaballapur
- [Kodihalli Village]
- Jinke Bachhahalli
- Ghati Subramanya
- Jodi Thimmasandra
- kamana agrahara
- Madhurana hosahalli
- kadanuru palya
- Aralu Mallige.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.