Doddridge County, West Virginia
|Doddridge County, West Virginia|
The Doddridge County Courthouse in West Union
Location in the state of West Virginia
West Virginia's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Philip Doddridge|
|Largest town||West Union|
|• Total||320 sq mi (829 km2)|
|• Land||320 sq mi (829 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2 km2), 0.2%|
|• Density||26/sq mi (10/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
James Caldwell, the first known landowner in what was to become Doddridge County, owned 20,000 acres in the area sometime prior to 1787.
Below is partial listing of known unincorporated communities within Doddridge County. A complete listing is available here
- Wetzel County (north)
- Harrison County (east)
- Lewis County (southeast)
- Gilmer County (south)
- Ritchie County (west)
- Tyler County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,403 people, 2,845 households, and 2,102 families residing in the county. The population density was 23 people per square mile (9/km²). There were 3,661 housing units at an average density of 11 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.31% White, 0.27% Black or African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.14% from other races, and 0.82% from two or more races. 0.57% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,845 households out of which 32.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.30% were married couples living together, 10.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.10% were non-families. 22.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.00% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 26.60% from 25 to 44, 25.10% from 45 to 64, and 14.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 101.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,744, and the median income for a family was $30,502. Males had a median income of $26,902 versus $20,250 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,507. About 15.30% of families and 19.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.00% of those under age 18 and 13.60% of those age 65 or over.
Notable natives and residents
- Matthew M. Neely, only West Virginian to serve in both houses of the United States Congress and as Governor.
- J. H. Diss DeBar, designed the Great Seal and Coat of Arms of West Virginia.
- Bantz J. Craddock, four-star U.S. Army general.
- Ephraim Bee, founder of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus.
- Lewis Maxwell (1790 - 1862), U.S. Representative from Virginia
- Clyde Ware, novelist (The Eden Tree) and television and motion picture director and screenwriter (No Drums, No Bugles).
- List of Places on the National Historic Register in Doddridge County West Virginia
- North Bend Rail Trail
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 107.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Corathers, Lily Smith (1927), History of Nutter's Fork Community; Doddridge County Agricultural Extension Division.
- Doddridge County Public Library
- Doddridge County Fair Commission, Inc.
- Doddridge County Community Foundation
- WVGenWeb Doddridge County
- WVU Doddridge County Extension Service
||Tyler County||Wetzel County|
|Ritchie County||Harrison County|
|Gilmer County||Lewis County|