|Birth name||Stephen Tunney|
|Associated acts||King Missile (Dog Fly Religion)
|Website||Official Dogbowl website|
Stephen Tunney, also known as Dogbowl, is an American artist, musician and novelist. He was a founding member of the avant-garde band King Missile (Dog Fly Religion) and has recorded many albums as a solo act.
He is also the author of two novels, One Hundred Percent Lunar Boy, published in 2010 by MacAdam/Cage and Flan, published in 1992 by Four Walls Eight Windows. One Hundred Percent Lunar Boy takes place on a terraformed Moon two thousand years in the future and chronicles the misadventures of sixteen-year-old Hieronymus Rexaphin, a boy who can see the fourth primary color, and the trouble he gets into after showing his unusual eyes to a teenage tourist girl from Earth. Flan is a long, fairly violent post-apocalyptic work containing some elements of surrealism.
Stephen Tunney graduated from Parsons School of Design with a BFA in 1982. He received an MFA from the City College of New York in 1991. He currently lives in New York City and Paris, France with his wife and two children.
Stephen Tunney's novel One Hundred Percent Lunar Boy, published by MacAdam/Cage in 2010 is a recipient of the Barnes & Noble "Discover Great New Writers Series" for the Holiday Season 2010-2011. One Hundred Percent Lunar Boy will be translated into French and published France in Fall 2011 by the French publisher Éditions Albin Michel. One Hundred Percent Lunar Boy is Stephen Tunney's second novel. He published Flan (1992, Four Walls Eight Windows) and on 2008 was re-published by Running Press. Flan was widely reviewed and appraised by magazines and newspapers such as New York Press, Boston Phoenix Literary Section, Review of Contemporary Fiction, Option, and the San Francisco Chronicle among others.
- Tit! An Opera (Shimmy Disc, 1989)
- Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain (Shimmy Disc, 1991)
- Flan (Shimmy Disc, 1992)
- Project Success (Shimmy Disc, 1993)
- Hot Day in Waco (Dogbowl & Kramer)(Shimmy-Disc, NYC 1994)
- Dogbowl and The Peter Parker Experience: Nuage, Nuage (Lithium/Labels-Virgin France, 1994)
- Live on WFMU (Lithium Records, 1995)
- Gunsmoke (Dogbowl & Kramer)(Shimmy-Disc,NYC 1995)
- The Zeppelin Record (Lithium Records, 1998)
- Fantastic Carburetor Man (Eyeball Planet, 2001)
- The Best of Dogbowl Volume II (62TV Records, 2001)
- Le Chien Lunatic: Dogbowl Live in Bruxelles (Eyeball Planet, 2003)
- Songs for Narcisse (Eyeball Planet, 2005)
- Dogbowl Live At CBGB 1985-1986 (Eyeball Planet, 2007)
with King Missile (Dog Fly Religion)
Stephen Tunney, trained as a painter, works in the tradition of Renaissance artist who masters three different fields. He has exhibited widely in the United States as well as Europe, France, Switzerland, England, Belgium and Spain.