Dogpile's homepage (September 2012)
|Slogan||All the best search engines piled into one|
Type of site
|Created by||Aaron Flin|
|6,152 (February 2015[update])|
Dogpile is a search engine that fetches results from Google, Yahoo! and Yandex, and includes results from several other popular search engines, including those from audio and video content providers. It is a registered trademark of Blucora, Inc.
From April of 2001 to April of 2007, Dogpile was primarily symbolized by a dog mascot. Named Arfie, the dog was featured in different themes from seasonal to holidays. From 2005 onwords, Dogpile added a link that gave the user a search query that corresponded with the theme the site was supporting.
In April of 2005, Dogpile (owned and operated by InfoSpace, Inc. at the time) collaborated with researchers from University of Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania State University to measure the overlap and ranking differences of leading Web search engines in order to gauge the benefits of using a metasearch engine to search the web. Results found that from 10,316 random user-defined queries from Google, Yahoo, and Ask Jeeves only 3.2 percent of first page search results were the same across those search engines for a given query. Another study later that year using 12,570 random user-defined queries from Google, Yahoo, MSN Search, and Ask Jeeves found that only 1.1 percent of first page search results were the same across those search engines for a given query.
These studies showed that each search engine is vastly unique with their results. While users of the search engine may not recognize a problem, it was shown that they use ~3 search engines per month. Dogpile realized that searchers aren't necessarily finding results they were looking for in one search engine and thus decided to redefine their existing metasearch engine to provide the best results.
Dogpile started a campaign in 2008 to use proceeds from site traffic to raise US$1 million for animals in need.
In July 2010, Dogpile was ranked the 770th most popular website in the U.S., and 2548th most popular in the world by Alexa. Quantcast estimated 2.0 million unique U.S. visitors a month, and Compete estimated 1,953,280.
- Category Links - Links to help you focus your search on specific categories like News, Audio, etc.
- Yellow Pages - Allows you to do a search using the Yellow Pages.
- White Pages - Allows you to do a search using the White Pages.
- Web Search Box - The area where you enter your search term. Enter your keyword(s) and hit the Search button to retrieve your results.
- Search Button - The button you press to search for results.
- Preferences - Links to a page where you can set a variety of customized search preferences.
- Spelling Correction - Offers suggested spellings for words that may be misspelled and automatically corrects commonly misspelled keywords.
- Search Filter - Blocks potentially explicit content for multimedia searches in Moderate setting and for all searches when in Heavy setting.
- Statistics Bar - Shows how many results were returned for your search term.
- About Results - Find out about Dogpile's policies regarding sponsored and non-sponsored search results.
- IntelliFind™ - Recommends additional content based on your original search term.
- Are You Looking For? - Offers suggested spellings for words that may be misspelled and other search keywords that seem to be related to your original search term.
- Recent Searches - Keeps track of your 15 most recent searches. The list resets when the browser is closed.
- Favorite Fetches - Shows recent popular searches from other users
Dogpile has also implemented a search toolbar that allows users an alternative way to search for internet content on Internet Explorer or Firefox using Dogpile.com metasearch technology.
- "Dogpile.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "A research study by Dogpile.com", retrieved 11-30-2014
- "Residential Online Service Customer Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power and Associates". Jdpower.com. 2006-10-11. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- "2007 Residential Online Service Customer Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power and Associates". Jdpower.com. 2007-10-17. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- "Dogpile.com Lends A Paw to ASPCA with $1 Million Fundraising Campaign | With Video". Prnewswire.com. 2008-11-12. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- "Dogpile.com Site Info", Alexa, retrieved 8-29-2010
- "Dogpile.com-- Quantcast Audience Profile", Quantcast, retrieved 8-29-2010
- "Site Profile for dogpile.com", Compete, retrieved 8-29-2010
- "Dogpile.com FAQ", retrieved 11-30-2014