Dole Nutrition Institute
The Dole Nutrition Institute (DNI) is a research and education foundation based in Westlake Village, California founded in 2003 by David H. Murdock, chairman of Dole Food Company and an ardent practitioner of a nutrient-dense diet and fitness at age 87. The institute exists as a resource within Dole Food Company, performing research and offering educational publications on the benefits of a plant-based diet.
- 1 Activities
- 2 Employee wellness program
- 3 Dole Nutrition Institute School Salad Days
- 4 Dole Nutrition Institute and Children's Hunger Fund (CHF)
- 5 See also
- 6 References
The Dole Nutrition Institute offers self-produced health and nutrition segments that run on airline in-flight TV, brochures, Food for Thought magazine, a hardcover food encyclopedia, an award-winning Workplace Wellness program, educational websites, and the online Dole Nutrition Newsletter.
Dole Nutrition Newsletter
In 2008, the Web Marketing Association (WMA) awarded the Dole Nutrition News (DNN) their International Advertising Competition Award for Outstanding Achievement in Internet Advertising - Best Food Industry On-line Newsletter Award.
DNI classroom resources
Dole's classroom resources include a variety of free materials that teachers can download or order.
- 5 A Day Adventures CD-ROM, the centerpiece of the Dole Nutrition Program. Fruit and vegetable characters talk and sing on this interactive computer software program that includes eight interactive modules.
- Charts with reusable stickers to help students keep track of the number of fruits and vegetables they eat each day.
- Fun With Fruits and Vegetables Kids' Cookbook with simple fruit and vegetable recipes kids can make.
- SuperKids Super Songs CD
- 5 A Day Live performance kit which includes songs, sheet music, and the script of a play about proper nutrition.
DNI health and wellness brochures
DNI's health and wellness brochure series includes: What You Need to Eat Everyday and Why, Weight Loss, Heart Health, Diabetes, Healthy Kids, Carb Confusion and Natural Beauty. The brochures contain recipes using fruits and vegetables as well as useful tips, dietary facts, creative charts, and ideas for healthy living.
Employee wellness program
Dole Employee Wellness Program
Dole Nutrition Institute created and maintains an employee wellness program that encourages employees at Dole headquarters to eat healthy foods and stay active by offering free healthy snacks, on-site fitness classes, discounted healthy meal options in the cafeteria, a gym, and on-site personal trainers. After six months, tests on sixty employees who followed the program showed they had lower cholesterol levels, lower levels of certain proteins that are predictors of future heart disease, lower triglyceride levels and lower glucose levels. In 2005, the program won the California Fit Business Award.
Corporate Wellness Toolkit
The Corporate Wellness Toolkit teaches businesses how to promote healthy eating and exercise. The kit includes signage, newsletters, videos, and instructional materials which encourage businesses to provide weight loss seminars, trainers, and healthier foods for their employees.
Dole Nutrition Institute School Salad Days
The School Salad Days program was designed to encourage healthy eating habits and promote daily fruit and vegetable consumption in California public schools. The pilot program was launched in 2006 with the donation of fifty full-service portable salad bars to public schools in California. DNI gave these schools nutrition information, worked with schools to develop fruit baskets to be sold as fund-raising alternatives, and helped schools plant on-site "edible gardens".
Dole Nutrition Institute and Children's Hunger Fund (CHF)
In 2007, Dole Nutrition Institute donated nearly 250,000 nutrition-focused publications to the Children's Hunger Fund (CHF), an international non-profit organization. CHF is now including these materials in their Food Paks, 20 lb. boxes of staple foods, which are delivered to the homes of needy families. The donation included DNI’s "Health & Wellness" brochure series and "What You Need to Eat Every Day & Why" in English and Spanish. For the children, "Dole's 5-A-Day the Color Way" coloring books and bookmarks help kids focus on their own nutrition and to make good food choices in the future.
- Bruni, Frank (March 3, 2011). "The Billionaire Who Is Planning His 125th Birthday". The New York Times (New York Times Magazine).
- Governor Schwarzenegger Honors Dole Nutrition Institute's School Salad Days Program to Fight Obesity in California Public Schools Business Wire, Sept 15, 2005 http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_Sept_15/ai_n15392458
- Reaching Global Wellness with the Dole Nutrition Institute, Jennifer Grossman, Your Health Connection: Local Guide to Health and Wellness, November 2006 http://www.yhcmagazine.com
- Independent Tribune (Concord, North Carolina), April 15, 2007 Sunday, STATE AND REGIONAL NEWS, 1028 words, Ben McNeely, Independent Tribune, Concord, N.C.
- Reuters Dole Nutrition News Wins Web Marketing Association's Outstanding Achievement Award Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:50pm EDT http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS259766+29-Apr-2008+BW20080429
- Drug Week, May 16, 2008, EXPANDED REPORTING Pg. 2024
- Cook’s Corner: Free Food Deals, Partner with Fruit Southern Living Magazine April 2006 http://www.southernliving.com/southern
- Making Nutrition a Business Proposition by Joanna Lefebvre Food Management March 2007 p30-40 www.food-management.com
- No free lunch, but healthy diet improves productivity by Deborah Zabarenko Daily Challenge Brooklyn NY March 2, 2006
- Dole offers HR success to others. San Fernando Valley Business Journal http://www.enotes.com/san-fernando-valley-business-journal-journals/174597440
- Belleville News-Democrat (Illinois), January 1, 2008 Tuesday, C; Pg. 1, 223 words, GWEN SCHOEN, McClatchy Newspapers
- Childrens [sic] Hunger Fund and Dole Work to Distribute Nutrition Education Materials CSRWIRE Corporate Social Responsibility Newswire http://www.csrwire.com/News/9700.html