Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group
Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group (formerly NYSE: DTG) is a holding company for Thrifty Car Rental and Dollar Rent A Car, formed in 1990 by Chrysler and spun off in 1997. In November 2012, it was acquired by Hertz Global Holdings in a $2.3 billion deal.
The company at one time also owned Snappy Rent a Car (which was sold in 1994), Eurodollar and General Rent a Car (which was closed in 1993). It is headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Prior to 2009, the company primarily rented Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles within the United States, though some locations featured other brands, such as Mazda, Nissan, or Toyota. In October 2009, the company stated that it would move away from its traditional reliance on Chrysler Group vehicles, diversifying its fleet to include more brands than before.
DTAG was a Fortune 1000 company and has over 1,475 locations worldwide including more than 835 locations in the United States. In 2006, the company outsourced its IT operations to EDS. As of October 2009, the company had about 7,000 employees, 700 of them in Tulsa.
Thrifty Car Rental
Thrifty Car Rental was founded in 1958. From 1981 to 1989, Thrifty Automotive was owned by investment group of, William Lobeck, Alvin Swanner of New Orleans and Archer McWhorter of Houston.  It became a public company in 1987 and in 1989 it was acquired by Chrysler, where in 1990 it was combined with Dollar Rent A Car.
Together with its corporately-owned locations and those of its franchise owners, the Thrifty Car Rental brand has more than 1,028 locations in 68 countries.
Dollar Rent A Car
Dollar Rent a Car was founded in 1965 by Henry Caruso in Los Angeles, California. In 1990 it was acquired by Chrysler. Dollar has more than 647 worldwide locations in 53 countries, with a significant presence in Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America, including more than 358 in the United States and Canada.
Vehicles can vary between Corporate and Franchised locations, but there are a number of categories of car which are generally universal across all locations.
Both companies rent the same types of vehicles, since the companies are related to each other. The following is a list of the types of cars Dollar and Thrifty rent (In North America), or similar:
- Economy: Mazda 2
- Compact: Ford Focus
- Mid-Size: Dodge Avenger
- Standard: Chrysler 200
- Full-Size: Nissan Altima
- Premium: Ford Crown Victoria
- Luxury: Lincoln Town Car
- Standard Convertible: Ford Mustang
- Minivan: Dodge Grand Caravan
- Mid-Size SUV: Ford Escape
- Mid-Size Open-Air All-Terrain: Jeep Wrangler
- Standard SUV: Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Full-Size SUV: Ford Expedition
- Premium SUV: Chevrolet Tahoe
- Luxury SUV: Chevrolet Suburban
- "Hertz completes $2.3B purchase of Dollar Thrifty". Business Week. 20 November 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- D.R. Stewart, "Dollar Thrifty diversifies fleet brands", Tulsa World, October 12, 2009.
- Dollar Rent A Car official site
- Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group official site
- Thrifty Car Rental official site