||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
Eastwood as the Man with No Name.
|Directed by||Sergio Leone|
|Produced by||Arrigo Colombo
|Written by||Sergio Leone
Víctor Andrés Catena
Lee Van Cleef
Gian Maria Volonté
|Music by||Ennio Morricone|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Release date(s)||1: 16 October 1964
2: 18 November 1965
3: 15 December 1966
|Running time||1: 100 minutes
2: 132 minutes
3: 177 minutes
Total: 409 minutes
|Country||Italy (1, 2, 3)
West Germany (1, 2)
Spain (1, 2)
The Dollars Trilogy (Italian: Trilogia del dollaro), also known as the Man with No Name Trilogy, refers to the three Spaghetti Westerns starring Clint Eastwood and directed by Sergio Leone: A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965), and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966).
Although it was not Leone's intention, the three movies came to be considered a trilogy following the exploits of the same so-called "Man with No Name" (Eastwood, wearing the same clothes and acting with the same mannerisms). The "Man with No Name" concept was invented by the American distributor United Artists, looking for a strong angle to sell the movies as a trilogy. Eastwood's character does indeed have a name - albeit a nickname - and a different one in each film: "Joe," "Manco," and "Blondie," respectively.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is considered as a prequel by some,[who?] since it depicts Eastwood's character gradually acquiring the clothing he wears in the other two films and because it takes place during the American Civil War (1861–1865), whereas the other two films feature comparatively more modern firearms and other props, for example: Lee Van Cleef's character in For a Few Dollars More appears to be a Confederate veteran who has come down in the world, and a graveyard scene in A Fistful of Dollars features a gravestone dated 1873. Some[who?], however, believe the discrepancies to be nothing more than errors on the part of the filmmakers.
The only actors to appear in all three movies besides Eastwood are Mario Brega, Aldo Sambrell, Benito Stefanelli and Lorenzo Robledo. Four other actors each appear twice in the trilogy, playing different characters: Lee Van Cleef, Gian Maria Volonté, Luigi Pistilli, and Joseph Egger.
"I think [the Leone films] changed the style, the approach to Westerns [in Hollywood]. ... They made the violence and the shooting aspect a little more larger than life, and they had great music and new types of scores. ... They were stories that hadn't been used in other Westerns. They just had a look and a style that was a little different at the time: I don't think any of them was a classic story—like [John Wayne's 1956] The Searchers or something like that—they were more fragmented, episodic, following the central character through various little episodes."
Critical reception 
|A Fistful of Dollars||98% (43 reviews)||N/A|
|For a Few Dollars More||94% (34 reviews)||N/A|
|The Good, the Bad and the Ugly||97% (67 reviews)||90 (7 reviews)|
Box office performance 
|A Fistful of Dollars||October 16, 1964||$14,500,000||$200,000-$225,000|
|For a Few Dollars More||November 18, 1965||$15,000,000||$600,000|
|The Good, the Bad and the Ugly||December 15, 1966||$25,100,000||$1.2 million|
Home media 
- "FISTFUL - The Whole Story, part 2 - The Spaghetti Western Database". Spaghetti-western.net. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Cinema this week: The greatest director of all time". When Falls the Coliseum. 2009-04-24. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Eliot (2009), p.114-115
- A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) - Rotten Tomatoes
- For a Few Dollars More (Per Qualche Dollaro in Più) - Rotten Tomatoes
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (re-release) Reviews - Metacritic
- "For a Few Dollars More, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- The Man with No Name Trilogy (DVD) (20 March 2008): "A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" (1967)
- The Man with No Name Trilogy (Blu-ray) (1 June 2010): "A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" (1967)
- Eliot, Marc (2009). American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood. Harmony Books. ISBN 978-0-307-33688-0.