Dollywood's Splash Country
|Dollywood's Splash Country|
|Slogan||"Love Every Moment."|
|Location||Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, United States|
|Owner||Herschend Family Entertainment, Dolly Parton|
|Previous names||Dolly's Splash Country|
|Area||35 acres (140,000 m2)|
|Water slides||27 water slides|
|Children's areas||2 children's areas|
Dollywood's Splash Country is a water park located in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, adjacent to the Dollywood theme park. The park's central theme rests around entertainer Dolly Parton’s childhood swimming in the rivers of the Great Smoky Mountains. Dollywood's Splash Country operates from May through September.
Opened in May 2001 in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, Dolly's Splash Country was an addition to the Dollywood Company's theme park. To decide on a name for the park, Dolly Parton held a contest to come up with the most original name. Parton received over 16,000 entries. John Torres' entry won, and he and his family were rewarded with 5 years' worth of seasonal passes and a canoe that was signed by Dolly Parton. The park was built into the natural terrain of a 25 acres (100,000 m2) mountainous area adjacent to Dollywood theme park. The park was a $20 million investment ($26.6 million in 2015 dollars) by The Dollywood Company. The park opened with attractions such as Mountain Waves wave pool, Raging River Rapids, the Downbound Float Trip lazy river, The Butterfly, Little Creek Falls, Wild River Falls, and Mountain Scream.
Rides and attractions
- Big Bear Plunge - This outdoor attraction allows Guests in groups of 3 or 4 to raft on a white water themed water slide.
- The Butterfly - This is a double waterslide where Guests slide down 55 ft (17 m) and take a plunge in a butterfly-shaped pool and is the second fastest ride on the park.
- Fire Tower Falls - This outdoor attraction consist of twin water slides which rise 70 feet (21 m) in the air and is the fastest ride on the property.
- Mountain Scream - This outdoor attraction consists of three separate slides. Two of the slides are tunnel slides, and one is an open slide.
- Mountain Twist - This is an outdoor attraction consisting of a 42 ft (13 m) long open slide where a single person slides down on a mat.
- Raging River Rapids - This is an outdoor attraction where groups of 3 to 5 Guests can raft down a 700 ft (210 m) slide.
- RiverRush - This outdoor water coaster will blast you up and down as you sling shot past trees, and twist through hairpin turns with rushing water. RiverRush features a 25 ft (7.6 m) drop and a total track length of 1,176 ft (358 m).
- Slick Rock Racer - This multi-lane mat racer consists of 300 ft (91 m) long channels where single riders race up to 3 other riders in a race to the finish.
- Swift Water Run - This outdoor attraction send riders around a cork screw funnel before sending them out through a tunnel into a 1.5 ft (0.46 m) deep run out.
- Wild River Falls - This outdoor attraction consists of four slides where single or double riders zip down a fully or partially enclosed flume into a splash pool.
Non-height requirement attractions
These rides have no height requirement, although are not always gentle.
- Bear Mountain Fire Tower - This is an outdoor multi-level children’s attraction that consist of seven slides and a large wooden bucket timed to dump approximately 300 US gal (1,100 L) every few minutes.
- The Cascades - This is a 8,000 sq ft (740 m2) area which contains a cascading waterfall, an active 20 ft (6.1 m) geyser, a swift body slide, a gangplank shaped shallow water slide, contoured seating, a zero-depth children's play area with 25 interactive themed elements, and 24,000 sq ft (2,200 m2) of tiered deck space.
- Down Bound Float Trip - This is an outdoor attraction is a 1,000 ft (300 m) lazy river.
- Little Creek Falls - This outdoor attraction is strictly for children 48 in (120 cm) and under and contains a pool, slides, and activity structure.
- Mountain Waves - This is an outdoor attraction consisting of a 25,000 sq ft (2,300 m2) wave pool.
|Name||Opening Year||Description||Min. Height Requirement||Ride Rating|
|Height Requirement Attractions|
|Big Bear Plunge||2004||Family rafting adventure||36 in (91 cm)||4|
|The Butterfly||2001||Shotgun slides that enter into a splash pool||48 in (120 cm)|
|Fire Tower Falls||2006||Twin free fall body slides|
|Mountain Scream||2001||Body slide complex with two corkscrew tunnels and one triple drop slide|
|Mountain Twist||2003||Headfirst corkscrew mat slide||36 in (91 cm)||3|
|Raging River Rapids||2001||Family rafting adventure||48 in (120 cm)||4|
|RiverRush||2013||Hydromagnetic water coaster||42 in (110 cm)||4|
|Slick Rock Racer||2010||Headfirst mat racer||3|
|SwiftWater Run||2008||360 degree tube slide||48 in (120 cm)||4|
|Wild River Falls||2001||4 tube slide complex||36 in (91 cm)||4|
|Non-Height Requirement Attractions|
|Bear Mountain Fire Tower||2005||Family splash playground||none||2|
|The Cascades||2007||Interactive leisure pool||1|
|Downbound Float Trip||2001||Floating river|
|Little Creek Falls||Children's splash pool|
|Mountain Waves||Wave pool|
Food and beverage establishments
- Campsite Grill - Located in front of Downbound Float Trip, this food establishment has ample seating and offers a selection of hamburgers, cheese burgers, bacon burgers, garden burgers, chicken tenders and beverages.
- Dogs 'N' Taters - Located in front of Bear Mountain Fire Tower, this food establishment serves footlong hand-dipped corn dogs, hand-cut tater swirls, and kids meals.
- Fill & Chill Zones - with the purchase of a day or season mug, these self serve stations allow for free cold beverage refills.
- High Country - Located on the deck of Mountain Waves, this food establishment features chips, chili, sour cream, cheese, and other toppings. Other menu items include hot dogs, chili dogs, and nachos and cheese. Beverages include cold fountain drinks and frozen lemonade.
- Miss Mamie's - Located behind Campsite Grill, this food establishment serves a selection of personal-pan pizzas, breadsticks, and drinks.
- Outpost Snacks - Located in front of Mountain Waves, this establishment offers a variety of chili dogs, pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, and nachos.
- Shaded Rentals, Dollywood's Splash Country offers Riverside / Waterside Retreats measuring approximately 14 ft (4.3 m) by 21 ft (6.4 m) that offer 200 sq ft (19 m2) of shaded space and an additional 100 sq ft (9.3 m2) of sun deck. Net drapes provide seclusion as Guests enjoy a 27 in (69 cm) satellite television, a ceiling fan, and a dining table with six dining chairs and four lounge chairs. A hospitality staff provides room service to each retreat, included in rental fee. Daily rental fees apply for up to twelve people (linens, food, beverages, and park admission are not included with rental fee). Smaller private shade structures, Canopies, are also available.
- Big River Pavilion is a groups facility with seating for up to 96 Guests. Open on three sides and having food service, drink stations, and restrooms, Big River Pavilion offers large groups a catered venue for company or family outings. Catering fees not included in park admission.
- Riverside Trading Post sells souvenirs and most swimming supplies including towels, bathing suits, sunblock, swim diapers, etc.
Life jackets are provided free of charge to all Guests at convenient areas near Little Creek Falls, Mountain Waves and adjacent locker area, and the entrance of Downbound Float Trip. Tubes are provided at no additional charge for the wave pool, lazy river, and tube slides. Showers, changing areas, restrooms, family restrooms, and baby care centers are readily available. A limited number of strollers and wheelchairs are available for daily rental. Daily locker rentals are available. The park is staffed by an award-winning Jeff Ellis and Associates certified lifeguard team. Dollywood's Splash Country has a first aid station located near Big Bear Plunge with licensed medical personnel on duty at all times during operating hours.
Dollywood's Splash Country History
In 2001 the park opened.
In 2003, a $1.5 million, 2-acre (8,100 m2) expansion called Raintree Hollow opened featuring Soaker Springs and Mountain Twist.
In 2004, Dolly's Splash Country changed its name to Dollywood's Splash Country. Also in 2004, Dollywood's Splash Country added Big Bear Plunge and debuted the Riverside Retreats.
In 2005, the park opened Bear Mountain Fire Tower, a multi-level play structure, and quick-service restaurant Brushfire Grill.
In 2006, Dollywood's Splash Country added an attraction consisting of twin speed slides called Fire Tower Falls. This attraction opened up a new path up to the Mountain Waves attraction. Still to this day, Fire Tower Falls is the tallest Attraction at Splash Country.
In 2007, the park expanded by constructing The Cascades. Also this year, the park doubled its number of "retreats" to 16 by adding 8 Cascades retreats.
In 2008, SwiftWater Run, a cork screw water slide, replaced the Soaker Springs area.
In 2009, Dollywood's Splash Country added Philly cheesesteak and other menu offerings.
In 2010, Dollywood's Splash Country added Slick Rock Racer, a four lane mat slide, spanning 300 ft (91 m) in length. The ride starts with an initial dip to build speed allowing riders to gain additional momentum to propel them to the finish. This ride was a $1 million expansion located between Mountain Twist and Raging River Rapids.
In 2012, Brushfire Grill was remodeled into Dogs 'N' Taters. Hand-dipped footlong corn dogs replaced Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.
In 2013, Dollywood's Splash Country opened RiverRush. RiverRush uses Proslide's hydromagnetic technology to propel the rafts up hills. Dollywood's Splash Country also introduced the Time Saver Pass allowing guests to reserve their place in an attraction line. Dollywood's Splash Country's logo received minor update.
- 2001 - Dollywood's Splash Country was named the World Waterpark Association's Best New Water Park in America.
- 2007 - Dollywood's Splash Country was awarded the Must-See Waterpark Award at the 2009 "International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions" (IAAPA) Expo in Las Vegas.
- 2013 - RiverRush was voted as the best new ride (waterpark) of 2013 in Amusement Today's Golden Ticket Awards.
- Google (21 August 2012). "Dollywood's Splash Country" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Operating Calendar". Dollywood's Splash Country. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2014. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "RiverRush". Dollywood's Splash Country. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Retreat and Canopy Rentals". Dollywood's Splash Country. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Riverside Trading Post". Dollywood's Splash Country. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Dollywood's Splash Country. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Time Saver Pass". Dollywood's Splash Country. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Dollywood's Splash Country Wins IAAPA's Must-See Waterpark Award". Ultimate Waterpark. 17 November 2009. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Amusement Today — Golden Ticket Winners 2013" (PDF). Amusement Today. Retrieved September 17, 2013.