Dolores "LaLa" Brooks
Dolores Brooks "Sakinah Muhammad" (born June 20, 1947 in Brooklyn, NY) is a former member of the girl group The Crystals and Broadway actress. She is best known as the lead vocalist on their hits "Then He Kissed Me" and "Da Doo Ron Ron".
Brooks first displayed her talent by singing gospel music in church. At age seven, she took part in her siblings' gospel group called the Little Gospel Tears, where they sang in Brooklyn. While attending PS 73, she was discovered in an after-school program by Dolores "Dee Dee" Kenniebrew and her mother, who invited her to join the Crystals as a replacement for a departing member.
After leaving the Crystals, she married jazz and session musician Idris Muhammad (born Leo Morris) in 1966; the union brought two sons and two daughters. Shortly thereafter, she converted to Islam with him, going under the name "Sakinah Muhammad". She then helped him write and record his material over the years. In 1968, she appeared in the original Broadway production of the musical Hair, where she performed the song "Aquarius". She would later appear in the Broadway show Two Gentlemen of Verona in 1971. She also toured with and recorded for various artists (such as the Neville Brothers, Bobby Womack and Isaac Hayes); made short appearances in films; and contributed songs to different movie soundtracks (including the 1970 film Cotton Comes to Harlem). In 1971, she reunited with Kenniebrew, Mary Thomas, and Barbara Alston as the Crystals and toured and performed in rock-&-roll revival shows. Their touring lasted until 1973 when the members decided to devote their time to their families.
In 1983, she and her family moved to London, England, where she and Morris continued their careers in music. In 1990, they moved to Vienna, Austria where she continued singing and writing songs with Morris and also hosted a local radio show; they lived in Vienna until 1997. Andrew Edge sang backing vocals on her BMG (Austria) CD LaLa Brooks & Friends in 1994. In 1999, she and Morris divorced.
With The Crystals
NB. Nine of the twelve tracks on He's A Rebel also appeared on Twist Uptown
- Compilation albums
- 1963: The Crystals Sing the Greatest Hits, Volume 1
- 1992: The Best of the Crystals
- 2011: Da Doo Ron Ron: The Very Best of The Crystals
- 1963: "Da Doo Ron Ron" (US #3, UK #5 and UK #15 on re-issue in 1974)
- 1963: "Then He Kissed Me" (US #6, UK #2)
- 1964: "I Wonder" (UK #36)
- 1964: "Little Boy" (US #92)
- 1964: "All Grown Up" (US #98)
With Idris Muhammad
- Peace and Rhythm (Prestige, 1971)
as a solo artist
- All or Nothing (Norton, 2014)
3. ^ Norton Records Catalog: http://nortonrecords.gostorego.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=La+La+Brooks
- Facebook La La Brooks
- Dolores "LaLa" Brooks at the Internet Broadway Database
- Dolores "LaLa" Brooks at the Internet Movie Database
- Dolores "LaLa" Brooks on Myspace