Shane Tutmarc of Dolour
|Origin||Seattle, WA, U.S.A.|
Made In Mexico Records
Sonic Boom Recordings
|Members||Shane Tutmarc and a rotating cast of collaborators.|
Dolour was a musical alias of songwriter/producer Shane Tutmarc of Seattle, Washington. The band's name means "sorrow" or "grief." Musicians including Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes, members of The Divorce, United State of Electronica, The Lashes, and Vendetta Red contributed to the band.
Dolour was formed in Seattle, Washington in 1997, and released Waiting For A World War in April 2001. Tutmarc recorded Suburbiac, released on Brandon Ebel's Fugitive Records in 2002, with producer Aaron Sprinkle. The self-produced New Old Friends (2004) followed in 2004. Initially released independently, it was re-released on Damien Jurado's Made In Mexico Records in November.In late 2005, A Matter of Time: 2000-2005, a collection of album tracks and rarities was released by Japanese label Quince Records. Over the course of 2004-2006 Tutmarc produced two separate albums: Hell or Highwater and Storm & Stress, which were combined and released on Quince Records in Japan as The Years in the Wilderness in 2007.
Following his grandfather's death, Tutmarc began a deeper exploration of American roots music, and in early 2007, started a new group with his brother and cousin called Shane Tutmarc & The Traveling Mercies. On December 6, 2007, Tutmarc announced the end of Dolour as he focused his efforts on his new project.
After two albums with the Traveling Mercies (2007's I'm Gonna Live the Life I Sing About In My Song, and 2008's Hey Lazarus!), Tutmarc released his first solo album, "Shouting At A Silent Sky" on June 25th, 2009.
- Waiting For A World War (2001)
- Suburbiac (2002)
- New Old Friends (2004)
- "Hell or Highwater" (2011) * digital only
- "Storm & Stress" (2011) * digital only
- Iceland 7" (2001)
- CPR (2003)
- A Matter of Time: 2000-2005 (2005) Japanese only
- The Years in the Wilderness [Combining "Hell or Highwater" and "Storm & Stress"] (2007) Japanese only
- This Whole World - Making God Smile: An Artists' Tribute to the Songs of Beach Boy Brian Wilson (2002)
- Butterknife Suicide - In Honor: A Compilation to Beat Cancer (2004)
- An Easy Life - Various Artists - We Make Our Own Mistakes, Volume One (2005)
- Eye For An Eye and It's All Up To You - One Voice for Home: A Collection of Music by Artists Against Violence (2007)
- I Need A New Mentor - "Three Imaginary Girls 10th Anniversary Mix CD" (2012)