|Stable release||11.1.3 (Android)
|Operating system||Android, iOS, Bada|
Dolphin Browser is a proprietary mobile browser for the Android operating system and iOS developed by Mobotap. It was one of the first alternative browsers for the Android platform that introduced support for multi-touch gestures. Dolphin Browser uses the Webkit engine and the native platform rendering capabilities, which allows for a small disk footprint. It is capable of running Adobe Flash on Android.
- Tabbed Browsing Users can open and switch between web pages with multiple tabs either at the top of the screen or a thumbnail button at the bottom.
- Dolphin Sonar Users can use their voice to search, share and navigate within Dolphin, without typing a word. You can say eBay Nike Shoes and Dolphin goes into the eBay website, searches and displays all Nike shoes available on eBay.
- Gesture Browsing Users can create custom gestures for individual websites, and Dolphin Browser also comes pre-programmed with Gestures for many popular websites. For example, drawing a "T" may be used to visit Twitter and "F" to visit Facebook.
- Sync across devices and desktop browsers using Firefox and Chrome extension
- Webzine Webzine displays web content in a magazine-style format, providing select content from over 300 sources on topics including lifestyle, music, technology, business and many others. Webzine also caches content to be available offline.
Both iOS and Android versions are free without advertising. There is an advanced version called Dolphin Browser for Android 2.0 or later. Dolphin Browser Beta  was also launched in May 2012 and it is cited as most capable HTML5 browser scored over 450 on HTML5test.
In October 2011, privacy concerns were raised about Dolphin browser after it was discovered that all URLs loaded in Dolphin HD were being relayed as plain text to a remote server, a process described by Ars Technica as "an unambiguous breach of privacy". This breach was patched in the next update.
Since its initial release for Android, Dolphin has received generally positive reviews from both the media and the public. Both the Android and iOS versions have been particularly lauded for their gesture-based functionality, speed and ease-of-use. Business Insider claims "Dolphin Browser blows Safari out of the water."
As of November 15, 2011 Dolphin Browser iOS has maintained a 5 star rating across more than 6,500 reviews in the App Store. Dolphin Browser HD for Android had over 600,000 5 star reviews on Google Play (highest among browsers) but in April 2014 this rating fell, following a flurry of 1 star reviews by customers dissatisfied with changes made in the version 11 release.
Since its launch, Dolphin Browser has received several notable awards. The app was named one of PC Magazine's Best Free iPhone and iPad Apps of 2011, was a PC Magazine Editors Choice in 2012, and was named to the CNet 100 in 2011.
- Jessica Dolcourt. "Dolphin Browser for Android". CNET.com.
- Chris Ziegler. "Dolphin browser for Android adds multitouch support on Droid". Engadget. AOL Inc.
- Ryan Paul. "Hands on: Dolphin HD browser for Android is swimmingly good". Ars technica.
- Brent W. Hopkins. "Dolphin Browser™ HD Review".
- Kevin C. Tofel. "8 Reasons Android Owners Should Try Dolphin Browser". Gigaom.com.
- [dead link]
- Motorola il iDEN (2012-06-20). "Dolphin Browser's new Dolphin Engine is the fastest HTML5 mobile browser out there!". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- McCullagh, Declan. "Dolphin HD browser snared in security breach". CNET. Retrieved October 30, 2011.
- Paul, Ryan. "Major privacy flaw found in Dolphin HD browser for Android". Ars Technica. Retrieved October 30, 2011.
- "Webzine Does Not Store User Data". Dolphin Browser Blog. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Mark Saltzman (September 12, 2011). "Dolphin Browser, Surf Web with gestures". USA Today.
- Adam Dachis. "Dolphin Browser Brings Its Gesture-Based Web Browsing to the iPhone". Lifehacker. Gawker Media.
- "This New iPad Browser From Dolphin Blows Safari Out Of The Water". Business Insider.
- "Dolphin by Mobotap". iTunes App Store.
- "Dolphin Browser® HD - Android Apps on Google Play".
- "Best free iPhone and iPad apps of 2011". PC World.
- "PC Magazine's Editors' Choice". PCMag.
- "CNet 100". CNET.com.