|No. 8 – Unicaja Málaga|
|Power forward / Center|
May 3, 1996 |
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (208 cm)|
|Listed weight||215 lb (98 kg)|
|2012–2013||→ Clínicas Rincón (loan)|
Domantas Sabonis (born May 3, 1996) is a Lithuanian basketball player who has played for the Unicaja Málaga junior and senior teams. He is the son of Arvydas Sabonis, a legendary Lithuanian basketball player who has been inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Domantas wears the number 11 just like his father.
Despite being only a 16-year-old, on September 5, 2012 he debuted in the main Unicaja Málaga team during the game against Cibona Zagreb. However he was loaned to Clínicas Rincón for the 12/13 season. He was recalled in 2013. Domantas hasn't signed a professional contract with salary because he wishes to play in NCAA in 2014. On October 13, 2013, he debuted in ACB league as a Unicaja member. Domantas started the game in starting line-up and scored 6 points, grabbed 3 rebounds per 15 minutes of game action. He is the youngest Unicaja player to debut in ACB (17 years, 5 months and 10 days). On October 18, 2013, he debuted in the Euroleague during the game against the consecutive 2-time champions Olympiacos Piraeus by scoring 2 points with a dunk and grabbing 2 rebounds per 11 minutes. In 2014 D.Sabonis was named as one of the best young European players of the year. His best ACB game as a Unicaja Málaga member was during his eighteenth birthday on May 3, 2014, when he scored 13 points per 17 minutes with 100% shooting. On May 10, 2014 Sabonis won Spain Youth Basketball League silver medal with Unicaja junior team. During final game he scored 14 points (including one three pointer) and grabbed 8 rebounds.
Sabonis made his international debut with the Lithuania national team at the 2012 FIBA U-16 European Championship, averaging 14.1 points, 14.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game. He grabbed a tournament-high 27 rebounds against Poland on July 27. In 2013, being 17-year-old, Domantas played for Lithuania U-18 team in 2013 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship. He averaged 14 points, 11.4 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game and was tournament leader in rebounds per game. His best game was against Serbia when he scored 22 points, grabbed 22 rebounds and dished out 3 assists. Lithuania won the game 74-70 in OT. In 2014 coach Jonas Kazlauskas included Sabonis into preliminary 24 players list for main Lithuania national basketball team.
- Domantas Sabonis debuted in Unicaja main team (Lithuanian)
- Domantas Sabonis joins main Unicaja roster (Lithuanian)
- Unicaja with D.Sabonis and M.Kuzminskas started ACB league by victory (Lithuanian)
- D.Sabonis became the youngest player to debut in ACB as a Unicaja member. (Lithuanian)
- Highlights: Olympiacos Piraeus-Unicaja Malaga (1:35 D.Sabonis dunk) (English)
- FIBA EUROPE YOUNG MEN'S PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2013 FINAL VOTING (English)
- Per 18–ąjį gimtadienį Sabonis sužaidė geriausias sezono rungtynes (Lithuanian)
- Sabonis su „Unicaja“ Ispanijos jaunimo pirmenybėse iškovojo sidabro medalius (Lithuanian)
- Domantas Sabonis FIBAEurope.com (English)
- Players - Statistical Leaders (Rebounds) | U18 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP MEN - DIVISION A (English)
- Domantas Sabonis leds Lithuania past Serbia after OT (Lithuanian)
- LTU - Numerous options as Kazlauskas announces list for Spain 2014 (English)
- "Domas Sabonis Signs Men's Basketball Letter-Of-Intent" (Press release). Gonzaga Athletics. April 17, 2014. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- Interview of Domas Sabonis (English)