Manuel Dominguez High School
|Manuel Dominguez High School|
|15301 S. San Jose
Compton, California, USA
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Compton Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Red, Black, Gold|
|Rival||Lynwood High School|
Dominguez is known for having one of the most outstanding football teams in Southern California. Their main rival is Lynwood High School. The football team is led by coach Willie Donerson and his son Keith Donerson. They are a part of the CIF Southern Section, and San Gabriel Valley League. The Dominguez Football team has produced many NCAA, and NFL football players such as Greg Townsend, Richard Sherman, Jeron Johnson, Bruce Walker and Chilo Rachal.
In 2000, educators Catherine Borek and Karen Greene and an all-student cast produced the first theatrical production to take place at Dominguez in over two decades. Their process of mounting the production of Thornton Wilder's Our Town is the subject of a 2002 documentary by Scott Hamilton Kennedy entitled OT: Our Town.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (July 2010)|
- Hubie Brooks, Jr., James Rooker, Lyndie Kurt, Rick Kiel, former Major League Baseball players
- Cedric Ceballos, former NBA basketball player
- Tyson Chandler, professional basketball player for the NBA's New York Knicks, NBA Champion
- Travon Free, comedian, actor, writer, and former college basketball player
- Ray Holt, computer designer of the world's first microprocessor chip set for the US Navy F-14, the CADC
- Dr. Lynne A. Isbell, primatologist and professor, University of California, Davis. Author of the 2009 Harvard University Press book, "The Fruit, the Tree, and the Serpent: Why We See So Well".
- Dennis Johnson former professional basketball player
- Brandon Jennings, professional basketball player for the NBA's Detroit Pistons (transferred to Oak Hill Academy before graduating)
- Ken Landreaux, former Major League Baseball player
- Lionel Larry USA Gold Medal 2009 IAAF World Championships 4x400 relay
- Tim Mixon, professional football player
- Tayshaun Prince, professional basketball player for the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies
- Jordan Hamilton, professional basketball player for the NBA's Houston Rockets
- Chilo Rachal, professional NFL American Football player with the Chicago Bears.
- Tweedy Bird Loc, rapper and Hus'la College alumni.
- MC Ren (Lorenzo Patterson), member of the rap-group N.W.A
- Paul Rodriguez, stand-up comedian and actor.
- Greg Townsend, former NFL player
- Jeron Johnson, NFL player Seattle Seahawks
- Richard Sherman (American football), Super Bowl XLVIII champion for the Seattle Seahawks
- Bruce Walker, former NFL Player
- Daren Gilbert, former NFL Player
- Dominguez High School Library - http://sites.google.com/site/dominguezhslibrary/
- IMDB. OT: Our Town - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334029/
- PBS. OT: Our Town - Our Town's Timeless Cross-Cultural Appeal - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/americancollection/ourtown/ei_ot.html