John William Dominic Hibberd FRSL (3 November 1941 – 12 August 2012) was an English freelance author, academic and broadcaster, best known for his biographies of the poets Wilfred Owen and Harold Monro and his collections (edited with John Onions) of First World War poetry. He was an Honorary Vice-President of the Wilfred Owen Association and an Honorary Fellow of the War Poets Association.
Born and brought up in Guildford, he was educated at Rugby School and King's College, Cambridge. He went on to teach at Manchester Grammar School and at universities in Britain, the United States and China, before moving to Oxford and devoting himself full-time to writing. In April 2011 he was awarded a higher doctorate (Litt D) by Cambridge University in recognition of his work.
Hibberd died in the early hours of 12 August 2012 at his Oxfordshire home. His death came from pneumonia complicating Corticobasal Degeneration, a rare neurological disorder which was only subsequently diagnosed at post mortem. He was 70.
- Wilfred Owen: War Poems and Others edited by Dominic Hibberd (London: Chatto & Windus, 1973)
- Poetry of the First World War edited by Dominic Hibberd (London: Macmillan, 1981)
- Owen The Poet by Dominic Hibberd (London: Macmillan, 1986)
- Poetry of the Great War: An Anthology edited by Dominic Hibberd and John Onions (London: Macmillan, 1986)
- The First World War: Context and Commentary by Dominic Hibberd (London: Macmillan, 1990)
- Diary of a Dead Officer: Being the Posthumous Papers of Arthur Graeme West with new introduction by Dominic Hibberd (London: Imperial War Museum, 1991)
- Wilfred Owen: The Last Year 1917-1918 by Dominic Hibberd (London: Constable, 1992)
- Harold Monro: Poet of the New Age by Dominic Hibberd (Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave, 2001)
- Wilfred Owen: A New Biography by Dominic Hibberd (London: Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 2002)
- Strange Meetings: Poems by Harold Monro edited by Dominic Hibberd (Holt: Laurel Books, 2003)
- The Winter of the World: Poems of the First World War edited by Dominic Hibberd and John Onions (London: Constable & Robinson, 2007)
- Chapter 7 in The Oxford Critical and Cultural History of Modernist Magazines, Volume 1 (Oxford: OUP, 2009)
- Articles and reviews for many literary and academic publications, including The Cambridge Review, The Review of English Studies and The Times Literary Supplement. He contributed to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography articles on the Georgian Poets, Frederic Manning, Harold Monro, HH Munro (Saki) and Arthur Graeme West.
- Guardian review by Roy Hattersley of Dominic Hibberd's biography of Wilfred Owen
- "Debrett's People of Today". Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Dominic Hibberd - an Orion author
- "Dr Dominic Hibberd: expert on war poets". Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "In Memoriam Dominic Hibberd by Tim Kendall, Professor of English at the University of Exeter". Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- "Obituary for the Guardian by Mark Bostridge". The Guardian (London). 12 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Obituary in the Daily Telegraph 18 Sep 2012 p.29 and online". The Daily Telegraph (London). 17 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "Obituary in The Times by Dr Stuart Lee of Oxford University. Print edition 19 Sep 2012 p.58 and online to subscribers only".
|This article about a non-fiction writer from the United Kingdom or one of its constituent countries is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|