|Born||Dominic Bernard Patrick Luke Monaghan
8 December 1976
Berlin, West Germany
|Partner(s)||Evangeline Lilly (2004–2009)|
Dominic Bernard Patrick Luke Monaghan (/ /; born 8 December 1976) is a German-born English actor. He has received international attention from playing Meriadoc Brandybuck in Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and for his role as Charlie Pace on the television show Lost. In 2009 he played Chris Bradley / Bolt in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Monaghan was born in Berlin, West Germany, to British parents: Maureen, a nurse, and Austin Monaghan, a science teacher. He has an elder brother called Matthew who is the main songwriter and joint vocalist of the indie band Radiosepia. Monaghan's family lived in Berlin, Düsseldorf, Stuttgart and Münster, moving about every four years. When he was about 11 years old, his family moved from Germany to Heaton Moor in Stockport, England. Bernard is his maternal grandfather's name, and Patrick his paternal grandfather's name. He chose Luke as his confirmation name after Luke Skywalker from Star Wars, his favourite film series, which was also one of his inspirations for becoming an actor. In Stockport, he attended St Anne's Roman Catholic High School (where his uncle taught and later became head teacher) and Aquinas College, where he studied English literature, drama and geography.
Although Monaghan held many occupations when he was younger, he always wanted to be an actor. After his second year at St. Anne's, Monaghan became a regular in school plays such as Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol and Bugsy Malone before joining Manchester Youth Theatre. There, he was scouted for Hetty Wainthropp Investigates, on which he played Hetty's under-aged sidekick, Geoffrey Shawcross, for four series. He made his feature-film debut as Russian sailor Sasha in the TV film Hostile Waters.
Monaghan later starred in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy as Meriadoc Brandybuck, for which he achieved international acclaim and success. Monaghan narrated Ringers: Lord of the Fans, a documentary about The Lord of the Rings fandom. He also provided the narration for The Discovery Channel's documentary Devil's Bible in 2008. He also appeared in Soldiers of Fortune alongside Sean Bean and Christian Slater.
He was a regular cast member on the ABC series Lost playing English ex-rock star drug addict Charlie Pace. Monaghan originally auditioned for the role of Sawyer. The role of Pace was then changed from an old, washed up rocker from the 1980s, to a young one-hit wonder in order to accommodate Monaghan's age.
In 2009, Monaghan starred as Chris Bradley / Bolt in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. On 15 July 2009 it was confirmed that he would join the cast of ABC Studios' science fiction television series FlashForward as the character Simon. The series premiered on 24 September 2009. It was canceled after its first season. On 18 March 2010 Monaghan was spotted at the Universal Sheraton filming a short called Gloria. It was part of a programme called REESES Puff's Extraordinary Cinema (Where the teens replace the pros). He played the part of Caleb Reese.
In 2010, Monaghan and Megan Fox made an appearance as a couple in an abusive relationship in the music video for rapper Eminem's song "Love the Way You Lie". Scenes include the celebrities on top of a liquor store. Fox and Monaghan also filmed inside the store and "at a seedy dive bar next door" to the store.
In November 2012, A new show on Channel 5 titled Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan began airing in the UK. The show shows Monaghan travelling to various locations such as Venezuela and Ecuador to film and interact with the exotic and often dangerous local wildlife.
Monaghan is a nature lover, and has been active in the planting of trees, cacti and the pod-seeds of mature hedge-row bushes. He owns a small forest in India, and has worked with the animal rights group PETA. Monaghan has a great love for insects and reptiles that he developed during his childhood, and has kept an assortment of pets, including a leaf-mantis named Gizmo, a black widow spider named Witchitar and an albino snake named Blink. The newly discovered species of spiders Ctenus monaghani (de:Ctenus monaghani) is named after him.
An avid outdoorsman, Monaghan enjoys activities such as surfing, kayaking, snowboarding, football, basketball and hiking. He has also stated that he likes hunting for insects and reptiles outdoors. He learned karate as a child, used to practice yoga, and often goes to the gym for strength and weight training. He is a longtime supporter and fan of Manchester United.
Monaghan loves to play various games, and has hosted game nights for fellow cast members in the past. He is also fond of working the New York Times crossword puzzle.
On his right arm he has a tattoo of the Elvish word "nine" written in Quenya-mode Tengwar, a reference to his involvement in The Lord of the Rings and the fact that his character was one of the nine members of the Fellowship of the Ring. Seven other cast members and John Rhys-Davies' stunt double also got matching tattoos during the film's production, at Monaghan's instigation. Below that tattoo is another that reads, "Life imitates art", an Oscar Wilde quote. On his left arm is a tattoo, "Living is easy with eyes closed", a line from The Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever". He also has two stars tattooed on his left foot, one black, and one white. In 2010, Monaghan got two more tattoos, one on the upper side of the back ("Love you take is equal to the love you make", taken from the song "The End" by The Beatles). The other, done by Kat Von D on the television show LA Ink, is located on his lower right arm ("Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter", a quote from Yoda).
He resides in Los Angeles, California. In 2008 Monaghan held a photographic exhibit in Los Angeles in which he sold prints of his own works. A portion of the proceeds from the exhibit were given to an orangutan rescue organisation.
He has long been working on a script with LOTR co-star and good friend Billy Boyd. Dominic provided the inspiration for the naming of Boyd's band Beecake after he sent his friend a picture of a cake covered in bees.
|1997||Hostile Waters||Sasha||Television film|
|2001||The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring||Meriadoc Brandybuck|
|2002||The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers||Meriadoc Brandybuck|
|2003||The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King||Meriadoc Brandybuck||Screen Actors Guild Award win|
|2003||An Insomniac's Nightmare||Jack|
|2005||Ringers: Lord of the Fans||Narrator|
|2005||Shooting Livien||Owen Scott|
|2008||I Sell The Dead||Arthur Blake|
|2009||X-Men Origins: Wolverine||Chris Bradley / Bolt|
|2010||Soldiers of Fortune||Sin|
|2012||The Millionaire Tour||Casper|
|2013||Molly Moon: The great Hypnotist||Unknown|
|1996–1998||Hetty Wainthropp Investigates||Geoffrey Shawcross||Main cast member.|
|2000||This Is Personal: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper||Jimmy Furey|
|2000||Monsignor Renard||Etienne Pierre Rollinger|
|2004-2007; 2008; 2010||Lost||Charlie Pace||Main cast member 2004–2007 (65 episodes)
Recurring special guest star 2008 and 2010.
Screen Actors Guild Award win; 65 episodes
|2008||MADtv||Himself||Aired 26 April 2008|
|2008||CQC||Himself||23 June 2008. In CQC Argentina with Evangeline Lilly|
|2009||Chuck||Tyler Martin||One episode – Chuck Versus the Third Dimension|
|2009–10||FlashForward||Dr. Simon Campos||Main cast member|
|2010||LA Ink||Himself||Guest appearance|
|2010||Top Gear (U.S. TV series)||Himself||Big Star in a Small Car
Lap Time 1:45.3
|2011||The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson||Voice of Geoff Peterson||Guest appearance|
|2012||The Unknown||Mark Nickel||All Episodes. A Crackle.com Original Series.|
|2012||Childrens Hospital||Dr. Owen Maestro||Episode "British Hospital"|
|2012||Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan||Himself||All Episodes|
|2012||The Millionaire Tour Web Serie||Casper||All Episodes|
|2012||Soccer AM||Himself||One Episode|
|2013||The Eric Andre Show||Himself||One Episode|
|2014||100 Code||Tommy Conley||12 Episodes|
|2010||Eminem featuring Rihanna||"Love the Way You Lie"||With Megan Fox as his girlfriend|
- Webster, Di (17 August 2005). "Dominic Monaghan". Who (in English). Retrieved 2006-10-09. "Dominic Bernard Patrick Monaghan, his middle names are from both of his grandfathers"
- "Lost Boy". Rollingstone.com. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Dominic Monaghan Exclusive Interview at scene-magazine.com".
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) – IMDb
- "Flash Forward: Dominic Monaghan Is Indeed Confirmed". Buddytv.com. 2009-07-15. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- Ausiello, Michael (May 13, 2010). "THIS JUST IN: ABC cancels 'Romantically Challenged,' 'Scrubs,' 'Better Off Ted,' and 'FlashForward'". EW.com (Time Warner). Retrieved June 3, 2010. "In less surprising news, the Alphabet net has also cancelled Better Off Ted, Scrubs, and FlashForward"
- "Eminem & Rihanna's Video Pics Hit The Web". MTV UK. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- Kahn, Joseph (2010-07-24). "Twitter / Joseph Kahn: And that's a wrap! Eminem/ ...". Twitter. Retrieved 2010-07-24.
- Montgomery, James (2010-07-26) "Megan Fox, Dominic Monaghan Caught Kissing For Eminem Video – News Story". MTV.com. MTV Networks.
- "The Bureau: XCOM Declassified: Live Action". Official 2K Games YouTube Channel. Retrieved 2014-01-24.
- "Lost Star Dominic Monaghan Appears in New PETA Wildlife Ad". HelpingAnimals.com. Retrieved February 21, 2008.
- Dominic Monaghan – Biography[unreliable source?]
- "Lord Of The Rings | Monaghan + Chameleon Pet's Tearful Goodbye". Contactmusic. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- Ctenus Monaghani : A Hobbit Helps Find A Spider Far From Mt. Doom
- Schwarz, Rae. "The Tattoos of the Fellowship of the Ring". BellaOnline. Retrieved May 28, 2007.
- "Evangeline Lilly’s Lost Loves | Hollywood Heartbreaker | Dominic Monaghan". Hollywood Heartbreaker. 2010-05-22. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Evangeline Lilly's marriage plans". Female First. 2008-06-19. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- Dominic Monaghan Biography – IMDb – Retrieved May 28, 2007[unreliable source?]
- "Dominic Monaghan | Lost Star Gets Lead Role". Contactmusic. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- Dominic Monaghan at the Internet Movie Database
- Dominic Monaghan interview
- Dominic Monaghan – The cool Briton (Unofficial Website)