||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
Dominique Atkins is a British jazz and dance singer from London. She has been a member of Grace, Mekka, The Space Brothers, and Ursula's World. Her hit singles include "Not Over Yet", "Skin On Skin", "If I Could Fly", "Down To Earth", and "I Want To Live". She co-wrote and sang on Tilt's 1999 hit single "Invisible". Atkins also performed concerts in jazz clubs, as well as in China.
Though born in the Middle East, Atkins was raised in South London. Her father's love for classical jazz was a powerful influence in her music. Atkins' father is a jazz trumpet player, and she performed as balladeer with her father in clubs from the age of thirteen. Paul Oakenfold and Steve Osborne were impressed by her singing, and she joined them in the dance group Grace in 1995.
During 1997, Atkins decided to not continue with Grace, and returned to solo work as well as collaborating with Tilt. She also was the vocalist in Elevate feat Dominique on "Next Life"; and Mekka's "Diamondback". In 1999 she performed vocals, mixed with those of Patti Low, in Grace's re-release of "Not Over Yet". Atkins also appears in Grace music videos as the lead singer and also on cover artwork. She also starred in the BBC One play, Out Of The Blue as Angelique alongside Cathy Tyson, Colin Firth and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
Atkins also wrote the song "Turn On The Radio", which was on the album Plethora by Loverush UK! which was available in 2009.
In December 2011, a new track for Grace (including Atkins) was announced as being written on Tilt's official Facebook page.
- Grace – "Not Over Yet" (1995)
- Grace – "If I Could Fly" (1996)
- Grace – "Down to Earth" (1996)
- Grace – "Skin on Skin" (1996)
- Grace – "Your Not Mine" / "Down To Earth" (1996)
- Grace – If I Could Fly (album) (1996)
- Elevate feat Dominique – "Next Life"
- Eurogroove feat Dominique – "Don't Keep Me Hangin' On"
- Eurogroove – "Scan Me" (Remix)
- Ursula's World – "I Will Be With You"
- Tilt – "Invisible"
- Jon Pleased Wimmin – "Passion"
- Mekka – "Diamondback"
- Virus – "Hypnotize"
- Loverush UK! - "Turn On The Radio" (written by Atkins)
- Bush, John. "Grace - Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-12-27.
- "Chilled Euphoria [Ministry of Sound] - Various Artists : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. 2009-08-24. Retrieved 2012-12-27.
- "Trance Fix - Latest trance news, reviews, downloads, music and more!". Trancefix.nl. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
|This article about a jazz musician from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a British singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a jazz singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|