Don't Give Up (Chicane song)
|"Don't Give Up"|
|Single by Chicane featuring Bryan Adams|
|from the album Behind the Sun|
|Released||6 March 2000
(See release history)
|Format||CD single, 12"|
|Recorded||Modena One, Mothership Studios UK|
|Genre||Progressive house, vocal trance|
|Length||3:42 (2000 radio edit)
3:58 (2004 radio edit) 8:38 (Album Version)
|Writer(s)||Nick Bracegirdle, Bryan Adams, Ray Hedges|
|Producer(s)||Bracegirdle, Ray Hedges;
Alex Gold, Chris Agnelli, Robbie Nelson (2004)
"Don't Give Up" is a song by Chicane, alias of British producer Nick Bracegirdle, with vocals recorded by Canadian rock/pop singer Bryan Adams. It was released in March 2000 as a single, peaking at number one on the UK Singles Chart and becoming a popular dance track in clubs across Europe and North America.
With Bryan Adams
The collaboration between the two musicians began in 1999, when Adams contacted Bracegirdle at his studio to arrange for a remix of Adams's forthcoming single "Cloud Number 9" from his 1998 album On a Day Like Today. The resulting remix was selected by Adams as the radio edit of the single, which went on to reach #6 on the UK chart.
Later, having written the music for a track that needed to be turned into a song, Bracegirdle played the idea to Adams during his search for a voice. Adams agreed to the role, and also wrote the melody and lyrics to the song "Don't Give Up".
Adams's rock-styled vocals were buried in audio processing. This was done through Prosoniq's OrangeVocoder plugin on Steinberg's Cubase VST digital audio workstation. Even though his voice was altered electronically, it is still recognisable.
A 14 second sample of "Don't Give Up" demonstrating Bryan Adams' processed vocals.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
A 30 second sample of " (Everything I Do) I Do It For You" demonstrating Bryan Adams' rock-style vocals in an unprocessed state.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Adams's vocal credit was initially not publicized, particularly when the single, in a white label release, was first played by noted BBC Radio 1 DJ Pete Tong on his 31 December 1999 Essential Selection show. It was chosen as Tong's "Essential New Tune" selection, which, on this episode, was specially designated "Essential New Tune for the millennium". On a later January show, Judge Jules, standing in for Tong, played it as the Essential New Tune again. It was also included on Tong's Essential Selection Spring 2000 compilation album.
On the week of 12 March 2000, "Don't Give Up" overtook "American Pie", Madonna's #1 single of the previous week, on the UK Singles Chart, outselling it by 1224 copies. The song feautred on the acclaimed 2000 mix album CreamLive.
The song sold 270,000 copies in the UK as stated by the Official UK Charts Company.
In 2004, following Bracegirdle's departure from Xtravaganza, the label issued "Don't Give Up 2004", a single including only new remixes by label founder Alex Gold and Xtravaganza artists Agnelli & Nelson.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||17|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||18|
|Canada Dance (RPM)||9|
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)||9|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||8|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||24|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||14|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||14|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||42|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play||3|
"American Pie" by Madonna
|UK number one single
12 March 2000 – 18 March 2000
"Bag It Up" by Geri Halliwell
|Worldwide||6 March 2000|
|Worldwide (2004 version)||4 February 2004|
- Shepherd, Stephanie (September 2000). "Samplings - Chicane - Carries Ibiza Sound Across the Pond". DJ Times. Retrieved 2006-04-30.
- "Interview with BBC Radio 1". Chicane.cc. February 2000. Retrieved 2006-04-30.
- "Tracks: Nick Bracegirdle: Recording Chicane's "Don't Give Up"". Sound on Sound. May 2000. Retrieved 2006-04-30.
- "Pete Tong - Essential Selection - 31.12.99". The Aimless Essential Selection Index. Retrieved 2006-12-05.
- Gill, Alexandra. Bryan Adams, king of rave?. Globe Interactive. 22 August 2000. Accessed 29 March 2006.
- Finan, Chris (2000). "Chicane - 'Don't Give Up' (Xtravaganza)". Dotmusic (retrieved from the Internet Archive). Archived from the original on 2000-02-29. Retrieved 2006-12-05.
- "Pete Tong - Essential Selection - 14.01.00". The Aimless Essential Selection Index. Retrieved 2006-12-05.
- "Interview with BBC Radio 1". Chicane.cc. 12 March 2000. Retrieved 2006-04-30.
- Rated 4.5/5 stars by Allmusic http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/cream-live-mr0002978718
- "Australian-charts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- Canada Dance peak
- Eurochart peak
- "Chicane feat. Bryan Adams: Don't Give Up" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Chartverfulgong > Chicane feat. Bryan Adams > Don't Give Up – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Italiancharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Zywietz, Tobias. Chart Log UK: Oliver Cheatham - Convert. (22 March 2005). Chart Log UK. Accessed 2 April 2006.
- "Artist Chart History - Chicane ". billboard.com. Retrieved 13 August 2008.