Don't Know Much
|"Don't Know Much"|
|Single by Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville|
|from the album Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind|
|Released||September 12, 1989|
|Recorded||March–August, 1989, Skywalker Ranch, Marin County|
|Genre||Pop rock, adult contemporary|
|Writer(s)||Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil & Tom Snow|
|Producer(s)||Peter Asher & Steve Tyrell|
|Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville singles chronology|
"Don't Know Much" is a classic song written by Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil and Tom Snow. The original version was recorded by Barry Mann in 1980 and made famous when covered as a duet by Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville in 1989. The title is a phrase from its refrain, I don't know much, but I know I love you, and that may be all I need to know.
The song had a rich history prior to its success in 1989. It first appeared on Barry Mann's self-titled 1980 album, released on Casablanca records. Bill Medley and Bette Midler (under the title "All I Need to Know") then had minor chart success with it in 1981 and 1983, respectively.
In 1985, Audrey Landers recorded the song as "All I Need to Know" for her second album for the German market, Paradise Generation, by Glenn Jones on his 1987 self-titled album for Jive Records, and gospel singer Cynthia Clawson also has a version under this title on her 1990 album Words Will Never Do.
Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville version
The song was covered on Linda Ronstadt's Triple Platinum 1989 album Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind. It was introduced to Ronstadt and Neville by Steve Tyrell. Co-produced by Tyrell and Peter Asher, it was released as a single in the U.S. in 1989, peaking at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in December, 1989 (behind Phil Collins' Another Day in Paradise) and #1 (where it held for 5 consecutive weeks) on both the adult contemporary chart and pop sales charts. The single was certified Gold and eventually sold over 900,000 copies in the US alone. In the UK, the song peaked at #2 on the British pop chart. The song also hit #1 in Canada, Ireland, Australia, and several other countries. The song proved to be Ronstadt's final Billboard Top Ten hit.
In the video, Neville and Ronstadt portray a middle-aged couple that are remembering their past and all the difficulties they seem to have faced together. The song is a symbolic representation of growing old together and being unsure of the future, only knowing that it has been the love which is so clear between them.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||3|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||4|
|Ireland (Irish Singles Chart)||1|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||6|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||4|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||2|
- Linda Ronstadt - Vocals
- Aaron Neville - Vocals
- Don Grolnik - Piano
- Mike Landau - Electric guitar
- Lee Sklar - Bass
- Carlos Vega - Drums
- Michael Fisher - Percussion
- Robbie Buchanan - Keyboard
- Skywalker Symphony Orchestra - arranged and conducted by David Campbell
- "Australian-charts.com – Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville feat. Aaron Neville – Don't Know Much". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville – Don't Know Much" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville – Don't Know Much" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Top Singles - Volume 51, No. 10, January 20, 1990". RPM. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Search for song". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville – Don't Know Much" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville – Don't Know Much". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart: 1989-12-09" UK Singles Chart.
- Illegal name entered Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville/Linda+Ronstadt+feat.+Aaron+Neville/chart?f=341 "Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville.
- Illegal name entered Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville/Linda+Ronstadt+feat.+Aaron+Neville/chart?f=379 "Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Linda Ronstadt feat. Aaron Neville.
"Healing Hands" by Elton John
|Billboard Adult Contemporary number-one single
October 28, 1989
"Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins