Don't Rain on My Parade
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|"Don't Rain On My Parade"|
|Popular song, Show tune by Barbra Streisand from the album Funny Girl: Original Broadway Cast Recording, Funny Girl: The Original Soundtrack Recording|
|Recorded||20 December 1963|
|Writer||Bob Merrill (lyricist)|
|Composer||Jule Styne (composer)|
"Don't Rain On My Parade" is a popular song from the 1964 musical Funny Girl. It was also featured in the 1968 movie version of the musical. The song was written by Bob Merrill and Jule Styne. Both the movie and stage versions feature Barbra Streisand performing the song, which is often cited as the ultimate rousing Act One closer (along with another "parade" song, "Before the Parade Passes By" from Hello, Dolly!) It has since become one of her signature tunes. Streisand has sung this song live on many occasions, including during her highly successful comeback tour Barbra Streisand: The Concert Tour (1993–1994), Timeless Live In Concert Tour (1999–2000) and the recent Streisand: The Tour (2006–2007). The instrumental of this song can be heard during the Overture of the stage show, the film and on Streisand's 2006-2007 Tour. This song was also used in episode 13 "Sectionals" of the first season of "Glee" sung by the character Rachel Berry at their Glee club Sectionals.
There is a reprise version of this song with alternate lyrics which served as the finale for the stage show. This number was cut from the film. Streisand sang this version live for the first time since her run in the original Broadway production as an encore during her 2006/07 Tour.
Barbra Streisand versions
- "Don't Rain On My Parade" from "Funny Girl: Original Broadway Cast Recording" (1964) - 2:46
- "Don't Rain On My Parade (Reprise)" from "Funny Girl: Original Broadway Cast Recording" (1964) - 2:07
- "Don't Rain On My Parade" from "Funny Girl: Original Soundtrack Recording" (1968) - 2:45
- "Don't Rain On My Parade" (Live) from "Live Concert At The Forum" (1972) - 2:39
- "Don't Rain On My Parade" (Live) from "Barbra Streisand ... and Other Musical Instruments" (1973) - 2:38
- "I'm Still Here/Everybody Says Don't/Don't Rain On My Parade" (Live) from "Barbra: The Concert" (1994) & "The Concert: Highlights" (1995) - 4:26
- "I'm The Greatest Star/Second Hand Rose/Don't Rain On My Parade" (Live) from "Timeless: Live in Concert" (2000) - 5:25
- "Don't Rain On My Parade (Live)" from "Live In Concert 2006" (Target Exclusive Version Only) (2007) - 2:57
- "Don't Rain On My Parade (Reprise)" from "Live In Concert 2006" (2007) - 3:31
The song was covered by many artists, among the notable ones are Bobby Darin in 1966, Shirley Bassey in 1965, Nancy Wilson, Japan in 1978 and by Only Men Aloud! in 2008. Annie Lennox version was used in the film American Beauty and the trailer for Catch Me If You Can.
Tony Award Winner Idina Menzel also sings this song in the Kennedy Honors concert dedicated for original singer Barbra Streisand.
The Dorothys on Over the Rainbow, the TV show in which Andrew Lloyd Webber chooses a Dorothy for the west end production, also sing this song as a group number.
It was also used in the BBC sitcom Beautiful People.
International champion barbershop quartet Max Q covered it on their 2009 album, Journey.
Lea Michele, as Rachel Berry, performed the song on Glee, in the episode "Sectionals", aired December 9, 2009. Her cover version was released as a single available for download, and is also featured in the soundtrack album Glee: The Music, Volume 2. It charted at number 59 in Canada and 53 in the US. The character Rachel also repeated this performance for her NYADA audition in the episode 'Choke' which aired May 1, 2012.
Michele also performed the song during the Glee Cast Glee Live! In Concert! tour. Subsequently, the live version is featured in Glee: The 3D Concert Movie as well in the movie soundtrack album Glee: The 3D Concert Movie (Motion Picture Soundtrack).
Michele also performed it during the 64th Tony Awards on June 13, 2010.