Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)
|"Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)"|
|Single by Mariah Carey featuring Mystikal|
|from the album Glitter|
|Released||December 10, 2001|
|Format||CD single, 12" single|
|Writer(s)||Mariah Carey, DJ Clue, Duro, Mystikal, Tom Browne, Carrollyne Smith|
|Producer(s)||Mariah Carey, DJ Clue, Duro|
"Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)" is a song by American singer and songwriter Mariah Carey, featuring Mystikal, from her eighth studio album Glitter (2001). It was written and produced by herself, DJ Clue, Duro, and Mystikal. The song is built around a sample of the 1980 song "Funkin' for Jamaica (N.Y.)" produced by Tom Browne and Toni Smith. Mystikal raps about wild times during the song's verses, while Carey repeatedly tells him "don't stop" in the chorus. It was released as the album's third single on December 10, 2001 by Virgin Records.
"Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)" received mixed reviews from music critics who were ambivalent towards its sample usage. Like the preceding singles from the album, "Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)" was a commercial disappointment. It did not chart on the US Billboard Hot 100, but it appeared at number 23 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart. It reached the top forty in the UK and Australia, as part of a double A-side with "Never Too Far". The music video for the song directed by Sanaa Hamri decipts Carey and Mystikal in "southern style".
"Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)", was composed by Carey and DJ Clue, and interpolates "Funkin' for Jamaica (N.Y.)" by Tom Browne. Featuring guest verses from Mystikal, with the former declaring "Ain't nothin' you could do with the man / Except for shake your ass and clap your hands", while Carey responds "Don't stop bay-beee, its ex-ta-see / Turn me up a little." Mystikal's vocals were compared to those of James Brown.
Larry Nager from The Cincinnati Enquirer commented that Carey "grooves with less success to Tom Browne's '80s fusion hit, 'Funkin' for Jamaica'". Slant Magazine editor Sal Cinquemani wrote that "not all of Glitter is, ahem, gold. Carey is relegated to a virtual hood ornament of Don't Stop." Natalie Nichols from Los Angeles Times gave a mixed statement, commenting how the song was "almost campy", but "guilty fun". People magazine was more negative, stating that the song borrowed "a little too lazily" from its sampled song.
The accompanying music video for "Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)" was directed by Sanaa Hamri and filmed at the Maple Leaf Bar and a swamp outside New Orleans, Louisiana. It has the theme of southern bayous and lifestyles and presents Carey and Mystikal in "southern style" clothes and hairstyles. Some shots feature three versions of Carey singing into one microphone on the screen at one time. "Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)" appears in a scene of the film Glitter, when producer Julian "Dice" Black has met Billie Frank (played by Carey) and invites her to an impromptu freestyle jam session in his club.
Formats and track listings
European CD single
Australian/European CD maxi-single
- "Never Too Far" (Edit)
- "Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)" (featuring Mystikal)
- "Loverboy" (Drums Of Love)
- "Never Too Far" (The Video)
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||4^|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||1^|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||67^|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||65^|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||32^|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||23|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||42|
^ "Never Too Far" / "Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)"
- Groove Interrupted: Loss, Renewal, and the Music of New Orleans, p. 181, at Google Books
- "Australian-charts.com – Mariah Carey – Never Too Far / Don't Stop". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Mariah Carey – Never Too Far / Don't Stop" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Mariah Carey – Never Too Far / Don't Stop" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Mariah Carey – Never Too Far / Don't Stop" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Italiancharts.com – Mariah Carey – Never Too Far / Don't Stop". Top Digital Download. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Mariah Carey – Never Too Far / Don't Stop" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swisscharts.com – Mariah Carey – Never Too Far / Don't Stop". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2001-12-29" UK Singles Chart.
- Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles
- Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs