Don't Stop the Party (Pitbull song)
|"Don't Stop the Party"|
|Single by Pitbull featuring TJR|
|from the album Global Warming|
|Released||September 25, 2012|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Label||Mr. 305, Polo Grounds, RCA|
|Writer(s)||Armando C. Pérez, TJ Rozdilsky, José García, Jorge Gomez Martinez, Warwick Lyn, Frederick Hibbert|
|Producer(s)||TJR, Chris Lake|
|Pitbull singles chronology|
"Don't Stop the Party" is a song recorded by American rapper Pitbull for his seventh studio album Global Warming. The song features TJR and includes samples of the song "Funky Kingston" by Toots and the Maytals replayed by Mark Summers at Scorccio Sample Replays. It was released on September 25, 2012 as the album's third single by RCA Records. The song was written by Pitbull, TJ Rozdilsky, José García, Jorge Gomez Martinez, Warwick Lyn, and Frederick Hibbert, and it was produced by Rozdilsky under his stage name TJR, with additional production by Scottish house producr Chris Lake. Rozdilsky had previously written the song as "Funky Vodka", which caught Pitbull's attention. It has peaked at number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song's accompanying music video was noted for its sexually explicit content, and was subsequently banned from airing in the United Kingdom.
Background and composition
Global Warming was released on November 19, 2012. It is a hip hop, Latin and R&B album which includes styles of Latin hip hop and pop rap. Artists who appeared on the album include Christina Aguilera, Chris Brown, Enrique Iglesias, The Wanted, DJ Havana Brown and Usher. The song was originally titled "Funky Vodka" as written by TJR. The song was played heavily at the Miami Winter Music Conference and caught the attention of Pitbull who asked TJR to work with him for it to be a single from Global Warming.
Speaking about the viral success of the track, TJR has stated: "Funky Vodka is probably the track I'm most proud of. It was pretty cool to see an old school sample-based house tune make it to the overall number one spot on Beatport." "Funky Vodka" itself is based around the Jamaican Reggae classic "Funky Kingston" (1973) by Toots and the Maytals. The sample replay of "Funky Kingston" was produced by Mark Summers at Scorccio Sample Replays. "Don't Stop the Party" is a dance-pop and Eurodance song with elements of house music, which has a running time of three minutes and twenty-six seconds (3:26). The single version was written by TJR, Pitbull, Bigram Zayas, and Frederick "Toots" Hibbert. Marc Kinchen, TJR and DJ Buddha served as producers.
Alexandra Capotorto of PopCrush said that the song "leaves something to be desired, since it’s super repetitive." It has so far peaked at seventeen on the Billboard Hot 100. It has cracked the top ten in Austria and Canada. In Australia, "Don't Stop The Party" debuted at twenty-three on October 8, 2012. The following week, it peaked at fifteen. In New Zealand, it debuted at thirty-seven on October 15; the following week it peaked at twenty-three. To date, it has peaked at sixteen on the Billboard Mainstream Pop Songs chart. Additionally, it has broke into the top-twenty of the Billboard Hot Rap Songs chart, so far reaching five.
The music video was first released onto Pitbull's official VEVO channel on October 26, 2012 and was directed by David Rosseau. It features Pitbull on a yacht with several people drinking vodka, as well as naked women, including porn star Kennedy Leigh and the model Claudia Sampedro, with materials placed in necessary places. The video has received over 50 million views.
The video was banned from airing in the United Kingdom for being too sexually explicit after reports "flooded in". Natalie Palmer of Entertainmentwise said: "Musicians always want to make an impact, and the best way to do this is with a controversial music video as Pitbull has now discovered." A television source[who?] complained that the issues included semi-naked girls, grinding, and girls drinking vodka, which was deemed "too risque" for younger audiences. Ayeesha Walsh of The Sun wrote: "In several parts of the video Pitbull is seen sitting at the foot of the bed whilst topless girls stroke his chest provocatively. There is also obvious placement of a well known vodka brand which leads to further violation of regulations about alcohol and sexual content." Additionally, Walsh noted that the music video was still available online despite it being banned from television screens. Grace Carroll of Gigwise called the video "99.9% porn".
Pitbull performed "Don't Stop The Party" at the 2012 MTV Europe Music Awards on November 11, 2012 in Frankfurt, Germany. Alexandra Capotorto noted that Pitbull: "looked like he was straight off the set of a ‘Men in Black’ film during his performance." He was dressed in black with a white shirt underneath a pair of his signature dark sunglasses. Capotorto said: "he entertained the crowd with his song — and leave it to the master to have background dancers in the form of beautiful women dressed in tight white bodysuits and white wigs." He also performed it at the Latin Grammy Awards of 2012 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on November 15. He also performed it at the 2012 American Music Awards.Also performed this song in the IPL 6 Opening Ceremony at Kolkata,India.
Usage in media
"Don't Stop the Party" was used the promos of VH1 Latin America NEO: Musica Nueva. and in Chile, the song was used the promo of Telecanal A las 11 and credits of TVN's Juga2. The song is also played in Despicable Me 2.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (September 2013)|
Charts and certifications
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the single's official liner notes.
|Worldwide||September 26, 2012||Digital download||Polo Grounds, J|
|United States||September 25, 2012||Digital download||Polo Grounds, J|
|United Kingdom||December 3, 2012||Digital download|
- Walsh, Ayeesha (2012-11-07). "New Pitbull music video banned from UK for being too explicit". The Sun. News International. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Palmer, Natalie (2012-11-08). "Pitbull's 'Don't Stop The Party' Video Has Been Banned! 10 Other Videos Too Raunchy For TV". Entetainmentwise. Gigwise. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- (E! Online Staff) "Pitbull Sets World Ablaze with 'Global Warming'". E! Online. NBCUniversal. August 13, 2012. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- "Global Warming - Pitbull : Releases : Allmusic". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- "Global Warming - Pitbull : Credits : Allmusic". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- Lansky, Sam (November 8, 2012). "Pitbull’s ‘Global Warming’ Tracklist: Album Features Christina Aguilera, The Wanted, Jennifer Lopez". Idolator. Buzz Media. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- "Pitbull to release new album". Zee News. Essel Group. November 9, 2012. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Tonks, Owen (01-11-2012). "WATCH: Pitbull Unveils Don't Stop The Party Video". Entertainmentwise. Gigwise. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "PITBULL - DONT STOP THE PARTY".
- "Global Warming - Pitbull". Allmusic. (All Media Guide). Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- Dont Stop the Party (liner notes). Pitbull featuring TJR. RCA Records. 2012.
- Capotorto, Alexandra (12-11-2012). "Pitbull Performs 'Don't Stop the Party' at the 2012 Europe Music Awards". PopCrush. Townsquare Media. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Pitbull Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Pitbull. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "Austria Singles Top 75 Week 42 2012". acharts.us. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- "Canada Singles Top 100 Week 49 2012". acharts.us. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- "Australia Singles Top 50 Week 41". acharts.us. 8 October 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- "Australia Singles Top 50 Week 42". acharts.us. 15 October 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- "Charts.org.nz – Pitbull feat. TJR – Don't Stop The Party". Top 40 Singles.
- "Pitbull Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Pitbull. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- Taylor, Frances (2012-11-08). "Pitbull's new video 'Don't Stop The Party' 'banned on TV in UK'". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi UK. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- "Pitbull - Don't Stop The Party ft. TJR". YouTube.
- "Too rude: UK bans raunchy new Pitbull video". MSN. Microsoft. 2012-11-08. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Carroll, Grace (2012-11-08). "WATCH: PITBULL'S '99.9 PER CENT PORN' VIDEO BANNED FROM UK TV". Gigwise. Giant Digital.
- "Jesse & Joy, Juanes top Latin Grammys". Arabtimesonline.com. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Johnson, Reed (2012-11-15). "Latin Grammy Awards 2012: Juanes, Jesse y Joy win big". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Pitbull, Ke$ha rehearse for American Music Awards". Long Island Press (Morey Publishing). Associated Press. 2012-11-17. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Carrie Underwood, P!nk and Pitbull to perform on 40th American Music Awards | BAM's Blog". Blog.newsok.com. 2012-10-31. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Coral Masters darts tournament comes to Ingliston". Edinburgh News. 1 November 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – Pitbull feat. TJR – Don't Stop The Party". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Pitbull – Don't Stop The Party – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Pitbull feat. TJR – Don't Stop The Party" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Pitbull feat. TJR – Don't Stop The Party" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "National Report - Top Nacional" (in Spanish). National Report. 2013-02-17. Archived from the original on 2013-02-22.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 20134 into search.
- "Lescharts.com – Pitbull feat. TJR – Don't Stop The Party" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Mexico - Rihanna – Diamonds". Billboard.biz. Prometheus Global Media. Archived from the original on January 24, 2013. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Pitbull feat. TJR – Don't Stop The Party" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Dance Top 50.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 20138 into search.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Pitbull feat. TJR – Don't Stop The Party" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Pitbull feat. TJR – Don't Stop The Party – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "Pitbull Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Pitbull. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Pitbull Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Pitbull. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Pitbull Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Pitbull. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2013 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian single certifications – Pitbull – Don't Stop the Party". Music Canada. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Certificaciones –" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Pitbull – Don't Stop The Party". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 4 May 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- - Single by Pitbull iTunes
- "Single by Pitbull". Music-house.co.uk. 2012-11-14. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Praxis Media. "Radio1 Rodos Greece ::: UK Forthcoming Singles ::: Charts, DJ Promos, Dance, Lyrics, Free Mp3 Samples Downloads". Radio1.gr. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "Don't Stop The Party" music video on YouTube
- "Don't Stop The Party" lyric video on YouTube
- "Don't Stop The Party" audio on YouTube