Don't Tell the Band
|Don't Tell the Band|
|Studio album by Widespread Panic|
|Released||June 19, 2001|
|Genre||Rock, southern rock, jam|
|Label||Widespread Records, Sanctuary Records|
|Producer||John Keane, Widespread Panic|
|Widespread Panic chronology|
|Rolling Stone||(Not Rated) |
Don't Tell the Band, is the seventh studio album released by the Athens, GA based band Widespread Panic. It was released on June 19, 2001 in two forms, a single disc and a double disc release. It was the second release through the band's own label, Widespread Records, in conjunction with UK-based label Sanctuary Records. The album covered a wide variety of styles, from rock to Latin and grunge to soul, yet did not depart from this jam band's signature sound.
Randall Bramblett, a solo musician and member of Steve Winwood's touring band, joined Widespread Panic on the tenor saxophone for a cover of Firehose's Sometimes. Big Wooly Mammoth, a long-time crowd favorite sung by John "JoJo" Herman, was finally brought to the studio for this release. Unknown at the time, this would be Michael Houser's last studio album with Widespread Panic, before his cancer-related death in 2002.
All songs by Widespread Panic unless otherwise noted.
- "Little Lilly" – 5:07
- "Give" – 3:29
- "Imitation Leather Shoes" – 4:14
- "This Part of Town" - 5:20
- "Sometimes" (Crawford) – 3:32
- "Thought Sausage" – 4:39
- "Down" – 3:52
- "Big Wooly Mammoth/Tears of a Woman" – 6:45
- "Casa del Grillo" – 6:30
- "Old Joe" – 3:50
- "Action Man" – 4:30
- "Don't Tell the Band" – 4:11
Disc two (Live bonus disc)
- "Action Man" – 4:25
- "Chilly Water, Pt. 1" – 4:02
- "Pleas" – 9:34
- "Chilly Water, Pt. 2" – 2:29
- "C. Brown" – 5:55
Songs from bonus disc comprise the first five tracks of the band's June 2002 release Live in the Classic City and are from the opening of the band's April 1, 2000 performance. "C. Brown" features John Keane on pedal steel. Track 1, "Action Man," appears in its original instrumental form unlike the album version, which contains lyrics. The songs "Action Man" & "Give" appeared in the EA Sports video game NASCAR 2001.
- John Bell - guitar, vocals
- John Hermann - keyboards, vocals
- Michael Houser - guitars, vocals
- Todd Nance - drums, vocals
- Domingo S. Ortiz - percussion
- Dave Schools - bass
- Randall Bramblett - tenor sax on "Sometimes"
- John Keane - pedal steel guitar on "This Part of Town", additional guitar noises on "Casa Del Grillo"
- John Keane - engineer, Mixing
- Ken Love - mastering
- Doug Trantow - engineer, Mixing
- Flournoy Holmes - artwork, Design
- Widespread Panic website
- Everyday Companion
- All Music entry, single disc
- All Music entry, double disc