Don't Think I Don't Think About It
|"Don't Think I Don't Think About It"|
|Single by Darius Rucker|
|from the album Learn to Live|
|Released||May 27, 2008|
|Writer(s)||Darius Rucker, Clay Mills|
|Darius Rucker singles chronology|
"Don't Think I Don't Think About It" is a song recorded by American singer Darius Rucker. The song, co-written by Rucker and Clay Mills, was released in May 2008 as Rucker's first single from his album Learn to Live. The song made Rucker the first individual African-American artist to chart a number one country hit since Charley Pride's "Night Games" reached the top of the charts in September 1983.
"Don't Think I Don't Think About It" is a mid-tempo, backed mainly by guitars. Its narrator describes a man who has left his former lover. He tells her that he thinks about what they could have been.
The song received a positive review from Billboard reviewer Deborah Evans Price, who said that the single "is that perfect combination of solid production, a great vocal and finely crafted song that adds up to a hit." The 9513 reviewer Jim Malec gave the song a "thumbs up" rating. Although he thought that Rucker sounded comfortable in a country setting, and that the song was not overly produced, it still felt "machine-made". Entertainment Weekly simple called the song "pretty great," and People called it a "bittersweet ballad".
"Don't Think I Don't Think About It" debuted at number 51 on the Hot Country Songs charts dated for May 3, 2008. The song reached a peak of Number One on the chart week of October 4, making Rucker the first solo African American artist to reach the top of the country charts since Charley Pride's "Night Games" in 1983. The song remained on top of the chart for a second consecutive week. It is also his first solo Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, at number 35. The song reached over a million copies in sales in May 2014.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||35|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||47|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
"Do You Believe Me Now"
by Jimmy Wayne
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
October 4–11, 2008
"Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven"
by Kenny Chesney
- Price, Deborah Evans. "Don't Think I Don't Think About It". Billboard. Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- Malec, Jim (2008-05-08). "Darius Rucker - "Don't Think I Don't Think About It"". The 9513. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- Pastorek, Whitney (September 19, 2008), "Learn to Live". Entertainment Weekly, (1012):
- Arnold, Chuck (September 29, 2008), "Learn to Live". People. 70 (13):
- "Darius Rucker Takes Country Debut To Number One". Philadelphia At Home. 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- Cohen, Jonathan. "T.I.'s 'Like' Still Cruising Atop Hot 100". Billboard. October 2, 2008.
- Grein, Paul. "Chart Watch: Iggy Azalea’s Amazing Feat". Yahoo!. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Darius Rucker Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Darius Rucker.
- "Darius Rucker Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Darius Rucker.
- "Darius Rucker Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Darius Rucker.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.