Don't Wanna Fall in Love
|"Don't Wanna Fall in Love"|
|Single by Jane Child|
|from the album Jane Child|
|Released||February 10, 1990 (UK)
April 11, 1990 (US)
|Genre||R&B, Synthpop, New Jack Swing|
|Jane Child singles chronology|
"Don't Wanna Fall in Love" is a 1990 hit song for Toronto-born singer/songwriter/musician Jane Child. Released as the second single from her self-titled debut album, the single went to number two for three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in late April and early May 1990, kept out of the top spot by Sinéad O'Connor's ballad "'Nothing Compares 2 U". In addition, a "New Jack Swing" remix of the song was produced by Teddy Riley and reached number six on the R&B chart, and number eleven on the dance chart. Shep Pettibone also remixed the single, but was only released to DJ's. When released around Europe it also became successful. In the UK, the single peaked at a low #22, because Child refused to appear on the popular British TV program Top of the Pops while the single was climbing the charts due to considering appearing on that program a "sellout".
It is Child's best known song and only top 40 hit, making her a one hit wonder in the public eye.
In 2013, the song was featured on Grand Theft Auto V's soundtrack, as part of the radio station Non-Stop Pop's playlist.
The music video, filmed in black and white, was shot in New York at the request of Child, due to having written the song while living there. In it, Child is seen walking through downtown Manhattan at night, alternating with scenes of the artist at work, laying down tracks on a Fairlight and mixing the results on a multitrack board.
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||4|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||52|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||12|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||22|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B Singles||6|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||29|
- Stylus Magazine
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 117.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 57.
- RIAA Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - Jane Child Singles. RIAA.com. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love". Singles Top 60.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1990". Retrieved 2009-09-15.
|This 1990s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|