Don Wilson Basham (September 17, 1926 – March 27, 1989) was a Bible teacher and author. Born and raised in Wichita Falls, Texas, Basham was raised in a Baptist home but later joined the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) whilst at college. He became involved in the Charismatic renewal in 1963. Basham studied at Midwestern State University, Phillips University (BA) and its graduate seminary in Enid, Oklahoma (BD).
Following the reported miraculous healing of a close friend, Basham and his wife Alice experienced a spiritual awakening that led him to leave a career in commercial art in 1951 to enter the Christian ministry. He was ordained as a Disciples of Christ Minister in 1955.
Whilst at college, he met Alice Roling who was also born and raised in Wichita Falls. They married in 1949 and had five children; Cindi, Shari, Glenn, Lisa and Laura. Cindi, one of his daughters, married Dick Leggatt who later became the President of Derek Prince Ministries.
After the publication of his first book, Basham left the pastorate in 1967 to commence a freelance writing and traveling ministry.
He travelled extensively in the US and abroad (Jamaica, England, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Austria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Israel and New Zealand)  teaching on subjects such as the Holy Spirit, deliverance, spiritual authority and faith.
Basham's deliverance ministry resulted in some notoriety. In the 1970s, Basham's and Prince's teaching on deliverance and practice of public exorcisms had a significant impact on the charismatic movement. His stance that a Christian could be demonised also caused some controversy amongst Pentecostals.
Christian Growth Ministries
In 1970, Basham along with Bible teachers Derek Prince, Bob Mumford, Ern Baxter and Charles Simpson were asked to take on the leadership of Holy Spirit Teaching Mission (HSTM) an interdenominational charismatic teaching organisation based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. In 1972, HSTM changed its name to Christian Growth Ministries (CGM).
The four Bible teachers taught a controversial doctrine of so-called 'spiritual covering' that required individual Christians to be submitted and accountable to a leader. They became the leaders of the Shepherding Movement. Basham submitted himself to Derek Prince as his personal shepherd.
Together with Prince and Mumford, Basham established Good News Church in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1974. Basham later relocated with the CGM to Mobile, Alabama in 1982 when it adopted the name Integrity Communications.
Basham was the editor of CGMs monthly magazine, New Wine from 1975 to 1981 and served as chief editorial consultant until it ceased publication in 1986. New Wine at one time was the most widely circulated Charismatic publication in the US.
After the breakup of Integrity Communications, Basham moved to Elyria, Ohio. He continued his travelling Bible teaching ministry but never fully recovered from the disappointment brought about from his involvement with Integrity Communications and the discipleship/Shepherding Movement.
Basham wrote sixteen books and numerous articles for Christian magazines.
- A Handbook on Holy Spirit Baptism
- A handbook on tongues, interpretation and prophecy
- A manual for spiritual warfare
- Beyond Blessing to Obedience, CGM Publishing (1976)
- Can a Christian have a demon?
- Deliver us from Evil
- Deliver us from Temptation
- Face up with a miracle
- Lead Us Not into Temptation, Chosen Books (1986)
- How God guides us
- Spiritual Power: How to Get it, How to Give it
- True and False Prophets, Manna Books (1973)
- Miracle of Tongues
- The Most Dangerous Game
- The way I see it
- Willing to Forgive
- Family, Integrity Publications, (1982)
- The unseen war, New Wine Publications (undated)
- Seed Truth, Manna Christian Outreach (1975)
- Moore, S. David (2002). "Basham, Don Wilson". In Stanley M. Burgess. The new international dictionary of Pentecostal and charismatic movements. (Rev. and expanded ed.). Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan Pub. House. p. 367. ISBN 0310224810.
- Basham, D.W., Deliver Us from Temptation. Chosen Books. 1986
- Basham, D.W., Face Up with a Miracle. Whitaker House. 1967
- Basham, D.W., Deliver Us From Evil. Chosen Books. 1972
- Basham, D.W., Beyond Blessing to Obedience, CGM Publishing, 1976
- Smail et al., Charismatic Renewal: The Search for a Theology, SPECK, London, 1993
- Balmer, R., Encyclopedia of Evangelicalism, Baylor University Press, 2004
- Burgess & McGee (ed)., Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements, Zondervan, 1988
- Synan (ed), The Century of the Holy Spirit: 100 Years of Pentecostal and Charismatic Renewal, Nelson, 2001
- New Wine Magazine archives
- Bob Mumford, Lifechangers
- Charles Simpson Ministries
- Derek Prince Ministries, International
- Good News Church