Lemon at the 2013 Inaugural Dignity Gala
March 1, 1966 |
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Louisiana State University
While in college, Lemon worked as a news assistant at WNYW in New York City. He has also reported as a weekend anchor for WCAU in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania); anchor and investigative reporter for KTVI St. Louis; and anchor for WBRC Birmingham, Alabama.
Lemon reported for NBC News' New York City operations, including working as a correspondent for Today and NBC Nightly News and an anchor on Weekend Today and MSNBC. In 2003 he began at NBC O&O station WMAQ-TV (5 in Chicago), and was a reporter as well as local news co-anchor.
During an on-air interview with members of Bishop Eddie Long's congregation on September 25, 2010, Lemon said that he was a victim of sexual abuse as a child, and that it was not until he was thirty years old that he told his mother about it.
Honors and awards
Lemon won an Emmy Award for a special report on the real estate market in Chicago. He received an Edward R. Murrow Award for his coverage of the capture of the D.C. area sniper, and a number of other awards for reports on Hurricane Katrina, and the AIDS epidemic in Africa.
- "Don Lemon". CNN. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- Don Lemon: Address; Distinguished Alumnus Award, Brooklyn College.
- Williams, Wyatt (December 22, 2011). "Can Don Lemon set CNN straight?". Creative Loafing. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- Lemon, Don. "Black People. Clean Up Your Act". July 23, 2013. CNN. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- Brett, Jennifer. "Fact-checking CNN's Don Lemon". August 2, 2013. Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- Lemon, Don (September 25, 2010). "CNN: Don Lemon - "I Was Attacked By A Pedophile"". YouTube. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Folkenflik, David (May 16, 2011). "Livelihood 'On The Line,' Anchorman Reveals He's Gay". NPR. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- Carter, Bill (May 15, 2011). "Gay CNN Anchor Sees Risk in Book". The New York Times.
- "Anchors & Reporters - Don Lemon". CNN. 2012. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- Laurence Watts (September 15, 2011). "Interview: Don Lemon, CNN’s openly gay anchorman". Pink News. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "CNN.com". CNN.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Don Lemon.|