||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
May 24, 1922|
Inglewood, Los Angeles County
|Died||June 26, 1981
Panorama City, California
Don Megowan (May 24, 1922 – June 26, 1981) was an American actor best known for playing the Gill-man on land in The Creature Walks Among Us, the final part of the Creature from the Black Lagoon trilogy.
Born in Inglewood, California. Megowan served in the United States Army during World War II. Megowan starred in the science fiction films: The Werewolf in the role of Sheriff Jack Haines, in The Creation of the Humanoids (1962) as a captain in the anti-robot Order of Flesh and Blood, who must stop the Humanoids, and more notably, The Gill-man in The Creature Walks Among Us.
Megowan also starred in westerns: Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955), The Great Locomotive Chase (1956), Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966), The Devil's Brigade (1968) and Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles (1974).
In 1962, he starred with Cameron Mitchell in the television series, The Beachcomber. He guest starred in various programs, including the westerns: Wagon Train (twice), The Californians, The Tall Man, Maverick, Cimarron City, Have Gun–Will Travel, Tales of Wells Fargo, The Rifleman, Lawman, Cheyenne, Colt .45, Bonanza, The Americans, Rawhide, and Daniel Boone. He was also cast in episodes of such series as Angel, U.S. Marshal, Get Smart, and Fantasy Island.
Don Megowan as the Gill-man
- 1951 : The Mob
- 1951 : On the Loose
- 1953 : Sangaree
- 1954 : Prince Valiant
- 1955 : Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier
- 1955 : A Lawless Street
- 1956 : The Creature Walks Among Us
- 1956 : The Great Locomotive Chase
- 1956 : The Werewolf
- 1956 : Gun the Man Down
- 1957 : The Delicate Delinquent
- 1957 : The Story of Mankind
- 1958 : Snowfire
- 1958 : The Man Who Died Twice
- 1958 : The Buccaneer
- 1958 : Tales of Frankenstein (TV)
- 1959 : A Lust to Kill
- 1959 : The Jayhawkers!
- 1960 : Road of the Giants
- 1961 : Guns of the Black Witch
- 1962 : The Creation of the Humanoids
- 1962 : The Beachcomber (TV)
- 1963 : For Love or Money
- 1966 : Tarzan and the Valley of Gold
- 1967 : Border Lust
- 1968 : Night Hunt
- 1974 : Scream of the Wolf (TV film)
- 1974 : Truck Turner
- 1975 : The Kansas City Massacre (TV film)
- 1979 : Mrs. R's Daughter (TV film)