|38th Mayor of Duluth|
January 7, 2008
|Preceded by||Herb Bergson|
January 9, 1974 |
Early life and education
Ness was born in Duluth to Don and Mary Ness. His father was the pastor of a small, non-denominational Christian church, who also was Chaplin Northwoods Children's Services. He was educated in Duluth's public school system, attending Central High School, then went on to the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD), where he served as Student Body President in 1995-96, and as chair of the University-wide Student Senate in 1996-97. He graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and was given the Sieur du Lhut Award for his service to the campus.
Ness has a history of active service to and involvement in the Duluth community. He founded the Bridge Syndicate, a group of young people whose mission is to increase civic, cultural, and economic opportunities in the Twin Ports. Ness was also festival director of the Homegrown Music Festival for two years; the festival expanded to an eight-day festival under his leadership.
In the Fall of 1999, Ness was elected to the Duluth City Council as the city's councilor-at-large. In 2001 and 2004, he served as council president.
Mayor of Duluth
Ness sought re-election for a second term in 2011. Ness held a 86% approval rating in July 2011. He was unopposed in the November 2011 Duluth mayoral election, becoming the first Duluth mayor to run for re-election without a challenger in more than one hundred years.
In November 2013, Ness declined a $19,500 increase in annual pay, despite a City Council vote which approved the 25 percent increase from $78,000 to $97,500. This was the first time the council discussed the issue of mayoral pay in 14 years.
Ness and his wife, Laura, met in 2002 when she was a field staff worker for the late Senator Paul Wellstone. They were married in 2004, and are the parents of three children, Eleanor Mary, James Olav, and Owen Fitzpatrick.
- Kelleher, Bob (2008-01-07). "New Duluth mayor to be sworn in Monday night". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- Kelleher, Bob (2011-07-20). "Duluth mayor Don Ness unopposed in election". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- Hoglund, Alan (2012-01-09). "Duluth Mayor, 6 City Councilors Inaugurated". WDIO. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- Kates, Cathy (2012-01-04). "Watch Mayor Ness And Councilors Take The Oath Of Office". KKCB. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- Creger, Mike; Peter Passi (2013-11-27). "Duluth Mayor Don Ness nixes pay raise". Duluth News Tribune. Retrieved 2013-11-27.