Don Robinson (rugby league)
|Full name||Donald Robinson|
4 June 1932 |
|1951–56||Rugby League XIII|
|Source: rugbyleagueproject.org englandrl.co.uk|
Donald "Don" Robinson ( ) birth regsistered in Pontefract, is an English professional Rugby League World Cup winning footballer of the 1940s, '50s and '60s, playing at representative level for Great Britain, England, Yorkshire, and Rugby League XIII, and at club level for Wakefield Trinity, and Leeds, as a Prop, or Second-row, i.e. number 8 or 10, or, 11 or 12, during the era of contested scrums.4 June 1932
Robinson represented the Rugby League XIII while at Wakefield Trinity in 1954 against Australasia, won caps for England while at Wakefield Trinity in 1951 against France, in 1955 against Other Nationalities, and while at Leeds in 1956 against France, and won caps for Great Britain while at Wakefield Trinity in the 1954 Rugby League World Cup against France, New Zealand, and Australia, and France, in 1955 against New Zealand, and while at Leeds in 1956 against Australia (2 matches), in 1959 against Australia (2 matches), and in 1960 against France.
Robinson played at second-row forward in all four of Great Britain's 1954 Rugby League World Cup matches, including Great Britain's 16-12 victory over France in the 1954 Rugby League World Cup final at Parc des Princes, Paris on 13 November 1954 and was named man of the match. For his participation in these four matches, Don Robinson was paid a total of £25 (based on increases in average earnings, this would be approximately £1,410 in 2009).
Challenge Cup final appearances
County Cup Final Appearances
Don Robinson played Right-Second-row, i.e. number 12, in Wakefield Trinity's 17-3 victory over Keighley in the 1951–52 Yorkshire Cup final at Fartown Ground, Huddersfield on Saturday 27 October 1951.
Transfer From Wakefield Trinity To Leeds
Don Robinson was transferred from Wakefield Trinity to Leeds in January 1956, with Fred Smith going the other way. In addition, Wakefield Trinity also received £3,000 (based on increases in average earnings, this would be approximately £143,000 in 2009).
Don Robinson is the brother-in-law of the rugby league footballer Ron Evans.
- "Birth details at freebmd.org.uk". freebmd.org.uk. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "On this Day - November 13 down the years". espn.co.uk. ESPN. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Measuring Worth - Relative Value of UK Pounds". Measuring Worth. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Edgar, Harry (2007). Rugby League Journal Annual 2008 Page-110. Rugby League Journal Publishing. ISBN 0-9548355-3-0
- Lindley, John (1960). Dreadnoughts - A HISTORY OF Wakefield Trinity F. C. 1873 - 1960 [Page118]. John Lindley Son & Co Ltd. ISBN n/a
- "On This Day - 11 May". therhinos.co.uk. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Hoole, Les (2004). Wakefield Trinity RLFC - FIFTY GREAT GAMES. Breedon Books. ISBN 1-85983-429-9
- England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- 1954 Rugby League World Cup
- Floodlit feast at Odsal