Don H. Dwyer, Jr.
|This article or section may be slanted towards recent events. (August 2013)|
|Don H. Dwyer Jr.|
|Member of the Maryland House of Delegates
from the 31st district
January 8, 2003
February 11, 1958 |
|Children||Ashley, Jennifer, Gregg|
|Residence||Glen Burnie, Maryland|
Don H. Dwyer, Jr. (born February 11, 1958) is an American politician and member of the Maryland House of Delegates. He has served the 31st District of Anne Arundel County since 2003. A member of the Republican Party, Dwyer is known for his conservative positions on certain issues, including outspoken opposition to same-sex marriage in Maryland. He was reelected by 25 votes in the November 2006 election and again in 2010. He was defeated in the June, 2014 Republican primary.
Dwyer has admitted to drinking on a "pretty regular" basis, beginning at the end of the 2011 legislative session. He has also spoken of attending counseling sessions and Alcoholics Anonymous meetings to cope with alcohol dependency.
On August 22, 2012, Dwyer was operating a motorboat on the Magothy River when he collided with another vessel, seriously injuring himself, John Moran IV, his companion and former police officer, and five others. Among the others injured were three children, including a 5-year old girl who fractured her skull. Dwyer's blood alcohol content tested three times the legal limit of 0.08. He admitted to operating the boat under the influence at a news conference held outside Maryland Shock Trauma, adding that he regretted his actions. On August 6, 2013, Dwyer pleaded guilty to the charges but appealed his 30-day jail sentence; he awaits re-sentencing in October.
Dwyer claimed his drinking that led to the boat accident was a result of marital problems and feeling betrayed by fellow lawmakers who backed marriage equality legislation in Maryland. Dwyer said "“I felt a tremendous amount of pressure in my family. You take those personal issues [and] add betrayal on the professional side, and it really gets to be overwhelming.”
Early on the morning of August 20, 2013, Dwyer was pulled over by an Anne Arundel County sheriff's deputy in his 2001 Cadillac DeVille for suspected intoxication. After showing signs of alcohol intoxication, failing field sobriety tests, and refusing a to submit to a breathalyzer examination, he was arrested and transported to the Eastern District for booking.
- 2010 Race for Maryland House of Delegates – 31st District
- Voters to choose three:
Name Votes Percent Outcome Nic Kipke, Rep. 24,143 21.96% Won Steve Schuh, Rep. 22,805 20.74% Won Don Dwyer, Jr., Rep. 22,452 20.42% Won Jeremiah Chiappelli, Dem. 12,943 11.77% Lost Justin M. Towles, Dem. 11,968 10.89% Lost Robert L. Eckert, Dem. 11,856 10.78% Lost Other Write-Ins 105 0.1%
- 2006 Race for Maryland House of Delegates – 31st District
- Voters to choose three:
Name Votes Percent Outcome Steve Schuh, Rep. 19,049 18.4% Won Nic Kipke, Rep. 18,150 17.5% Won Don Dwyer, Jr., Rep. 17,558 17.0% Won Joan Cadden, Dem. 17,533 16.9% Lost Thomas J. Fleckenstein, Dem. 16,654 16.1% Lost Craig A. Reynolds, Dem. 14,454 14.0% Lost Other Write-Ins 58 0.1%
- 2002 Race for Maryland House of Delegates – District 31
- Voters to choose three:
Name Votes Percent Outcome John R. Leopold, Rep. 24,937 24.31% Won Joan Cadden, Dem. 16,906 16.48% Won Don Dwyer, Jr., Rep. 16,807 16.39% Won Thomas R. Gardner, Rep. 15,321 14.94% Lost Mary Rosso, Dem. 15,127 14.75% Lost Thomas J. Fleckenstein, Dem. 13,404 13.07% Lost
- "Don H. Dwyer Jr. - House of Delegates". msa.md.gov. Maryland State Archives. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Representative Don H. Dwyer, Jr.". votesmart.org. VoteSmart. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Don Dwyer calls himself "the face of the opposition" to same-sex marriage.". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Maryland's Don Dwyer Claims Gay Marriage Supporters Have Perjured Themselves". On Top Magazine. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Sauers, Elisha; Bottalico, Brandi; Read, Zoe (25 June 2014). "Dwyer loses House seat in 31B; Simonaire advances". Maryland Gazette. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- Prudente, Tim (January 14, 2013). "Dwyer discusses drinking and recovery". Maryland Gazette. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- Rector, Kevin (August 23, 2012). "Del. Dwyer admits to drinking in Arundel boating accident". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "Md. Del. Dwyer acknowledges drinking before operating boat that struck another, injuring kids". Associated Press via The Washington Post. August 23, 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2012.[dead link]
- Wagner, John (August 20, 2013). "Maryland Politics". The Washington Post.
- "Drunken Republican Says It Was Gay Marriage That Made Him Operate Vehicles Under The Influence". addicctinginfo.org. August 24, 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Delegate Dwyer Arrested On DUI Charge, Eye on Annapolis, Retrieved August 20, 2013
- Serino, Louis. "Maryland delegate raffles off two assault weapons in fundraiser". PoliticalPartyTime.org. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "House of Delegates Results". Maryland State Board of Elections. Retrieved on August 25, 2012
- "House of Delegates Results". Maryland State Board of Elections. Retrieved on Aug 12, 2007
- "House of Delegates Results". Maryland State Board of Elections. Retrieved on Nov 13, 2007