Donald J. Boudreaux
|Born||1958 (age 54–55)|
|Institution||George Mason University|
|Field||Law and economics, Austrian economics, International Trade|
|Alma mater||University of Virginia
Early life and education
Boudreaux received a PhD in economics from Auburn University in 1986 with a thesis on “Contracting, Organization, and Monetary Instability: Studies in the Theory of the Firm.” He received a law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1992.
Boudreaux was an Assistant Professor of Economics at George Mason University from 1985 to 1989. He was an Associate Professor of Legal Studies and Economics at Clemson University from 1992 to 1997, and President of the Foundation for Economic Education from 1997 to 2001. He is now Professor of Economics at George Mason University, where he served as chairman of the Economic Department from 2001 to 2009.
He is the author of the 2007 book Globalization (Greenwood Guides to Business and Economics) and 2012 book Hypocrites and Half-Wits.
He spoke at the Freedom Summit in 2001 and 2010.
Views and opinions
Boudreaux argued in October 2009 that insider trading “is impossible to police and helpful to markets and investors....Far from being so injurious to the economy that its practice must be criminalized, insiders buying and selling stocks based on their knowledge play a critical role in keeping asset prices honest—in keeping prices from lying to the public about corporate realities.”
In a January 2013 article for the Wall Street Journal, Boudreaux and Mark Perry argued that the “'progressive' trope...that America's middle class has stagnated economically since the 1970s” is “spectacularly wrong.”
- Globalization (Greenwood Guides to Business and Economics), 2007
- Hypocrites & Half-Wits: A Daily Dose of Sanity from Cafe Hayek, 2012
- "Don Boudreaux: Why I Am A Libertarian". Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Donald Boudreaux". CATO Institute. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Scale of state". TribLive. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Donald J. Boudreaux – IES seminar in Deva, Romania". Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "FREEDOM SUMMIT 2010 SPEAKER - Donald J. Boudreaux". Freedom's Phoenix. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Krugman's Nobel". Editorial, Pittsburgh Tribune Review. October 15, 2008.
- Boudreaux, Donald. "Learning to Love Insider Trading". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Boudreaux, Donald. "Donald Boudreaux and Mark Perry: The Myth of a Stagnant Middle Class". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Boudreaux's Columns
- Roberts, Russ. "Don Boudreaux Podcasts". EconTalk. Library of Economics and Liberty.
- Boudreaux, Donald J. (2008). "Comparative Advantage". In David R. Henderson (ed.). Concise Encyclopedia of Economics (2nd ed.). Indianapolis: Library of Economics and Liberty. ISBN 978-0865976658. OCLC 237794267.
- A video of Boudreaux speaking about Constitutional Political Economy
- Boudreaux speaking on Collective Decision-making