Donald Rosenberg is an American musician, music critic and journalist.
Rosenberg wrote for the Akron Beacon Journal from the early 1980s then for Cleveland's The Plain Dealer from 1992. The Cleveland Orchestra Story (ISBN 1-886228-24-8), his 700-page book on the history of the Cleveland Orchestra, was published in 2000. He was removed from his position as senior music writer for The Plain Dealer in 2008, reportedly for his criticism of the Cleveland Orchestra. Rosenberg was laid off from The Plain Dealer in 2013.
Rosenberg has also written for the Pittsburgh Press, and has been president of the Music Critics Association of North America a number of times. In March 2014, he was named editor of Early Music America Magazine, and as of May 2014[update] he is a faculty member of the Oberlin Conservatory of Music.
- "Oberlin College – Rubin Institute for Music Criticism – Donald Rosenberg". Rubin Institute for Music Criticism. Oberlin College. 2014. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Wakin, Daniel J. (September 24, 2008). "Music Critic vs. Maestro: One Loses His Beat". The New York Times (The New York Times Company). Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Rosenberg, Donald. "Book Excerpt: The Cleveland Orchestra Story". Gray & Company, Publishers. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Ng, David (August 2, 2013). "Critic Donald Rosenberg among layoffs at Cleveland Plain Dealer". Los Angeles Times (Tribune Company). Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "EMA Welcomes Donald Rosenberg as Editor of Early Music America Magazine". Early Music America (Press release). March 13, 2014. Retrieved May 10, 2014.