Donald S. Russell
|Donald Stuart Russell|
|107th Governor of South Carolina|
January 15, 1963 – April 22, 1965
|Lieutenant||Robert Evander McNair|
|Preceded by||Ernest Hollings|
|Succeeded by||Robert Evander McNair|
|United States Senator from South Carolina|
April 22, 1965 – November 9, 1966
Served alongside Strom Thurmond
|Preceded by||Olin D. Johnston|
|Succeeded by||Ernest Hollings|
February 22, 1906|
Lafayette County, Mississippi
|Died||February 22, 1998
Spartanburg, South Carolina
|Alma mater||University of Michigan
University of South Carolina
Donald Stuart Russell (February 22, 1906 – February 22, 1998) was a Democratic Senator from South Carolina. He served from 1965 to 1966. He also served as the 107th Governor of South Carolina, 1963-1965. Russell was a protégé of former Secretary of State James F. Byrnes and served as Assistant Secretary of State for Administration from 1945 to 1947. From 1952 to 1957 he served as president of the University of South Carolina. He ran for governor in 1958 but lost the Democratic primary to Ernest F."Fritz" Hollings. Four years later he was elected governor.
He resigned as governor in 1965 upon the death of Sen. Olin D. Johnston and was appointed by the new governor, Robert E. McNair, to fill the vacancy created by Johnston's death. In the Democratic primary for the special election in 1966 to fill the remainder of Johnston's term, he again lost to Fritz Hollings. Russell was appointed U.S. District Judge for the District of South Carolina by President Lyndon Johnson in 1966, to fill the vacancy created by the death of Russell's former law partner, Charles Cecil Wyche. In 1971, President Richard Nixon appointed Russell to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, where he served until his death, on his 92nd birthday in 1998.
- "Evans-Russell House, Spartanburg County (716 Otis Blvd, Spartanburg)". National Register Properties in South Carolina. South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- Donald S. Russell - South Carolina Political Collections. University of South Carolina Archives. Article retrieved March 10, 2006.
- SCIway Biography of Donald Stuart Russell
- NGA Biography of Donald Stuart Russell
- Donald S. Russell at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Donald S. Russell at Find a Grave
- Donald S. Russell at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Assistant Secretary of State for Administration
September 24, 1945 – January 20, 1947
|Governor of South Carolina
Robert Evander McNair
|United States Senate|
Olin D. Johnston
|United States Senator (Class 3) from South Carolina
April 22, 1965 – November 8, 1966
Served alongside: Strom Thurmond
|This article about a South Carolina politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|