Donald Smith (cricketer, born 1933)
|Full name||Donald Joseph Smith|
19 October 1933 |
Stockport, Cheshire, England
|Bowling style||Right-arm fast-medium|
|Domestic team information|
|Source: Cricinfo, 11 August 2011|
Smith made his debut in county cricket for Cheshire in the 1952 Minor Counties Championship against the Yorkshire Second XI. In 1955, he made his first-class debut for Cambridge University against Surrey in 1955. He made 27 further first-class appearances for the university, the last of which came against Surrey in 1957. In his 28 first-class matches for the university, he took 73 wickets at an average of 31.46, with best figures of 7/55. These figures, one of two five wicket hauls he took, came against Gloucestershire in 1955. With the bat, he scored 128 runs at a batting average of 8.00, with a high score of 18 not out.
During and after his studies at Cambridge, Smith continued to play Minor counties cricket for Cheshire, who he appeared for until 1971, making a total of 57 Minor Counties Championship appearances. He also played List A cricket for Cheshire, making his debut in that format against Norfolk in the 1st round of the 1968 Gillette Cup. In this match, he took the wicket of Graham Saville in Norfolk's innings, for the cost of 44 runs from 12 overs, while with the bat he was dismissed for a single run by Bill Edrich. With Cheshire victorious in this match, he made his second and final List A appearance against Northamptonshire in the following round. In this match, he was dismissed for a duck by Antony Durose, while with the ball he bowled 10 wicket-less overs, with Northamptonshire winning the match by 9 wickets.
- "First-Class Matches played by Donald Smith". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "First-class Bowling For Each Team by Donald Smith". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "Gloucestershire v Cambridge University, 1955". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "First-class Batting and Fielding For Each Team by Donald Smith". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "Minor Counties Championship Matches played by Donald Smith". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "Cheshire v Norfolk, 1968 Gillette Cup". CricketArchive. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "List A Matches played by Donald Smith". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "Cheshire v Northamptonshire, 1968 Gillette Cup". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 August 2011.