Doneil Henry at the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
|Date of birth||April 20, 1993|
|Place of birth||Brampton, Ontario, Canada|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Current club||Toronto FC|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of October 26, 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Youth and college
Henry attended Fletchers Meadow Secondary School and Royal Orchard Middle School in Brampton, Ontario, and began his career with the Brampton Bullets in the GTA. He then moved to North Mississauga as a member of the U-14 program.
Henry appeared for Toronto FC in the 2010 Nutrilite Canadian Championship against the Vancouver Whitecaps and a CONCACAF Champions League Qualifying match against C.D. Motagua. He also played in an international friendly against Bolton Wanderers. He signed with Toronto FC on August 26, 2010 becoming the first TFC Academy player to sign for the first team. Henry made his first league appearance as a sub for Maicon Santos in stoppage time versus DC United October 23, 2010.
Henry made his debut in 2011 two months into the season on June 4, 2011 as a late second half sub for Nana Attakora in a 0-0 home draw against Sporting Kansas City. Following Henry's season debut injuries to Adrian Cann, Nana Attakora and Dicoy Williams began to hurt the club in central defense. Coach Aron Winter was left little choice but to start the young TFC Academy product the following few games including a standout performance on June 15 in a 0-0 away draw against New England Revolution in which he drew high praise from Taylor Twellman who was commentating on the game. After coming on for Richard Eckersley in the second half against Real Salt Lake on April 28, 2012, Henry scored his first goal for Toronto in the 77th minute in a 3-2 away defeat. On August 21, the club announced that it had re-signed Henry to a long term deal.
Henry was selected for the Canada U23 roster to partake in the 2012 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Tournament. After sitting out the first game Henry started and scored the opening goal against the United States U23, the match ended in a 2-0 victory for Canada.
Henry earned his first cap for Canada's senior team August 15, 2012 in a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago. Henry started the match before being subbed out at halftime for Pedro Pacheco, the game ended in a 2-0 victory. On December 10, 2012 Henry was awarded the 2012 Canadian U-20 Player of the Year, receiving 37.8% of the vote and just beating out Samuel Piette for the award.
Last updated on September 8, 2013
|Canada national team|
Statistics as of September 8, 2013
- Meet The Select Seven
- "Henry Making Strides". Toronto FC. 16 June 2011. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- "Reds Suffer Salt Lake Heartbreak". Toronto FC. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Doneil Henry Here To Stay". Toronto FC. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Reds blank Impact in first leg of ACC". Toronto FC. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- Doneil Henry: Matches - canadasoccer.com
- Canadian Press (August 15, 2012). "Ricketts leads Canada to 2-0 Win over T&T". Rogers Sportsnet (Toronto). Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- "Henry, D'Angelo named 2012 Canadian u 20 Players of the Year". Canada Soccer Association. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Canada Finalize roster for Gold Cup, announces friendly". Canada Soccer. Retrieved 2013-06-29.