Donna Air in 2013
2 August 1979 |
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Actress, television presenter|
Donna Air (born 2 August 1979) is a British television presenter and actress.
Early Life, Education and Work
Air was born in Newcastle upon Tyne. Following St Oswald's Primary School in Gosforth, she attended Sacred Heart Convent School on Fenham Hall Drive. Air then graduated from Gosforth Academy, also in Newcastle upon Tyne, where, as a former pupil, she attended the drama school at First Act Theatre. Her fellow students at First Act included Jill Halfpenny and Anthony McPartlin.
Donna started her career age 10 on the hit BBC series CBBC Byker Grove, just over 20 years ago. She then became part of pop duo Crush touring the United States, Japan and South East Asia, returned to the United Kingdom after signing to MTV hosting daily live show - MTV Select, and later became a presenter of several shows, including, The Big Breakfast for Channel 4, TFI Friday with Huey Morgan (from Fun Lovin' Criminals), Popstars: The Rivals Extra for ITV (the show that created Girls Aloud), to name a few. She has also acted in many television dramas, most recently Hollyoaks and Hotel Babylon, BBC TV comedy Operation Good Guys, Catherine Cookson's six parter A Dinner of Herbs, and Lynda La Plante's Supply and Demand. Air appeared in the films Still Crazy (1998), The Mummy Returns, and Bad Day amongst others.
Air presented on Five's early evening, magazine programme Live from Studio Five, alongside regular presenter of the programme, Kate Walsh. Air is also is a brand ambassador for Health Lottery, Burberry, Next, Westfield, Olay, Cadbury's and Triumph.
Air was in a long-term relationship with Damian Aspinall, step-grandson of Sir George Osborne and owner of Aspers, an entertainment company, until July 2007. Their daughter Freya Air Aspinall was born in Westminster, London in September 2003. Air and Aspinall are no longer a couple. Prior to their breakup the couple caused a stir by announcing their intention to place their baby daughter in the care of a gorilla in a ritual Aspinall's older children had already taken part in. Since February 2013, Air has been in a relationship with businessman James Middleton, brother of the Duchess of Cambridge.
- Swann, Yvonne. "Me & my school photo: Donna Air remembers her love of netball and her first break on TV". UK Daily Mail, October 29, 2011. Retrieved October 25, 2014.
- Geordie girl stars, and Sacred Heart Catholic High School for girls. Chronicle Live, dated June 7, 2005
- "donna-air-replaces-jennifer-metcalfe-in-splash-heat-three-line-up". tellymix.co.uk. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Births England and Wales 1984-2006". Findmypast. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- Donna Air splits from £40m zoo tycoon, This is London
- "UK | England | Kent | TV star's baby handed to gorillas". BBC News. 2003-11-10. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Eleanor Harding (March 29, 2012). "Donna Air cleared of parking permit fraud after she told jurors she was too busy to read terms and conditions". Daily Mail Online.