Donna J. Cox is an American artist and scientist, Professor of Art + Design; Director, Advanced Scientific Visualization Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC); Director, Visualization and Experimental Technologies at National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA); and Director, edream (Illinois Emerging Digital Research and Education in Arts Media Institute). She is a recognized pioneer in computer art and scientific visualization.
In 1985 she became a Visiting Assistant Professor at UIUC, in 1990 Associate Professor at the School of Art + Design, and in 1992 a Full Professor. In the same period she started as an Adjunct Professor and Research Artist/Scientist at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) in 1985, became an Associate Director for Education in 1989, Co-Director, Scientific Communications and Media Systems in 1992, Director of the Virtual Director Group in 1997 and Director, Visualization and Experimental Technologies in 2002 and since 2006 Director, Advanced Scientific Visualization Laboratory at the NCSA. From 1989 to 1996 she was Project Leader/PI, Renaissance Experimental Lab, at the NCSA.
Donna Cox is honored at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry as one of 40 selected modern-day Leonardo da Vinci's. In 2008 she receives first Michael Aiken Endowed Chair.
Donna Cox has written several articles, chapters in books and papers. A selection:
- 1987. "Computer Art/Design Curricula in Universities: Beyond the Traditional Approach," D. Cox, Teaching Computer Graphics: An Interdisciplinary Approach, SIGGRAPH 87 Educator's Workshop Proceedings, July 27, 1987, p. 207-233.
- 1988. "Renaissance Teams and Scientific Visualization: A Convergence of Art and Science". In: Collaboration in Computer Graphics Education, SIGGRAPH 88 Educator's Workshop Proceedings, D. Cox, August 1-5, 1988, p. 81 - 104; plus two colorplates, three black/white illustrations.
- 1990. "The Art of Scientific Visualization," in: Academic Computing, Volume 4, Number 6, March 1990, p. 20-22 and 32-40. Includes cover image.
- 1992. "Collaborative Computer Graphics Education," In: Interactive Learning Through Visualization: The Impact of Computer Graphics in Education. Cunningham, S. and Hubbold, R.J. (Eds.)
- 1995. "Education and Collaboration in an Evolving Digital Culture," in: Science Visualization in Math Teaching, Chapter 12, Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE.
- 2003. “Metaphorical Vestiges on Info-Viz Trails,” In: Proceedings of the Consciousness Reframed Conference, July 2–5, 2003, Newport, Wales.
- 2006. "Visualization and Visual Metaphors,” book chapter in Aesthetic Computing, ed. Paul Fishwick, MIT Press/Leonardo Books, 2006, p 89-14
- Donna J. Cox at intellectbooks.co.uk. Retrieved 10 July 2008.
- Professor Donna J. Cox. Abbreviated Vita, Last update September 2006. Retrieved 10 July 2008.
- NCSA's Donna Cox receives first Michael Aiken Endowed Chair released 03.10.08. Retrieved 10 July 2008.