Donna J. Seidel
|Donna J. Seidel|
|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
from the 85th district
|Succeeded by||Mandy Wright|
August 6, 1950 |
Neenah, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point|
Former county clerk
Donna J. Seidel (born August 6, 1950) is an American former politician, police officer and investigator from Neenah, Wisconsin who served as an Democratic Party member of the Wisconsin State Assembly, representing the 85th Assembly District (Wausau and other parts of Marathon County and two tiny portions of Shawano County) from her election in 2004 until 2013.
Seidel was born in Neenah on August 6, 1950. She graduated from Neenah High School, and received a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in 1972. She worked as a police officer, and as an investigator for a district attorney’s office.
She was the elected Marathon County Clerk of Circuit Court from 1989-2004. She ran for the Assembly in 2004, was unopposed in the Democratic primary, and won the general election with 15,666 votes (57.29%) to 11,667 (42.67%) for Republican Sarah Kamke. She was assigned to the standing committees on children and families; on corrections and the courts; on tourism; and on workforce development. She was re-elected in 2006 with 64.55% of the vote and in 2007 became secretary of the Minority Caucus of the Assembly. Re-elected in 2008 with 64.08%, she was elected Assistant Majority Leader of the Assembly Democrats. She was re-elected in 2010 with 52.53% of the vote to 43.15% for Republican Charles Eno and 4.23 percent for Libertarian Jim Maas; and remained Assistant Leader of the Assembly Democrats until she retired in 2012.
Seidel was a candidate in the 2012 Senate recall election for the 29th District Wisconsin State Senate seat formerly held by Republican Pam Galloway (who has already resigned). On June 5, 2012 Jerry Petrowski defeated Seidel in the special election.
Seidel is married. She has one daughter and two step-children.
- State of Wisconsin Blue Book 2005-2006 pp. 76-77, 926, 929
- State of Wisconsin Blue Book 2007-2008 p. 922
- State of Wisconsin Blue Book 2009-2010, p. 924
- State of Wisconsin Blue Book 2011-2012 pp. 75-76, 909
- [http://m.host.madison.com/mobile/article_c74c94d0-6f7a-11e1-a784-0019bb2963f4.html Spicuzza, Mary. "Facing recall, Sen. Galloway retires from state Senate" Wisconsin State Journal March 16, 2012
- Election results
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Follow the Money - Donna J. Seidel
- Campaign 2008 campaign contributions at Wisconsin Democracy Campaign