Donora is an American indie pop/rock/shoegaze band based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They first gained visibility in 2006 as semifinalists in the contest, "Calling All Bands", sponsored by MySpace and Verizon Wireless, for their song "She's Just a Girl". The band had music included on the MTV series Engaged and Underage, Cribs, and Teen Wolf, as well as the direct-to-video comedy Lower Learning, starring Eva Longoria and Jason Biggs.
The trio is composed of drummer Jake Hanner, his younger sister, vocalist/guitarist Casey Hanner, and bassist Jake Churton. The band released their debut album, Donora, in December 2008 on the Pittsburgh-based independent record label Rostrum Records, and received regular airplay on the adult album alternative radio station WYEP-FM. Jake and Casey Hanner are the children of country musician and record producer Dave Hanner, from the country-rock duo Corbin/Hanner.
The band is named after Donora, Pennsylvania. Bethany Hanner, the wife of drummer Jake, saw a road sign for the town and suggested it as the band's name, although the band is from the Gibsonia section of Richland Township in Pittsburgh's North Hills. The band had never been to the town until they performed there as part of a town celebration.
- Donora (2008)
- Boyfriends, Girlfriends (2011)
- Play Nice (2013)
- Behe, Regis (March 15, 2006). "Briefs: Local band is semifinalist in contest". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved on August 4, 2009.
- Hundt, Brad (February 27, 2009). "It's just a name". Observer-Reporter. Retrieved on August 2, 2009.
- Mervis, Scott (January 06, 2009). "Young Pittsburghers to watch in 2009". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved on August 2, 2009.
- Mervis, Scott (September 15, 2011). "Donora, a sibling-powered Pittsburgh band, is back with more infectious New Wave-style songs". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved on January 29, 2012.
- Webb, Rory D. (February 18, 2013). "Donora concludes "Play Nice" tour with sold-out show". Pittsburgh City Paper. Retrieved on May 17, 2013.
- Jentzen Aaron (December 18, 2008). "Indie-rock trio Donora releases debut full-length on Rostrum Records". Pittsburgh City Paper. Retrieved on August 2, 2009.