Dooly County, Georgia
|Dooly County, Georgia|
Dooly County Courthouse in Vienna
Location in the state of Georgia
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Founded||May 15, 1821|
|Named for||John Dooly|
|• Total||397 sq mi (1,028 km2)|
|• Land||392 sq mi (1,015 km2)|
|• Water||5.3 sq mi (14 km2), 1.3%|
|• Density||38/sq mi (15/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Dooly County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 14,918. The county seat is Vienna. The county was created by an act of the Georgia General Assembly on May 15, 1821 and named for Colonel John Dooly, a Georgia American revolutionary war fighter. It was one of the original landlot counties created from land ceded from the Creek Nation.
- Houston County - northeast
- Pulaski County - east
- Wilcox County - southeast
- Crisp County - south
- Sumter County - west
- Macon County - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,525 people, 3,909 households, and 2,767 families residing in the county. The population density was 29 people per square mile (11/km²). There were 4,499 housing units at an average density of 12 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 45.97% White, 49.54% Black or African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.43% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 2.88% from other races, and 0.91% from two or more races. 4.66% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,909 households out of which 33.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.10% were married couples living together, 20.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.20% were non-families. 25.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.60% under the age of 18, 10.30% from 18 to 24, 29.80% from 25 to 44, 22.50% from 45 to 64, and 11.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 109.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 111.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,980, and the median income for a family was $35,337. Males had a median income of $26,670 versus $19,076 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,628. About 18.00% of families and 22.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.50% of those under age 18 and 21.20% of those age 65 or over.
The Big Pig Jig, Georgia's official State Barbecue Cooking Championship, is held annually in Fall in Dooly County and attracts a national audience. The county is also notable for cotton and peanut production.
Dooly County Elementary School Dooly County Middle school Dooly County High School
- Fullington Academy http://www.fullingtonacademy.com/
- Faith Christian School and Church
- George Busbee, governor of Georgia
- Walter F. George, U.S. Senator
- Jody Powell, press secretary and aide to Jimmy Carter
- Roger Kingdom, Olympic gold medalist in track and field
- David Ragan, NASCAR driver
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 108.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
||Macon County||Houston County|
|Sumter County||Pulaski County|
|Crisp County||Wilcox County|