Doomlord (video game)
|Release date(s)||Sept, 2008 (Hungarian version)
July, 2009 (international version)
|Genre(s)||browser-based fantasy role-playing video game|
|Distribution||Text and images|
Doomlord is a browser-based fantasy tabletop role-playing game developed by the Hungarian Beholder Kft. You play the role of a Doomlord or Doomlady. You fight monsters, challenge other Doomlords, venture on adventures and quests, and meanwhile, advance your character by developing abilities, skills and buying equipment.
The game starts with a few simple actions as possibilities. As you advance in the game, you get more and more options. Like most browser-based games, the game has two major aspects: player versus environment and player versus player. During the pve actions, players gather resources to improve their character. The game's main resource is soul-energy (SE), which you gather via hunting. Later on, you get additional pve options, like completing quests, challenging opponents from the dimension gate, doing adventures etc. During the pvp actions, you can engage other players. During these fights, the winner steals soul-energy from the defeated opponent.
During character creation, you have to choose a horde: ruby, emerald, sapphire or diamond. Horde is similar to race in other role-playing games. Each horde gives some unique abilities to its members. Players of the same horde cannot attack each other.
- Ruby: Extra chance to hit in combat, and +5% physical damage.
- Emerald: Spells have higher chance to hit, they also deal 10% more damage with spells. They also have more spell points and can buy spells 1 level earlier than the actual spell level (thus 1 level earlier than the rest of the hordes)
- Sapphire: They take 5% less damage in combat, regenerate HP and mana faster. Healing and mana potions are 25% more efficient.
- Diamond: They get more SE when winning a duel, and they lose less, when they are defeated. They can buy items cheaper.
- Abilities. Players have 8 abilities, strength (increases physical damage), attack (increases chance to hit), defense (decreases chance to be hit), constitution (modifies hit points and regeneration rate), IQ (increases spells chances to hit and at same time reduces the chance to be hit by spells), magic (modifies spell points and SP regeneration rate), thaumaturgy (increases spell damage) and luck (affects combat and other things; you have to build in a clan to get this ability).
- Skills. Skills become available from level 4. The game has 45 different skills. Some modify pve elements, like increasing SE or reducing times, some modify combat, some modify other variables of the game. The higher your learning skill, the more skills you can choose from.
- Pets. After capturing a pet with the trapping skill, you can train it. Eventually you can have several pets. They will fight for you, they will advance and get more powerful. You can name them, give them equipment, heal them or even squeeze out their soul-energy.
- Equipment. As you advance in level, you can buy more and more powerful equipment from the soul-huckster. You can also get items as rewards for various actions.
Players can form clans. to cooperate with other players of the same horde. Clan members can help each other, and they can build structures together which offer various benefits. Clans can war each other and steal soul-energy from the defeated clan. Clans can also build an epic monument which makes possible to challenge opponents of epic proportions, which the clan members can only defeat together. Killing an epic opponent yields epic treasure, which is won by the clan member who bids the most treasure points.
Doomlord has several unique features which distinguish it from the average browser-based games.
- Built-in quiz system. While hunting monsters, the players can answer quiz questions to break the monotony of repetitive actions. They can even write questions themselves.
- The game has regular championship events to test the players against each other for special prizes.
- The game has special, timed events, where the players are split into groups, and compete for a limited time for one-time treasures.
- Doomlord has its own Legend, a story which unfolds as players advance levels.
- At level 24, the auction house opens, where players can bid on a large number of unique artifacts for their golden ducats.
- The game is developed continually, generating content and goals for even high level players who play the game for longer than one year.
Doomlord first launched in Hungarian, by the name Végzetúr, in September 2008. The first game world was followed by a second in Nov, 2008. The third game world started in Jan, 2009, with a different ruleset: this world limited some of the pvp aspects, giving more weight to the pve aspects. The game is also running a competitive 4th world, at triple speed, with winning conditions which are usually being met in 2–3 months. After that, the winners get prizes, and the server is restarted.
The international (English language) version started in July 2009. The second international game world launched in March 2010.
As of March, 2010, the game has in its database 541 unique creatures, 1226 different items and 110 quests. The Hungarian version has 40,000 registered players, 150,000 quiz questions and 580 unique adventures. The international version has 17,000 players and 10,000 quiz questions.