|Dora Baltea / Doire Baltée|
The river near Rondissone
Dora baltea location within northern Italy
|Origin||Entrèves near Courmayeur|
|Mouth||Po River near Crescentino|
|Basin countries||Italy, Switzerland|
|Length||168.3 km (105 mi)|
|Source elevation||1,400 m (4,600 ft)|
|Avg. discharge||(mouth) 96.0 m3/s (3,390 cu ft/s)|
|Basin area||3,890.52 km2 (1,502 sq mi)|
Dora Baltea [ˈdɔːra ˈbaltea] or Doire Baltée [dwaʁ balte] (Latin: Duria maior or Duria Bautica; Arpitan: Djouire (Valdôtain); Piemontese: Deura Bàotia), is a river in northern Italy. It is a left-hand tributary of the Po River and is about 170 kilometres (110 mi) long.
As it crosses the Aosta Valley, the Dora Baltea flows through the city of Aosta (where the Buthier runs into it) and near all the main cities of the lower Aosta Valley: Châtillon, Saint-Vincent, Verrès and Pont-Saint-Martin. After it enters Piedmont, it passes through the city of Ivrea and a good part of Canavese, gets from its right hand the waters of the Chiusella and reaches the Po at Crescentino, a little downstream from Chivasso.
It is a popular place for whitewater rafting and kayaking. Early in the summer, in May and June, the rivers are usually high with snow melt from the mountains. During July, August and September the water levels are usually lower and the temperature warmer.
- The Dora Riparia is another tributary of the Po.
- of very limited extension (south of the Great St Bernard Pass)
- AA.VV. (2004). "Elaborato I.c/5". Piano di Tutela delle Acque - Revisione del 1º luglio 2004; Caratterizzazione bacini Idrografici. Regione Piemonte. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- AA.VV. (2004). "Elaborato I.c/7". Piano di Tutela delle Acque - Revisione del 1º luglio 2004; Caratterizzazione bacini Idrografici. Regione Piemonte. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- Dòra Bàltea, on-line article on www.sapere.it
|This Aosta Valley location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Piedmont location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|