Doris Holmes Blake
|Doris Holmes Blake|
January 11, 1892
|Died||December 3, 1978(aged 86)|
Doris Holmes Blake, née Doris Mildred Holmes (January 11, 1892 - December 3, 1978), was an American entomologist and scientific illustrator. She was an expert on chrysomelidae (leaf beetles).
Doris Holmes was raised in a middle-class family in Stoughton, Massachusetts. She earned a B.A. in 1913 from Boston University and an M.A. in Zoology and Psychology from Radcliffe College in 1917. Marrying the botanical taxonomist Sidney Fay Blake in 1918, she worked for the Bureau of Entomology of the United States Department of Agriculture from 1919 to 1928. From 1928 she worked at the Department of Entomology of the United States National Museum. Forced to resign in 1933 by her husband's employment at the Department (the law prohibited more than one member of a family holding a government position), she continued studying beetles as an unpaid Associate of the Smithsonian Institution at Washington, D.C. until her death.
Some of Blake's entomological and botanical sketches, as well as her non-academic writing, are also included. The papers also include a number of photographs of Blake and her family and of entomologists, both at the Smithsonian and at USDA. Her papers are held by the Smithsonian Institution.
|Library resources about
Doris Holmes Blake
|By Doris Holmes Blake|
- A review of the beetles of the genus Disonycha occurring in America north of Mexico, 1934. Smithsonian Institution.
- A study of LeConte's species of the chrysomelid genus Graphops with descriptions of some new species, 1955
- A review of the beetles of the genus Neobrotica and some closely related genera, 1966. Proceedings of the United States National Museum, v. 118, no. 3529.
- A review of the beetles of the genus Metachroma Chevrolat (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), 1970. Smithsonian contributions to zoology, no. 57.
- The costate species of Colaspis in the United States (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), 1974. Smithsonian contributions to zoology, no. 181.
- The brown semicostate and costate species of Colaspis in Mexico and Central America (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), 1976. Technical bulletin (United States. Dept. of Agriculture), no. 1534.
- "Record Unit 7310, Blake, Doris Holmes, 1892-1978, Doris Holmes Blake Papers". Smithsonian Archives. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Full maiden name information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF) . Retrieved on 2012-03-31.
- Entomological Society of Washington (1981). "Doris Holmes Blake". Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 83 (3): 544–564.
- Froeschner, R.C.; Froeschner, E.M.L; Cartwright, O.L. (1981). "Doris Holmes Blake, January 11, 1892--December 3, 1978". Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 83 (3): 544–564.
- Margaret W. Rossiter (15 September 1998). Women Scientists in America: Before Affirmative Action, 1940-1972. JHU Press. p. 487. ISBN 978-0-8018-5711-9. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Doris Holmes Blake Papers, 1899-1985 from the Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Doris Blake: The Courtly Coleopterist