Dorofei (or Dorotheus Russian: Дорофей) is a rare Neva Masquerade (Siberian breed) cat with blue eyes belonging to former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and his wife Svetlana Medvedeva. Dorofei took over the title of First Pet from Vladimir Putin's black labrador Koni, when Medvedev was inaugurated on 7 May 2008.
Early life 
Dorofei was born in 2004. The Neva Masquerade breed comes from Saint Petersburg, however Dorofei was bred by the Great Hunter breeding company in Moscow. Svetlana Medvedeva bought Dorofei from the breeders as a kitten, and took him back to Saint Petersburg. Neva Masquerades with a good pedigree can cost up to twenty thousand Russian rubles.
Noviye Izvestiya reported that Dorofei once got into a fight with a cat belonging to Mikhail Gorbachev, who was Medvedev's neighbour. Dorofei lost the fight, and was put onto antibiotics for a month to help heal the injuries he sustained in the fight, and was also castrated to prevent a repeat incident. It was reported by Reuters that in the lead up to Medvedev's inauguration, the Russian media shied away from investigating his history, so they focused on Dorofei instead.
In Kremlin 
Russian media reported that Dorofei was a rather tough character, being independent and not following protocol. In June 2008, Russia issued a new non-currency banknote to delegates at the International Economic Forum in St. Petersburg, featuring Dorofei on one side and a famous local cat on the other side. The banknote, named Tishka, issued on the International Day of St. Petersburg’s Cats.
In November 2008, when Medvedev met with Taro Aso at the APEC meeting in Peru, Medvedev gave the Japanese Prime Minister a radio-controlled flying Doraemon toy for his son. It was reported at the same time that in Tokyo the idea of a cartoon film featuring the joint adventures of Doraemon and Dorofei were being discussed, in what the Japanese called an important step of rapprochement between Japan and Russia.
- "Dmitry Medvedev’s castrated tomcat comes to the Kremlin". Pravda. 18 March 2008. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "The Kremlin Cat Dorofei (Colour Point Siberian)". Mento Birmans and Siberians. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Назван преемник лабрадора Кони – кот Дорофей" (in Russian). Noviye Izvestiya. 17 March 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- Shchedrov, Oleg (20 March 2008). "Kremlin pets: cat follows dog". Reuters. Retrieved 5 April 2009.
- Martin, Ben (15 March 2008). "Dmitry Medvedev's cat, the Kremlin coward". The Telegraph. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Преемником Кони стал Дорофей" (in Russian). Moskovsky Komsomolets. 14 March 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "New money celebrates Medvedev’s moggy". RT. 8 June 2008. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Японцы подарили сыну Медведева робокота" (in Russian). ForUM. 26 November 2008. Retrieved 5 April 2009.