Dorothea of Saxony
|Dorothea of Saxony|
|Spouse(s)||Henry Julius, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel|
|Noble family||House of Wettin|
|Father||Augustus, Elector of Saxony|
|Mother||Anne of Denmark, Electress of Saxony|
4 October 1563|
|Died||13 February 1587
Dorothea of Saxony (German: Dorothea von Sachsen; 4 October 1563, Dresden – 13 February 1587, Wolfenbüttel) was a Saxon princess from the House of Wettin and by marriage Duchess of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel.
Dorothy was a daughter of the Elector Augustus of Saxony (1526-1586) from his marriage to Anna (1532-1585), daughter King of the Christian III of Denmark. Only four of the 15 children from the marriage of her parents, who survived their father; Dorothea was among them.
She married on 26 September 1585 in Wolfenbüttel the later Duke Henry Julius of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel (1564-1613). Her mother Anna was at that time seriously ill and Dorothea had felt very badly and cried pitifully when she said farewell. In this poem, Henry embodied Henry the Lion.
Dorothea died in childbirth in 1587. She was only 23 years old.
From her marriage to Henry Julius Dorothea had one daughter:
- Dorothea Hedwig (1587-1609)
- married in 1605 Rudolf of Anhalt-Zerbst (1576-1621)
References and sources
- Wilhelm Havemann: Geschichte der Lande Braunschweig und Lüneburg, p. 421
- Günter Meissner: Saur allgemeines Künstlerlexikon, K.G. Saur Verlag, p. 508
- Jörg Jochen Berns: Höfische Festkultur in Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel, 1590-1666: Vorträge eines ..:, p. 421
- Karl August Muffat: Die Verhandlungen der protestantischen Fürsten in den Jahren 1590 und 1591 ..., p. 5
- Karl von Weber: Anna Churfürstin zu Sachsen geboren aus königlichem Stamm zu Dänemark, p. 495