Dorothy Must Die
First edition book cover
|Series||Dorothy Must Die|
|Media type||Print, e-book, audiobook|
|Preceded by||No Place Like Oz|
Dorothy Must Die is a 2014 young adult book by Danielle Paige and her debut novel. The book, which was produced through Full Fathom Five, was released on April 1, 2014 through HarperCollins and was preceded by the novella No Place Like Oz. Dorothy Must Die is the first book in the Dorothy Must Die series and The CW is currently in negotiations to produce a television series based upon the series.
Amy Gumm is an intelligent young teen that goes through her life with a sense of grim acceptance. She allows the school heartthrob to copy her homework, but knows that he's only using her and has no romantic or friendly interest in her. However this doesn't sit well with his pregnant girlfriend, who picks a fight with Amy. The fight ends with Amy getting suspended from school, which is met with a mixture of irritation and indifference from her drug addicted mother. She leaves Amy to remain at home by herself, only for Amy to get caught in a tornado. Through this tornado Amy is transported to Oz, which she had previously thought was only a story. Despite her bewilderment, Amy discovers that not only does Oz exist but Dorothy does as well, and she has become a dictator that rules Oz with an iron fist. Amy is tasked with stopping Dorothy by any means necessary.
A prequel, No Place Like Oz, was released in e-book format on November 12, 2013 through HarperCollins. The story is set before the events in Dorothy Must Die but after Dorothy's first trip to Oz. It follows Dorothy as she decides to return to Oz, as she misses the adventure, fame, and vibrancy of the magical world. Her life in Kansas is lackluster and Dorothy decides that she will return to Oz regardless of its cost to other people.
Nerdist gave Dorothy Must Die a positive review, commenting that "In less skilled hands, all this could make for a trite take on well-worn territory. But Paige gives Amy a strong voice and an even stronger point of view." Kirkus Reviews gave a mostly positive review, stating "In the end, it’s just another violent dystopian series opener for all its yellow-brick veneer, but it’s a whole lot more fun than many of its ilk." A senior editor for the School Library Journal praised the work as being "gory, grim, and fast-paced".
- "'Dorothy Must Die' series gives Oz heroine a wicked spin". USA Today. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Latest Wizard of Oz TV Project Dorothy Must Die Catches The CW's Eye". Dread Central. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Lee, Stephan. "HarperCollins announces Oz-inspired series 'Dorothy Must Die'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "'Dorothy Must Die' Will Change How You Feel About Oz". MTV. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "CW In Talks For ‘Wizard Of Oz’ Drama Produced By ‘Heroes’ Creator Tim Kring". Deadline. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "‘Heroes’ Creator Tim Kring in Talks With The CW For ‘Wizard of Oz’ Series". CBR. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Herstick, Lauren. "Book Review: DOROTHY MUST DIE by Danielle Paige". Nerdist. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "DOROTHY MUST DIE (review)". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Mapping Our Worlds". SLJ. Retrieved 24 March 2014.